CHRIS CRAFT "Viking" 1982 Cabin Cruiser Restoration (With Pics & Video!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? NEW TITLE "25' Chris Craft CC Partial Restoration"

So I'm Ready to start grinding and cutting on the underside of the swim platform. Most of the old bottom side fiberglass came off easily and I was only left with some rough edges and a little bit of wood.

One of the corners needing the most work.

Must Remove all of this001.jpg

Before the grinding really got started.

BeforeGrinding001.jpg

About Halfway through the grinding I'm thinking?

PartiallyGrounddown001.jpg

Most of the rough edges removed and everything ground down. When I started, there were lots of "Hairy" or "Fuzzy" areas of glass, and I just ground these down until they were looking fairly smooth.

Agettingclose001.jpg

I need someone to chime in and tell me if this is looking like it will accept new glass. I know I still need to thoroughly clean the area with acetone, but what "rough" finish am I looking for to make sure the new glass will adhere properly?

Almost Ready4Glass001.jpg

Thanks...

Also, I made one short video. Nothing great, just some fiberglass removal and cutting. As soon as I get the whole Photobucket / YouTube thing figured out, I'll get the rest up on the thread.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just testing the PhotoBucket thing. Hopefully this works. Is this getting close as far as accepting new glass???

DSC02778.jpg

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just testing the PhotoBucket thing. Hopefully this works. Is this getting close as far as accepting new glass???

View attachment 98441

Nevermind. You still have to click on the link and the picture is too small to see crap. Oh well... Not going to mess with the bucket anymore tonight...

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let's see if the YouTube video works out any better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YTdxyhJM8

Well, it's not up to "Jays Way" video standards yet, but that's pretty easy all in all. The video uploading thing. Not the fiberglass grinding and cutting. That's a nasty messy job. :)

Hopefully my video skills will improve. that one was actually shot with my Sony Cybershot still camera, but I do own a decent little JVC, so maybe we'll have many more video's in the future and less of the little small pictures.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEW TITLE "25' Chris Craft CC Partial Restoration" Now with Video!!!

Hey, I just couldn't give up until I figured out how to post decent sized pictures on here. This will work out nicely. This is what most of the underside of the swim platform looks like now. All the fuzzy and hairy fiberglass is gone, and for the most part it's smooth with just a few small recesses.

DSC02779.jpg

A better shot of the glass preparation... And the bright white spots are where someone apparently tried to fill various holes over the last 30 years.

DSC02778.jpg

AlmostReady4Glass001.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

Agettingclose001.jpg

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alrighty... It looks like my help will be able to make it on Friday, so OUTDRIVE removal is on the Schedule for Friday morning. I've seen some of the threads about removing an outdrive, and how to construct a stand for it. Is there anything else y'all can think of that might help save me some headaches, or injuries? :rolleyes: I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Thanks...

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Let's see if the YouTube video works out any better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0YTdxyhJM8

Well, it's not up to "Jays Way" video standards yet, but that's pretty easy all in all. The video uploading thing. Not the fiberglass grinding and cutting. That's a nasty messy job. :)

Hopefully my video skills will improve. that one was actually shot with my Sony Cybershot still camera, but I do own a decent little JVC, so maybe we'll have many more video's in the future and less of the little small pictures.

two thumbs up for videos :D

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? "25' Chris Craft CC Partial Restoration" Now with Video!!

Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? "25' Chris Craft CC Partial Restoration" Now with Video!!

So, My help is late... Kind of wishing I'd built the outdrive stand last night. Oh well. He should be along shortly, so I've been charging up the camera and reading up on outdrive removal in the book. Seems fairly straightforward. Six nuts, plus the two holding the power trim rams to the outdrive and voila, it should slide right off. :)

If all goes well, look for a video on outdrive removal 101. If it goes poorly, myabe the video can qualify for the "stupid human tricks" portion of the forums...

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? Gelcoat or Paint???

