Failsafe switch

Dadoffive

Seaman
Ok so I've got pretty much everything figured out on my new shifter assem. My one question is where/what do I wire the engine kill switch to, as my old shifter was not equipped with one? The wires are only about 2.5' long so I'm kinda limited to something up on the console, I assume!?!:indecisiveness:

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Failsafe switch

It will go in series with the power to the ignition, Not the Starter, of the engine. Usually a Purple Wire.
The switch will stop the motor from running.
It will still crank, but not start. Keep this in mind for the day you accidentally flip the kill switch.

Dadoffive

Seaman

Is that on the back side of the ignition switch/key lock cyl or to the fuse box? Also, I'm assuming the other wire is just a ground?!?

UncleWillie

Captain

It would be IN SERIES with the wire from the Key to the engine. Not to ground!
Either remove the wire at the key, or Cut it as it passes near the throttle.

The switch is normally Closed, it opens up to kill the ignition power.
If you connect it to ground, you will blow the ignition fuse.

Dadoffive

Seaman

Ok but the second wire from the switch goes to a ground, correct?

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No if I understand it correctly you cut the wire, and put the switch as a connection between the wire you cut.

So when the switch in on the power flows down to the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ok but the second wire from the switch goes to a ground, correct?
Uncle Willie said it correctly. You put it in SERIES with the ignition wire going to the ignition switch. No ground involved here.

Dadoffive

Seaman

Oh so both wires from the switch hook into the same power wire (one at the switch and one a little lower down the wire). Basically acting like a fuse!?!

Dadoffive

Seaman

Ok, now I understand! Sorry about all the less than stellar questions. I promise I'm not mentally challenged. All my knowledge is from automotive and just trying to make sure I don't end up dead in the water with five kids and screaming wife.

UncleWillie

Captain

... just trying to make sure I don't end up dead in the water with five kids and screaming wife.

You may still end up doing that!

To quote myself....
The switch will stop the motor from running.
It will still crank, but not start. Keep this in mind for the day you accidentally flip the kill switch.

Many a boater has called for a Tow only to find that the Lanyard had been pulled accidentally.
Don't be THAT Guy! :D

Last edited:

Dadoffive

Seaman

Yup! I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law! I would just like to do everything possible to limit the chances of a mishap.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Many a boater has called for a Tow only to find that the Lanyard had been pulled accidentally.
Don't be THAT Guy! :D

My 25hp Johnson tiller has the kill switch on the end of the tiller handle. More than once I have accidentally hit the switch going WOT......EVERYTHING to the front of the boat!!