Restoring my MFG

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, I finally got all my photos together and thought I'd try to put something together, so I could share it all with you.

First, a bit of history.........In the spring of 2007, my wife and I decided to get a small boat for our place on the lake. We had used my canoe and a rowboat for sometime, and I really liked the idea! I was happy my wife was agreeable. No more rowing or paddling for me! ;)
My search started with all the usual sources. Classifieds, local boat yards, Craig's list and eBay. I knew that I wanted... a small boat, maybe a "fixer upper", nothing really expensive. After a month or so, I found one on eBay that was just a few towns over from me.
Here are a few photos from the actual eBay listing. Well needless to say, this boat was just what I was looking for. I slapped down $999.00 for the boat, motor and trailer. I was one happy boater! :D

During the next few weeks I'll post more on this very unique boat...stay tuned! :)

Attachments

• 6cd4_1.jpg
    6cd4_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • 70e0_1.jpg
    70e0_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 749d_1.jpg
    749d_1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 785f_1.jpg
    785f_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Restoring my MFG

Wow Ed ! looks like a great starting place !! --I guess you get what you pay for;):) Of course , under all the snow no-one can tell!
You get a good dumping this week-end?

Attachments

• dashboar.jpg
    dashboar.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0

*EdC*

Peter,
Yep, we're getting way more than I thought I would! That's ok.... The motor I restored is in my basement shop, and my boat is in the boat shop in Lowell MA. We just finished the hull and got a new coat of color matched gel coat on her! Beautiful..........

Ed

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it just me or is that bow eye too high?

attachment.php

pduquette

Ensign

HMMM....Maybe the crank could go up a little....The eye's in the right area for MFG factory install . Ed - that the trailer that came with it , or one you had ? I'll try to post mine for another view but keep in mind the '61 had a different profile:)

Attachments

• 07-30-06_0654.jpg
    07-30-06_0654.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11-17-06_1629.jpg
    11-17-06_1629.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0

*EdC*

Is it just me or is that bow eye too high?

attachment.php

The bow eye is a factory install. I think the photo is a bit misleading. It was taken by the previous owner. I then, took them off the eBay listing for my file.

The trailer is the original "Lady Bee". It has a tilting feature that I like. The PO put a new hand winch and mount on it. It might be a bit low. Still works good though. Here is another picture of it. :)

Picture034-2.jpg

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Ed..Congrats on the new boat! I saw that recently on EBAY as well. I'm in CT. Cant wait to see what you have planned.
Good Luck;)

*EdC*

Pauly... Stay tuned. I just finished a complete restoration of a 1969 Merc 80 for her. I'll post some pics. :D

Ed

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bow eye is a factory install. I think the photo is a bit misleading. It was taken by the previous owner. I then, took them off the eBay listing for my file.

The trailer is the original "Lady Bee". It has a tilting feature that I like. The PO put a new hand winch and mount on it. It might be a bit low. Still works good though. Here is another picture of it. :)

Picture034-2.jpg

I always thought the eye should be under the winch as a "hard stop" safety feature. To keep the boat from lifting. I am sure I could be wrong on this, I have been wrong many times before.

*EdC*

In my my last post, I mentioned that this is a "unique boat". Perhaps some of you "eagle eyes" noticed an outline of the word police in one of the photographs. The seller seemed to be a pretty good guy. So, I asked a lot of questions, and he didn't seem to mind.
Some history...... This boat was originally a patrol boat for a local town here in Massachusetts. It was owned by the town of Wakefield, and operated by it's police department. Wakefield has a good size lake called, Lake Quannapowitt ( I had to look up the spelling ;) )
As the story goes... There was a tragic boating fatality on the lake one day. And in response to it, the town fathers outlawed all power boating on Lake Quannapowitt.
With little use for a patrol boat, the police department tucked it away in a back corner figuring they might need it someday. Well... it sat there for some 15 plus years ! Finally, a police officer bought the boat and moved it to his cottage on Belgrade Lake in Maine. From what the previous owner tells me, They didn't take good care of it. It was used by his kids and was basically a "beater boat". It wasn't long before the motor was shot and it was put up for sale. The previous owner, who also has a cottage on Belgrade lake, purchased it.
He re-fit it with a 50 horse Evinrude (it had a Merc) used it a couple of seasons, and decided to buy a bigger boat.
The rest of the story is coming, In the meantime, here are some pics of her when on the first day I had it... and the first day I had it in the water :D
Picture033.jpg

