Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

• Get just the H1N1 shot?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skargo

Banned
Re: Hows everyone feel bout getting flu and H1N1 shots for self and kids?

Agree on the Flu hysteria. Don't agree on the general anti-vaccine fad that is running around.

Gotcha! I've got vaccination scars on my shoulder. :D

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I will not go out of my way to get it but if it's offered I will take it. I will also take extra care to wash my hands frequently and avoid touching my eyes/mouth.

One thing that worries me is that in the 1976 flu pandemic, more people died from the vaccine than died from the flu!

Guess you take a chance either way.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

We're on the fence on the H1N1. Nobody will be getting the regular flu shot. I had it once years ago and got sicker than a dog. I never get the flu, colds yes. We have a 13 year old daughter. I feel like we're between a rock and a hard place. I'm not sure the vaccine has been tested enough. Seems like they're testing as they're injecting. We received a consent form from the school that we did not sign because it gave the school the authority whether to give the shot or the nasal spray. The school is NOT going to make that decision. For one, we've already decided she will not be getting the nasal spray/live virus. It's not available around here and don't know when it will be. Maybe when it arrives and if everyone has the swine flu, she'll get the vaccine. I guess we'll cross that bridge when the vaccine is available. Hopefully, we will learn alot more by then..... What concerns me too is all the healthcare professionals that refuse to get it....

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I've had the flu shot and will get the Hamthrax vaccine when it's available. For those who choose not to get it, make sure you stock up on oinkment.:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you get a H1N1 shot it is not a live virus.... If you get the "mist" that is a weakened form of the live virus and you are actually contagious for a few days.

I consider my job put's me at risk since I travel and visit High Schools in two states.

puddle jumper

Captain

We have had two confirmed cases in our area. According to the news we wont see any vaccinations on till November. So i guess no shots for me. But like most of you I probably would not get one unless it became readily available.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Like some others have said, if it is available - and I won't be depriving someone else - I'll probably get it. I never have gotten a flu shot because I've always been healthy and the few time I've had the flu, is.. well just that. I've had the flu!

I've listened to and heard all the Beck's, Surgeon Generals, and others and the one thing that sways me is that if I get it, I could spread it to others. I don't like the thought of me spreading H1N1 to my family and friends.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From Daughter#1, who is a NICU Nurse Practitioner. NICU is Neonatal (newborn) Intensive Care Unit. She has been doing this for 31 years.

"Don't these people who refuse protection from a contageous disease that is DEADLY to at-risk infants realize that they may get a tolerable sniffle and a headache but then pass it on to someone else who will kill one of my babies?"

She is pretty passionate about "her" babies. She deals on a daily basis with young parents who have just lost their child, often to preventable causes.

Her point is that if you can't get it you can't pass it on. If nobody could get it. . . .well, what do you think?

Gregk

Seaman

Never got a flu shot in my life....not starting now.

skargo

Banned

MANY more babies are killed by the regular flu, where is the outcry for that?

I refuse to be cajoles into doing something I don't want to do, nor belive in.

What about drunk drivers killing infants? Everything else?!?!?!

ezbtr

Commander

Based on the choices on the poll I chose just get the flu shot. If there was a choice for none thats the one I would have picked.
I think the H1N1 shot is to new, not enough testing. In 5 years they will tell you reasearch has found that it causes your feet to fall off or something :eek: I personally won't let my kids be guinea pigs
As far as the flu shot is concerned, the only time I get the flu is when I get the shot.
As long as you constantly wash your hands, pay attention to hand to mouth, face actions especially if your always shaking hands with people, you should be fine. I'm O.C.D. so for me it's normal

But thats only my opinion, I could be wrong

was what I heard - I constantly wash hands at work/shipping terms. and bug my son all the time, to do same everywhere we/he can, hell i saw the line at kaiser for normal flu shot and we would have been there for 2 hours at least!

