1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I bought her in December for $250.00 As you can see I don't know how to set the date on my camera, and yes my VCR is Flashing 12:00!!!!
15' Lonestar "Flamingo"

Been following Archbuilder and Micks110 alot as well as OOPs and BOB VT. FANTASTIC stuff. I have a lot of woodworking experience and "Mr. Fixit" mentality. Have posted a few comments here and there as I felt I had knowledge to help out. Have done some fiberglass fabrication in the past. Owned a few boats in my past. But never tried to restore one. At 60 yrs old been a little apprehensive about getting in over my head but what the heck, I decided to do it anyway. I KNOW you guys will pitch in WHEN I need it and I KNOW I WILL need it. This forum and you guys have inspired me to make the attempt. Been waiting for the weather to get warmer and it has, Soooooooooooo here goes.

40 HP Evinrude LARK (Came with 3 Solid Brass Props)

Selectric Pushbutton Shift. (Tested and Works Perfect)

Keel is very rough due to "Beaching" (Not a very good attempt at patching by the PO. I can fix that!!)

Boat is complete with all working guages and minimal pitting on the chrome. (The Old Depth finder has GOT TO GO! The CB Radio Too!!!!)

Windshield is relatively clear and a good buffing should bring her back to near perfect.

Seats are pretty much shot! Frames are good so upholstery shop should be able to bring em back to life. Cost estimate for both is about $400.00

Floor has NO soft spots. Random drilling on transom yielded "Dry Wood" at all points. Boat was always stored inside, Never had carpet. Nothing to hold water on the deck sooooo.... I think I have a winner. Not sure this "Old Man" could do all that Micks110 did to his 62' Traveler with the complete tear out and replacement of stringers and transom. Great Job Micks. You too Arch!!

Will strip all the "Jewelry" of of her this weekend, clean out the inside, give her a bath and start filling and wet sanding in preparation for primer and paint.

More pics to follow on PhotoBucket. Hope you guys will stick with me as I struggle along.

Attachments

• 288.jpg
    288.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 9
  • 290.jpg
    290.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 291.jpg
    291.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 292.jpg
    292.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1543.jpg
    1543.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - Splashed w/Pics

Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - Splashed w/Pics

I just realized my pic's are TOOOOOO Big. I will fix that in the future. Sorry bout that!!!

Last edited:

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

I bought her in December for $250.00 As you can see I don't know how to set the date on my camera, and yes my VCR is Flashing 12:00!!!!
15' Lonestar "Flamingo"

YOU still have a VCR!!! WOW!!!:D:D

It does look like you got a winner, if all the wood is good the work should be pretty streight foward, cant wait to see what you do with her!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

One look at that boat, and "Classy Lady" comes to mind!!! I'm gonna enjoy watchin the process as ya move along!!!

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a nice looking boat for 48yrs young, same age as me and i bet shes in as good if not better shape, unless u dig up a hornets nest this should b a nice easy resto on her, good luck, nice to see a gem dug up now and then, D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Awesome boat, and in great condition! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress....hopefully we can meet up one of these days and compare notes! Looks like you have a lot to work with.....nice that all the controls are still intact. Finding all the little pieces has been a real struggle for me. Keep us posted!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Arch,

Since both my Kids live in Edmond, I am sure we will be able to meet up this summer. I was just informed by the wife that the Community Bath needs remodeled soooo.... it's off to Lowe's this weekend for a new Fiberglass tub kit, some Medicine Cabinets and some new tile. Brother in Law is coming down next weekend to help so I might be able to "git er dun" and get back on the boat without to much of a delay. I still plan on stipping her down and trying to do some fillin and patchin this weekend. Will keep ya posted with details and some pics. Your seats are lookin great. Look forward to seeing the final product.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sweet looking ride! Don't let that flasher go...just place it else where on the ship{or send it here lol}...can't tell the make, but my Lowrance is super sensitive, it can show a fish eye blink ;) ...Enjoy your journey!

Here's where I'm putting mine, the lcd will be on or near the dash...
storage4.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well the weather finally cooperated for a couple of days so I got back on the boat. Got some pics so I will hopefully get em posted tomorrow. Stripped her down but had some problems with the steering wheel. You'll see in the pics. Anyway gettin excited again. More later.

I'm just sayin...:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you got her going! Hurry up and get some pictures posted!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well my brother in law, son in law and neighbor helped me a couple of nites last week and I been sneakin a few late hrs here and there and we got quite a bit done. First we got the motor off and loaded into my BIL's truck. He is a GREAT mechanic and he hauled it to his house to start the rebuild. I bought $300 in New parts so when he's done she oughta per like a new one. We then started stripping everthing that wasn't permanently attached and a few that were. Here's what she looks like now.

From the Stern

100_3450.jpg

Starboard

100_3451.jpg

From the Right side of the bow

100_3452.jpg

From the Left side of the Bow

100_3453.jpg

Port

100_3454.jpg

Deck and Dash

100_3460.jpg

That's all the pics for this post. I'll Post some more in a bit.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

More pics of the progress

Seat Mounts on the Deck

100_3457.jpg

Bilge

100_3458.jpg

And the best surprise of all, after I pulled the MASSIVE Splash Well This is what I found underneath.

