4 Blade vs. 3 Blade

FreeBeeTony

Captain
How does the 4 blade props compare to the 3 blade?

The 16" 4 blade is advertised as replacing the 17" 3 blade. Says holeshot is better etc.....

Anyone have any experience with these 4 blade props?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 4 Blade vs. 3 Blade

"That" part is true....if on an inboard or I/O, you won't be able to gain the top-end back that you lose, but holding ability in rough water may be better.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I'm really not too concerned about top end speed.

I currently cruise around 3200RPM # ~30MPH.
WOT is 4400RPM which is on the low side.

If the 4 blade would give me more boost from idle to the 3200RPM spot I might consider it.

Or is it not worth the extra $$$?

walleyehed

Admiral

I guess that would depend on how much extra boost you need...
Most people that go from 3 to 4 notice the difference very quickly...is it worth it?....I think so...it adds fuel economy in the long-range too.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I would take all the extra boost I could get!!!.......:)

Sounds like this maybe something to consider........I saw one kinda cheap on eBay.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are not hitting the right range at WOT you may be damaging you engine and sacraficing hole shot. It is very important to get your WOT in the right range for best all round performance and engine life. You may want to try a smaller pitch first. also be wary of props on ebay - I bought one that said and looked "like new" but was actually resurfaced and repainted but paper thin. Only lasted 2 runs befor the edges started falling apart.

walleyehed

Admiral

Not "ALL" on ebay are that way...I sell quite a few test-props there and have built a rep for the prop being "better" than described....there's some good ones too...

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I have purchased 2 props on eBay so far without any problems.

FYI.......this is an I/O and the WOT is 4400-4800RPM's.

walleyed.......would you expect my WOT RPM's to increase in going from the 17" 3 blade to a 16" 4 blade? I understand the MPH may be lower at the top but I am not really worried about that.