CHRIS CRAFT "Viking" 1982 Cabin Cruiser Restoration (With Pics & Video!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repairing Hull Bubbles? NEW TITLE "25' Chris Craft CC Partial Restoration"

Sorry bout that, I resent!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Received tons of good advice and expanded my knowledge base this evening. Thanks Woodonglass.

Just going to keep on going and sanding and removing blisters, then comes some glass and filler work then fairing, then primer and paint. Should be fun...

Although one of my next steps, and very soon will be to remove the Swim Platform, Trim Tabs and the Outdrive so that I can clean up the transom for paint as well. The swim platform brackets are kind of cheap and after viewing Archbuilders Nescher rebuild, I'm thinking of fabricating some nice stainless brackets that will be much more durable... Hmmmm, the possibilities are endless!

look for many posts and pictures to come!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I thought I was going to get a lot more done today, but with work being busy as heck and then having to stop on my way home to diagnose and repair my nephew's over-heating Maxima. (thank God it was just a loose lower radiator hose.) I didn't have time to complete nearly what I wanted.

Here's what I did do:

1. I removed all the old hardware and removed the swim platform... BAD NEWS the Platform is crap!!! :eek: Looks like it was damaged at some point and incorrectly repaired, allowing water intrusion, so it's pretty much rotted and it looks like I will be building a completely new swim platform from scratch. I guess I will get a lot more practice with fiberglass than just repairing some hull blisters... :facepalm:

Boat Stern001.jpgSwimplatmount.jpgSwimplatdmg001.jpgSwimplatOFF.jpgSwimplatROT.jpg

See below for a few questions and more pics of what is quickly becoming more than I had expected. Although I knew this boat wasn't perfect when I bought her. What 29 Year old boat that hasn't been rebuilt by an i-boats member is!!! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How Thick is the Main Deck of the Platform?

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

So now that I've removed the swim platform, here's some views at the other hardware back there and the outdrive:

1. The whole pitted outdrive. Plus the fact that reverse went bye-bye on me last year when I was supposed to be testing my Smart Tabs, means this whole thing is getting replaced with a new SE 106 outdrive.

Outdrive001.jpg

Outdrive002.jpg

Here's a question??? I believe the first picture is of my Speedometer pick-up? and the thing next to it is the transducer for the depth finder? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Speedo&Transducer.jpg

And What's REALLY got me stumped is:

WHAT IS THIS???

WhatisThis.jpg

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

The swim platform looks like it may be 2 pieces of 3/4 or maybe 5/8 ply encased in glass with a glass only lip going all the way around the platform, which also serves as an attachment lip. See the attached pics.

Some damage from below.

Swimplatdmg001.jpg

Some more damage.

Swimplatdmg003.jpg

The lip of the platform (underneath) attached to stern above outdrive area.

Swimplatfasteners.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep on the Speedo and Transducer, I have NO idea what that other thing is. What is the cable on it and where does it go?
Swim platform can be used as the FORM for you new one. You cover it in plastic and then CSM glass over it with a couple of layers and then cut the plywood to fit. Then go back and lay some 1708 and finally CSM and then Gelcoat it. It'll look almost like Factory.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it may be part of the ancient navigation system originally installed on this boat, LORAN??? Maybe... Anyways, there's also a huge whip antenna laid down along one side. I plan on removing all of the crap associated with the current antiquated nav system and replacing with a good combination GPS and depth finder.

The GOOD NEWS... I think I'll play with adding to the current swim platform that I'll be using as my mold, and make the new one a little larger, possibly with a hideaway swim ladder storage area. See, having to completely re-do something isn't always a BAD thing...

Gotta get some sleep and won't be able to do much for a couple of days due to work and previous engagements, but I'll be at it again later in the week...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Looking like great progress.

One question when looking at this photo. The old mounting holes on the left side of the questioned bracket. Are these open through the glass and into the transom wood?Question.jpg

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, not until I removed the bracket that was there and it appeared to have been sealed up. I don't even know what the bracket was for...

I do know that when I mounted the Smart Tabs I drilled several holes in the transom, and all produced fresh dry wood. Hopefully I won't find anymore surprises like the swim platform, but who knows. Regardless I'm going all the way with this boat and plan on keeping her a good long while. Even if I end up with 10 or 12 grand in her, Where else can you find a solid, reliable 25' plus cabin cruiser for that money these days. Anything new and comperable is 100k plus...

Stay Tuned...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Here's a question??? I believe the first picture is of my Speedometer pick-up? and the thing next to it is the transducer for the depth finder? Please correct me if I'm wrong...

View attachment 97859

And What's REALLY got me stumped is:

WHAT IS THIS???