This is one thing I can comment on. Gelcoat does NOT adhere well to epoxy... IF at all. Lot's of debate on the subject. With special prep and special Gelcoat some say it can be done, but ondarrvr and Yacht Doctor I'm pretty sure are gunna say It's not gunna work. Your boat is constructed out of Poly and you should stay with it. That's my opinion anyway.

I know this has nothing to do with Outdrive removal, but I was just killing time til the help arrives...

Hey There Wood, I assume you mean to stay with Polyester resin as opposed to Epoxy, but everything I'm reading says Epoxy is the best for making repairs, and Polyester is best for new glass and build up??? Will I be ok laying in the new POLY and CSM over the old ground down glass and the edges of the grinding where I've just sanded through some of the gelcoat???

Thanks...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You will be fine with using poly.

just sayin ;) .

YD.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks YD...

I got the Outdrive off and am uploading some videos to YouTube at the moment, so if all goes well, I'll embed those in my next post, then I'm getting cleaned up and heading to the mountains on the Harley... Can't boat, gotta ride... :D

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here you go guys... There are four videos showing the outdrive removal process. Fairly straightforward stuff, but daunting if you've never seen it done... Now everyone can see it getting done...

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

I guess that's it for now... I have more questions, as I still want to remove the rest of the outdrive assembly, but I'll save those for a later post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright guys... I managed to get the outdrive off, and even managed to get the exhaust tube out, and the drive Bellows? That was a pain in the you know what. I can see the water tube, and the shift cable, of which the bellows was shot on that as well.

Here's what I've discovered... I've got a lot more work to do. Imagine that. I would like to remove and replace the rest of the outdrive assembly, (I would like everything to be new as far as outdrive, steering and controls when she goes back in the water), but at this point I'm stumped. Do I have to remove the engine to get these parts off? Or can I simply break it loose from the mounts and perhaps just move it forward some to give me room to work. I have no way to get this engine out at the house. (Unless I build a gantry in the driveway... The neighbors would be pissed... LOL...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have no way to get this engine out at the house. (Unless I build a gantry in the driveway... The neighbors would be pissed... LOL...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sure you do! Not sure what the prices are in Atlanta for a service call, but... Call a Wrecker, have your motor stand ready and they can have that motor pulled and placed on your stand in 15 minutes. Measure what your lift height will be so they can be sure they can lift that high and give em a call.

Like YD says Poly is fine. Your Entire Boat, Swim Platform and all,is made from poly.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a thought, except that this boats rails are currently about 8 feet off the ground and it's located on one half of my driveway with its stern about 10 feet away from my garage. I don't think I could get a wrecker in there, nor do I believe that a wrecker could get it's boom up high enough to pull the motor and clear the rails. If you look at the 3rd picture in my first post, you'll kind of see the space constraints I'm working with.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I kinda remembered that, that's why I said to measure.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

As it turns out, I do have an old high school friend that owns a wrecker company. I don't know if he has any boom wreckers in his fleet given this day and age of roll backs, but I'll check in with him on Monday. I suppose if worse comes to worse, I could always put the boat back on the trailer, back it up under the big Oak tree in the front yard, grab some chain and a winch and do it "Redneck Style" I do live in Georgia afterall... What about just trying to move the engine forward in the bay, or does it have to come out???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you doing any Deck Stringer work???

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Negative on the decks and stringers. Structurally this boat is sound. Cosmetics, and the mentioned mechanicals, outdrive, steering, throttle controls. I just want all new mechanicals, as I plan on keeping this boat for a long time. The engine only has 374 hours on it.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys, dilema time... I've found a guy locally, well 60 miles away that will pull the engine, remove and replace the entire transom assembly, steering system, control box and all cables, bellows, etc... and re-install the engine for $900.00

This is with me purchasing all materials and parts. He works at a local marina and moonlights on the side for extra money... The price seems reasonable to me for the amount of work involved. Only problem, and this is a big one, is that I don't get to do the work myself and increase my knowledge base along the way...

What do you guys think???

Status
Not open for further replies.