Picture034-3.jpg

[/IMG]
Picture038.jpg

P8310089.jpg

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Ed..Thats a nice looking boat! Hows she run? Looks like a stable fun ride..Good Luck!

*EdC*

Hi Paul,
One of the main reasons I decided to restore it, was the handling. She turns on a dime. :D There is a lot to be said about the lapstrake design. A real fun runner! The 50 horse Evinrude got me to about 30 mph. I'll be putting on my newly restored 1969 Merc 80 h.p this spring. Should REALLY go like heck then! :eek:

Ed

*EdC*

Well I hope you guys have enjoyed the history of this boat, and how I've come to own her.
Like most of us who own old boats, the decision to fix 'em up... is easy. The tuff part is deciding what to do, and were to start, and of course, how much to spend. :rolleyes:
I really wrestled with these questions. It was sort of a "left brain" "right brain" thing. Better yet, I often thought I had an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other!
After much debate between good and evil, it was decided,.... the hull would get a much needed make over. Being it was the end of the season, I thought it would be a good idea to get the old Evinrude winterized and off to the shed for the cold months ahead.
50hpEvinrude-1.jpg

With the motor safely tucked away, it was time to give the hull a good going over. I was excited about getting her all patched up and painted.
Hey wait a minute........ Whats this goop coming from the motor mount holes? :confused: Ot ohh.. this don't look good.
Standing there, pondering what to do next... My old buddies,... the devil and angel start bickering :mad: Devil says "stick your finger in it" Angel sez... "It's gonna cost you plenty" :eek: Ok Devil you win, I have to find out what's going on here. Bummer........looks like rot. Going to have to investigate how bad it is.
transomrepair3-1-1-1.jpg

Ok Ok angel..... It's time to pack it in for the day. Guess I'll crank up the 'puter and get on i.boats...........

Stay tuned fellas, I get into digging out all that rot!

pduquette

Ensign

Hey ED! I was curious.....I'm running a J50 on my Oxford (15') with a 19p prop. I know by my rpm's being way down I need to get a smaller pitch . So was your setup good (RPM in range at full throttle )? If so what prop /pitch is on your motor? Peter
P.S get the rot out - all that wet wood also adds weight , slowing your boat down !( now the angel and devil can work in harmony):D

*EdC*

Hey ED! I was curious.....I'm running a J50 on my Oxford (15') with a 19p prop. I know by my rpm's being way down I need to get a smaller pitch . So was your setup good (RPM in range at full throttle )? If so what prop /pitch is on your motor? Peter
P.S get the rot out - all that wet wood also adds weight , slowing your boat down :D

Hi Pete
Don't really remember whats on the Evinrude. Give me a few days, and I'll make my way out to the shed and have a look see.
My boat only had an old Airguide speedo. No tach, :( so i have no rpm data to compare it with. Sorry not much help.
Hey, Did Jim C. ever get back to you?