View attachment 97860

It looks like in your first pic with the speedos .. the white fin thingy is a speedo..the one next to it looks like a speedo.. ( both looks like vac tubes going to them .. ) .

Second pics looks like a combo speedo/Transducer on a trailer flip up bracket..

I see the thread is renamed :) .. still consider gelcoat for your topcoating ..

And I never "recommended" Awlgrip..it was one of 4 products that I used in application products in post #24 .. " Rusto..or Awlgrip..or Imron.. its All in the prep and the primers used....

Or Gel .."

Well..5 if you count the Duratec mention ..but that was for primecoat ;) ..

On that swim platform .. erm.. dont use that as a mold..mod it. Extend if you wish..but dont use it as a form..use it as a "plug" ..

Good luck m8 ..

YD.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info... I think my mind's made up on the Rustoleum paint job. The prep will be done right, and I'm hoping it will provide many years of service....

I'm just spitballing here, but I was thinking of cutting away the underside of the swim platform, and removing all of the old plywood. The top surface fiberglass of the platform is in fine shape. If I remove the bottom portion of fiberglass, (basically opening up the sandwich.) Remove all of the old wood, sand/grind out all of the old material and get the glass ready to accept new glass, then put in new, good resined wood and just re-build glass on the bottom, that seems like it would work well. I can still remove the rear portion of the original glass and extend the platform, and it would serve my purposes well. I'll have to debate the wisdom of installing a swim platform locker on there, but that's a ways down the road anyway.

Thoughts???

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thats the normal way to recore platforms/hatches :)

Just make sure you dont rip the outer skin...and when you place your new ply clamp that down along with the platform to a nice flat surface until its dry ( so it doesnt warp it ;) ) .

YD.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advice about the clamping. I'll make a nice flat work table and clamp it to that. I was just going to do it on the garage floor with something under the platform to protect the surface. Thanks again. It'll probably be better on my back if i clamp it to a work table anyways... :)

sprintst

Commander

Me likey. Lots of work but you're got a cool boat to start from. Short term pain and long term gain :)

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so I didn't have a lot of time this evening, and after working out and doing the laundry, I just figured I'd take a stab at removing the old rotten wood from the platform. Man, what a mess!

Well, I didn't even break out the cutters and grinders and sanders. I didn't have to. Starting at what was the old damaged area, I just started working with a prybar and a hammer. Well the results are below. I still have to cut the edges of the bottom glass away and grind/sand everything clean so it'll take new glass, but this should be a breeze. I think I may make the swim platform first, which will give me practice with glass, and finishing the surface before I start on glassing the hull.

Here's the partial fiberglass & Plywood removal:

PartialFiberglassRemoval001.jpg

A shot of the shoddy repair area #1:

PoorRepairJob001.jpg

Apparently they tried to Bondo in a piece of steel and coat it in something fairly weak:

PoorRepairJob003.jpg

Another shot of the crappy repair:

PoorRepiarJob002.jpg

The swim platform mostly clean: :)

MostlyClean001.jpg

See the next post for the debris pile and my helper.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is just a shot of the debris. The plywood was really shot...

Debris001.jpg

My Helper... My 15 year-old son... Normally he just likes to go to summer football workouts and then play videogames for the rest of the day, but he has been getting into working on the boat. In fact he did most of the sanding so far on the gelcoat while I was grinding away blisters. Boats = Quality Father / Son time. :) Can't beat that!

The Helper001.jpg

See y'all with some more done tomorrow hopefully. Oh and I might be able to get the outdrive off this Friday. Fingers crossed that my help shows up...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good Lookin First Mate you got There!!!
Good luck on your Glassin Practice!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

This is just a shot of the debris. The plywood was really shot...

View attachment 98236

My Helper... My 15 year-old son... Normally he just likes to go to summer football workouts and then play videogames for the rest of the day, but he has been getting into working on the boat. In fact he did most of the sanding so far on the gelcoat while I was grinding away blisters. Boats = Quality Father / Son time. :) Can't beat that!

View attachment 98237

See y'all with some more done tomorrow hopefully. Oh and I might be able to get the outdrive off this Friday. Fingers crossed that my help shows up...

That is great quality time for sure. Before you know it he will be off to college.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys... Yeah, No kidding he's growing up fast, he's got his learner's, so he's also my chauffer... He'll be driving on his own in 6 months... It was scary at first, but he's getting better... 15 Years old, 5' 10' and 180 lbs. Going into his sophomore year and he's got a chance at the Varsity... Finger's crossed. they moved him from outside linebacker to D-end, so he's trying to bulk up to take on the starting 260 lbs. tackle that he's got to get around, through or over... It was an interesting spring scrimmage...

Status
Not open for further replies.