ezbtr

Commander

Based on the choices on the poll I chose just get the flu shot. If there was a choice for none thats the one I would have picked.
I think the H1N1 shot is to new, not enough testing. In 5 years they will tell you reasearch has found that it causes your feet to fall off or something :eek: I personally won't let my kids be guinea pigs
As far as the flu shot is concerned, the only time I get the flu is when I get the shot.
As long as you constantly wash your hands, pay attention to hand to mouth, face actions especially if your always shaking hands with people, you should be fine. I'm O.C.D. so for me it's normal

But thats only my opinion, I could be wrong

We have had two confirmed cases in our area. According to the news we wont see any vaccinations on till November. So i guess no shots for me. But like most of you I probably would not get one unless it became readily available.

We here in N. CA have been told by kaiser, they are out unless you meet certain criteria - still a bit worried bout gettin the H1N1 for son - well and me, cant afford sick time-when son is sick. he stays w/ me, so have to work form home(I know, I DO have a good work option).....

j_martin

Admiral

Banks are broke, NATIONAL CRISIS
Global warming, CRISIS
Car companies failing CRISIS
CRISIS
CRISIS
Swine Flu CRISIS CRISIS

Ya right.

I lived through the original swine flue epidemic, as did almost everyone else that experienced it. If you can remember back that far, more damage was done by the vaccination than the disease.

NO

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me, wife and two kids got the regular flu shot. No plans to get the H1N1 flu shot.

Spent some time this weekend with a nurse, doctor and a nurse who mans the "flu phone bank" for the state. They all said the same thing - no flu shot for them. They were pretty ticked that the media is making such a big deal of H1N1, but paying virtually no attention to the regular flu that takes something like 100x the lives of H1N1.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I keep hand sanitizer in my car and in my briefcase..... when I am working a college fair or career day... it is in my jacket pocket..... it has been proven to be as effective as a good hand washing routine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You should all enjoy the "attendance policy" at my workplace. We are given sick time. I currently have 30 some hours of it. However, we essentially aren't allowed to use it. Each day you call in sick, you receive an "occurrence" for this "offense". After 2 occurrences, you will be formally counseled on your behavior. After 3 occurrences you will be issues a verbal warning. After 5 a written warning. After 7 final warning. After 9 termination. Occurrences come off your record after a year. Have you ever heard of anything so stupid? Oh, it gets worse.....if you come in late or leave early it's only a 1/3rd of an occurrence. So what do you think people do? They come in (on death's door) for 15 minutes and then leave. This will surely do wonders for preventing the spread of the flu. Sadly it's a great place to work other than this ridiculous policy. If I get the flu, you can bet I will come in and make sure to schedule meetings with as much upper management as I can.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey ezmobee just remember to cough into your hand then shake theirs :eek:

Over here a kid in my sons class whole family has the H1N1, worst part about it the kids father is their boyscout leader. So far so good though, no one sick here :)

skargo

Banned

Banks are broke, NATIONAL CRISIS
Global warming, CRISIS
Car companies failing CRISIS
CRISIS
CRISIS
Swine Flu CRISIS CRISIS

Ya right.

I lived through the original swine flue epidemic, as did almost everyone else that experienced it. If you can remember back that far, more damage was done by the vaccination than the disease.

NO

Yep, 1976,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

1976 and I lived through it! Never had anthrax, still have tonsils, had the mumps, and chickenpox and lived through those too. Only have taken antibiotics a few times in 45 years. I remember when butter was bad and margarine was good. How many of those "study finds X is bad for you" news story's have turned out to be rubbish.

Theres no way I'm starting to take this crap now.

nlain

Commander

No flu shots for me, only time I get flu is when I take flu shots. One of my grandkids got the flu, daughter took him to the doc, got meds, doc actually gave meds for both so the other one would not get it, kept him home a few days and all is well, doc told her that the regular old time human flu is actually worse than H1N1.

Status
Not open for further replies.