100_3459.jpg

Totally 100% dry plywood transom. Not bad for a 48 year old boat!!! I drilled some holes down low on the inside and got Dry shavinngs too! I am totally shocked. I was told by the PO that she was used very little and stored in a Barn out of the weather so I guess I should'nt be to surprised but still I think it's pretty rare. She had some water under the deck due to a hole in the hull so I'm not sure about the stringers but the deck has NO soft softs YET so we'll see how it goes for now.

100_3460.jpg

The Steering Wheel didn't make it. I tried earlier in the spring to remove it and destroyed it in the process. I found a replacement on Ebay. I still cannot get the Hub off. Tried Heat, BF Hammer still stuck solid. Gear Puller won't attach at least mine won't. Any ideas guys????

100_3462.jpg

Windshield is in very good shape. A little polishing and I think she'll be good to go. I did a spot on her already with a Headlight polish kit and it turned out great.

More pics in next post. Almost done:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's that MASSIVE Splash Well I was Telling you about. She's made of aluminum and was painted blue like the boat. Plan on stripping her down and trying to polish her to a chrome like finish. We'll see how that goes.

100_3463.jpg

Guages and wiring are Fair. Some pitting but I think I'm gunna keep em. I like the idea of keep her all original. If it all works then I think they look good enough to keep.

100_3464.jpg

Seats are in BAD shape. I am looking on CL now for a Sewing Machine and I'm gunna spend the winter trying to make my own covers. We'll see how that goes. I actually have done some sewing in the past but it was a LONG time ago. My sis is really good so maybe she can help to. Want to try to make an Chevron look. I might scrap the Back to back seats and make my own Bench Seats. It was an option on the Original boat back then. I like that look too!

100_3466.jpg

100_3467.jpg

Last but not least is all the Jewelry. The Horn the Bow Handle the Bow Light with the Kool Pennant Mast. They all Work and they have very little pitting. Will make her Look sharp when she goes back together.
I Plan on going back just like she was.

100_3468.jpg

Next will be to build a Mobile Base, Flip Her and start prepping the Hull for Pettit EasyPoxy. Then Sandblast and Fix My KOOL Gator Trailer. Set her back on the trailer then Bikini Blue EasyPoxy on the TopSide. Using Rusoleum Professional for the Floor and will give her a Speckle finish. Probably sprinkle some sand too. The heat is back on so now I have to wait again. I'll let you know when I get back on her. Next project is to build my mobile base to set her on when we flip her.

Later

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey your pics didn't attach for some reason....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry bout the pics. I THUNK I fixed the problem. Let me know if not

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm gunna use these 8" harbor freight casters so I can roll her around the yard since that's where I'll be doing most of the work. They're rated @ 260# so I think they should take the weight. We'll see. I hope they do. Sure would make it easy on this old man. Any of you guys care to "Guess-timate" how much she might weigh? You think 4 "Liquored up" Young friends with strong backs could roll her over and lift her a foot off the ground?

image_980.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

3 of us picked up Miss Morgan's stripped down hull...of course big Matt is 6'-7" and 280....he had the bow! Its hard to say not knowing with the floor still in her. I'm lucky enough to have a loader. I'm guessing Miss Morgan with the floor and transom in was about 700#. How are you going to flip her? I just rolled Miss Morgan over on some old carpet padding. You could just roll her over and set some blocks under her so that you could get a floor jack under her. Then you could just raise her up and put your dolly under her.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, the plan is to set her in the yard and roll her on to some old carpet pad. My sister in law works at a carpet place and can get me all I need. Good idea about keeping her propped up a bit and then jackin her up. I'll keep ya psted and let ya know how it goes. We Might try and do next week some time depending on the weather and everyones availability.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I did some work on her this morning. Mixed up some 3M High Strength filler and filled in all the gouges, screw holes and bolt holes on the interior of the transom. I'll redrill them later. I also removed the Seat Clips. They kind remind me of broom handle clips like you use in the garage to hold your brooms. This boat was designe to be able to have either left or right hand steering. There was a bracket on the left side of the boat riveted to the gunwale that I had to drill out and remove. The cover Plate for the Steering wheel is a moot point cuz that's where the Radio/CD player will be mounted. I decided to go ahead and shoot some Rustoleum Professional on the deck and side hull before I roll her onto the Dolly and start the hull so I sanded down the entire inside of the boat. We're supposed to have a front come in this week and if it does I will get the paint all prepped the nite before and be ready to get up brite and early the next moring when it is in the 70's and shoot it. I want to give it a two tone zolatone look like andgott did only I'll use a dark blue and a light blue. I think that will make her look good. Still planning on getting her off the trailer and onto the dolly next weekend if I can get my BIG helpers all ligned up. Gotta go buy a case of Bud Light!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking good. Unbelievable condition that thing is in. If it was mine, I'd start saving up for a set of new (probably white) back to back loungers. Most of the DIY upholstery attempts I've seen (with a few notable exceptions) look very DIY. I think the loungers are the ideal seating arrangement for that boat.