"It Happened!" Transom has to be replaced! (NOW W/PICS)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Because I don't know what "fairing compound" is! First time I've heard of it. I'm a novice and will have to go to the Fiberglass Store and see what it is and how to use. I'm still "fishing" for advice and everyone has "their" favorite way of doing/using a product to a particular end.

Gotcha. But fairing compound will be SO much easier to sand smooth... you will not regret it!

Hope you feel better soon, too!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Talk to the guys at Fiberglass coatings when you get there. Most have been in the repair business for years

LX Kid

Ensign
"I'M STILL ALIVE!" My wife returned home from Vegas last night and she "noticed" the Grady was back home. She asked why it was here and all I said was it came back home and left it at that. She didn't push the issue so I guess I'm good "for the moment."

See if I can get over to Fiberglass Coatings and ask some questions about Fairing Compound and see if I can get the project back on track. One of the ex-partners, fiberglass man, called and said he would give me a hand if I wanted. Glad to accept his help. He's primary interest are wood working and gardening but is always willing to give a hand.

tpenfield

Staff member
"I'M STILL ALIVE!" My wife returned home from Vegas last night and she "noticed" the Grady was back home. She asked why it was here and all I said was it came back home and left it at that. She didn't push the issue so I guess I'm good "for the moment."

If we don't hear from you for a while, we will assume that she dug a bit further into the matter :rolleyes: :D

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Bought the Fairing Putty this morning. The pictured product was what was suggested that I use. Built "most" of the outdrive maintenance stand yesterday.

Attachments

• photo280286.jpg
    photo280286.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280287.jpg
    photo280287.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 0

zool

Captain
Thats a polyester product similar to bondo, and it says it must be used with glass cloth for proper cure....I suppose you could give it a try, its waterproof at least.

Pettit ezfair is epoxy based.....that would be a better choice...

LX Kid

Ensign
Thats a polyester product similar to bondo, and it says it must be used with glass cloth for proper cure. Pettit ezfair is cheap and is epoxy based.....that would be a better choice...

Well what would I know? I asked the "expert" and this was his recommendation and gave an explanation on how to work it. He has over 20 years of fiberglass experience. Everyone is going to have their own pet product but I can't jump form one to another, to another. I'll use it and see how it goes.

zool

Captain
You have it now, so just use it, it will be easy to sand , just not sure why Evercoat says "must" be used with cloth for proper cure...

LX Kid

Ensign
You have it now, so just use it, it will be easy to sand , just not sure why Evercoat says "must" be used with cloth for proper cure...

Maybe I'll call Evercoat tech support and ask. This is being used as a final feathering coat. No deep holes and crevices to fill.

zool

Captain
Maybe I'll call Evercoat tech support and ask. This is being used as a final feathering coat. No deep holes and crevices to fill.

Yea, they must mean if your trying to repair a damaged area...you'll be laying it on thin anyway

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

All I have to do is a little cross bracing and the outdrive maintenance stand will be done. Made it high enough that I can drain the gear lube into a pan at the bottom.

Attachments

• photo280338.jpg
    photo280338.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280460.jpg
    photo280460.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Made a work table this morning to set up next to the boat. I sold my wood planer on Craigslist but kept the stand. "Almost looks like I'm getting ready to do some work!" Possible I may start on the filling/feathering tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo280398.jpg
    photo280398.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280399.jpg
    photo280399.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
MOD EDIT - Not permitted.

stand.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Bought a trim pump J1171 off Craigslist for $20. It came with SS bracket and two solenoids. It was locked up and it was a "gimbal" at best! I took it apart and it was full of water. It probably was under water. Anyway I took it apart and the pump was locked up so polished the gear shafts and got the pump working smoothly. The gear shafts were frozen to the pump housing holes. The motor was really a nasty affair. Wish I had taken before and after cleaning pictures but only took after. Letting it sit in the sun to dry out and will test after. I cleaned the armature on the wire wheel and got most everything clean. Will do an ohm check on everything later.

Attachments

• photo280501.jpg
    photo280501.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280502.jpg
    photo280502.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Dosen't look to bad, Hope it works out. And at $20 definitely worth a shot

LX Kid

Ensign
Dosen't look to bad, Hope it works out. And at $20 definitely worth a shot

Had a lot of problems with the old original style and may or may not be good now. Be nice to have a cheap back up pump. If motor bad I see some used ones from about $70-$100.

I don't remember exactly how to check out the windings of the field coil on a 3-wire field. Anyone got a tip for me?

If my sinuses weren't so plugged up I'd be out there finishing off the transom. (Tip: "Don't get old" cause it takes long time to well from just a simple cold virus!)

LX Kid

Ensign
Yea! I put the motor back together and it works perfect. Now the only thing left is to find or mill a motor to pump union. I found it broken when I took pump off motor.
20171107_105321_resized.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Started feather filling the transom this morning. This is the first coat to be sanded down. Next will be the final thin finish coat. Seems to going along pretty good. Gotta get back out there and start the sanding process. (I hate this part!) LoL

Attachments

• photo280606.jpg
    photo280606.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280607.jpg
    photo280607.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280608.jpg
    photo280608.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0