Problems with working outside?

erikgreen

Captain
Hi again -

I'm wanting to get my boat work done in the next couple of months, so it's ready to go when ice-out happens here in Minnesota. The problem I have is that my new house needs some serious garage work before the 9 foot tall boat will fit inside anywhere. I don't want to delay any more than I have to, since in addition to the interior work (fiberglassing, carpet, wiring) I may need to do some serious drivetrain work, and I won't have time once I hit June or so.

So, here's my question: What sort of problems will I have with fiberglass, adhesives, etc due to temperature/humidity? Assume that the outside temp will be about 50 degrees with snow melting around the place. I expect to be able to keep the interior of the boat somewhat warmer using an electric heater, but equally damp.

I'll be doing some wood/fiberglass work, putting in some carpet, doing electrical work, replacing some headliner, and building in seats.

Erik

flashback

Captain
Re: Problems with working outside?

I would thow a big blue tarp over it and then try to heat it during times of work involving resins, glues, paint etc... good luck

flashback

Captain

Be safe tho, some fumes from solvents and resins are not good to breath in an enclosed area so use a good respirator and be careful of flammable material..

erikgreen

Captain

Right.. I was thinking of using a spark-free, flame-free electric heater and maybe turning it off when lots of fumes are around. Welding respirator for me, or another type with filters for the appropriate gases.

If anyone can recommend a polyester resin or epoxy with non-flammable fumes that are relatively non-toxic that'd be great (I think non-flammable should be doable, but I'm out of luck on non-toxic).

Obviously electrical work's no problem unless I solder.

Any problems with eg. 3M 5200 or carpet adhesive in the cold?

Erik

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just keep it warm under your tarp and carpet adhesive should be just fine, since it is something that you will be doning near the end of your project, why not wait until it warms a little. I mean you can cut it and size it, but wait if you want to install it so you know you will have a great seal.

bitwrench

Recruit

erikgreen said:
Hi again -

I'm wanting to get my boat work done in the next couple of months, so it's ready to go when ice-out happens here in Minnesota. The problem I have is that my new house needs some serious garage work before the 9 foot tall boat will fit inside anywhere. I don't want to delay any more than I have to, since in addition to the interior work (fiberglassing, carpet, wiring) I may need to do some serious drivetrain work, and I won't have time once I hit June or so.

So, here's my question: What sort of problems will I have with fiberglass, adhesives, etc due to temperature/humidity? Assume that the outside temp will be about 50 degrees with snow melting around the place. I expect to be able to keep the interior of the boat somewhat warmer using an electric heater, but equally damp.

I'll be doing some wood/fiberglass work, putting in some carpet, doing electrical work, replacing some headliner, and building in seats.

Erik
Greetings,
If it is cold while you are trying to do fiberglass work, the resin will have a hard time working into the cloth, as well as not adhearing well to the repaired surface. This, even if you buy the 'fast' cure catalysts for working in cooler temps.
If you tent of the work area in an attempt to build your little green house, then the fumes will build up in your work area. You risk both fire, and your health from breathing the trapped fumes. I had to put off work this winter because the fiberglass work I was trying to do, was turning out like crap...chipping while sanding etc etc. Get what you can done, and wait for it to warm up..
Good luck

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Erik, You can work around the cold temps, but the work must be dry. Resin (of all kinds) will not stick to damp surfaces. You need to dry out the work pieces with some kind of heat. I have never found the polyester fumes to be too bad, unless I needed to crawl into an enclosed space and spread resin. Epoxy stinks also, just not as much.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can vent the air in the tent by leaving a small hole in the roof of the tent. Have warm air circulating throughout the "tent" and the fules will find there way out of the enclosed area.