Regards, Ed

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Ed ! thanks for the reply , My boss has been giving me Overnites (un announced) so my schedule + sleep have been messed up..:redface: sorry for the slow responce.
No , I never got a responce from Jim , no message failure either . But I haven't tried again either .
I'm guessing I need a 13p or maybe 11p any info is a help - ( and I 'm aware your boat is longer too:)) thanks Peter

*EdC*

Well it didn't take long to realize that the budget for patching and painting the hull was gone. Looks like a full transom re-do is in order here. :mad: I spent a lot of time researching transom articles. Got a couple of prices from the local boat yards YIKES!!...How much?? TWO GRAND! NOPE! Don't think so. Go away Devil, Angel got this one...
This was gonna be a DIY job. This MFG seemed to be a perfect candidate for a "pourable" transom. So, off I went to get a mini grinder and some steel stock to make the tools I needed..
Here are the tools I used..
1 A mini grinder with a cutting wheel
2 Standard chisel
3 A shop vac
4 A drill with two extensions
5 A 7/8" spade bitt
6 A 1-1/2" wire wheel
transomrepair5-1.jpg

I also bought a piece of 3/8" x 36" steel rod and a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" x 36" flat stock
I welded an old 1" chisel to it. This proved to be most useful. I then bent the flat stock in a vice and ground a flat chisel edge on it. Again, very helpful for getting down deep.
transomrepair8-1.jpg

Off to work I go... I removed the top aluminum cap. Then marked out my cuts , and had at it with the mini grinder.

transomrepair-1.jpg

Once off, I was fairly apparent that I had a good case of mush on my hands. Seacast recommends a chain saw to remove this, but I started out just picking and poking with hammer and chisel. Moving on to the drill and bitt. I vacuumed up the gunk as I went.
After a few hours of this, I quickly realized "this aint gonna be easy" I spent most of the afternoon getting down about half way. Decided to pack it in. I needed to figure out how I was going to get the rest of it.
transomrepair3.jpg

Off to the fourm for more info! Stay tuned :p

pduquette

Ensign

Git 'er done!! Looks like your making good progress ! ---Err but where's the snow in the pictures?:D?? I have been going to brush off my teepee weekly . I am researching / saving for my projects this spring .... spring .... spring ...Awwww Just wake me up when the sun starts to shine:rolleyes:

*EdC*

I left off the previous day getting down about half way. So, there I stood, scratching my head, wondering how I was gonna get the rest out. Remember the Devil and Angel? Well, the fight was on as to weather or not a chain saw should be used! :confused: Aaah... what the heck, give it a try. Devil wins...
I'm not a big fan of using tools for things other than their intended use. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous. Plunge cutting like this can be dangerous. :eek: It did take a lot of material out, but I was not comfortable doing it. After I wacked the drain tube, I said enough! On to plan "B".
I got out the spade bitt and added an extension. Also, I ground the point off it. This way, I wouldn't poke a hole through the bottom. A piece of black tape on the bitt shaft helped me watch the depth.

transomrepair3.jpg

It took longer this way but I had more control. I spent a few hours on it every day after work during the week. The next Saturday all I had left was the upper corners.
From what I've read on various forums, removing these is not always necessary. But, I went ahead and did mine.

transomrepair10.jpg

The corners aren't easy. Maybe that's why some guys leave them in. Patience is a requirement here. Drill out as much as you can. A flapper wheel and wire brush did most of the finish work.

portside-1.jpg

As you can see in the next photo, the weather wasn't going to let me pour the transom.

transomrepair7.jpg

Sometimes you just get lucky.... I did, when a guy I met at the local boat yard, called me. He said, he was going out on his own, and was looking for some work. Hummm.. I thought, maybe I can get this done after all.
We met, worked out some arrangements, and off to the boat shop it went.
Stay tuned!

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

*EdC* - It's looking great! I'll be watching to see how you're going to fill those end caps since I'm going to have to do the same thing. After I pour the seacast I might use epoxy treated lumber cut to the right size and wrapped in fiberglass cloth/epoxy. I'd like to use seacast in these areas too but can't think of a practical way of keeping it in place until it sets.

We've had a few warm days down here recently so I've been digging away at my transom. Is it just me or does it seem the further you get down the transom, the less skin you end up with on your hands? Also, is the flapper wheel the same as a wire wheel?

BOB