CHRIS CRAFT "Viking" 1982 Cabin Cruiser Restoration (With Pics & Video!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Re-Coring a fiberglass swim platform... FIBERGLASS WORK DONE !!!

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the finished platform.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey I liked the gantry and roller system you came up with. your whole project although time consuming looks like fun to me. Look at the beautiful boat your going to have when your done....Nice work

WZ

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the finished platform.

Thanks, the going's been slow as of late, but I try to accomplish something each week.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I liked the gantry and roller system you came up with. your whole project although time consuming looks like fun to me. Look at the beautiful boat your going to have when your done....Nice work

WZ

Thanks WeldZilla... One of the things I've enjoyed most about this project is working through the problems and coming up with creative solutions.

In reference to the beautiful boat, I agree, I love the lines of this boat, and have recently received some new information about "Viking" boats, and their subsequesnt purchase by "Chris Craft". The best I can figure, My 1982 model marks the only year that "Chris Craft" produced this hull under their name. 1981's were "Vikings" and in 1983 "Chris Craft" dropped the cabin cruiser line based on the "Viking" hulls.

I didn't know this when I purchased her, but I thought it was an interesting factoid...

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, another Friday worth of work on the boat, or at least the Swim Platform. I had hoped to get a coat of primer on today, but the grinding, sanding and shaping just took too much of the day. *** On a side note... Ummmm, when working with fiberglass resin, i.e. polyester resin, don't ever thicken it up and use it to fill tiny cracks and such without adding wax. sanding it off is a huge pain, and the extra time spent sanding that off probably kept me from being able to prime today... Oh well, lesson learned... ***

Here are the videos of the day...

That's it, High School game night for us again, The boy's still playing great, so going to watch some football...

See y'all later...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Phil, where are ya buddy? Just checking in on you; Didn't want your thread to drop below page 10 again;) I know you got a lot going on...Hope you get some time on the boat soon...look forward to seeing your progress....

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Phil, where are ya buddy? Just checking in on you; Didn't want your thread to drop below page 10 again;) I know you got a lot going on...Hope you get some time on the boat soon...look forward to seeing your progress....

Thanks for checking in on me...

Woodonglass sent out a search party, i.e. PM'ed me as well...

I have been very busy with life... The boy's football schedule, the step-daughter's cheerleading schedule, both at different schools in different counties, seperated by 60 miles, plus planning the final details for my upcoming Nov. 5th wedding have consumed all of my free time.

Be assured the Chris Craft is still getting some things done on her, but they revolve mainly around sanding and grinding on the hull, which are boring things, so I haven't bothered to post the progress.

I look forward to getting back into the swing of things come middle to late November. I don't know if the weather will permit painting by then, but I have Transom assembly to re-build, and many other winter projects if paint doesn't get done now...

I hope everyone is well, and I'll be back soon.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

And so a Year plus goes by very fast when life runs you down...

I've been pleased to see some of Jay's progress with his new boat on Facebook, but I'm sad to say that my Chris Craft languishes in the driveway, with very little progress...

Time, or lack thereof seems to be the issue. As some of you know, I married my beautiful fiance last year, and with all the kids, (3 teenagers), all active with multiple sports, football, wrestling, softball, cheering and volleyball, I barely have time to sleep.

I'm sad to say that I have come to the decision to pass on the Chris Craft project to someone who has the time, and the will to fix her right, and enjoy her the way she deserves...

I'm not done boating, as the wife has her eyes on a couple of nice ones, I simply don't have time to complete the project.

Maybe when life slows down, I can attempt another project, as I certainly did enjoy all the learning, impromptu engineering, and just time working with my hands...

I hope to follow some of the great projects here, but it looks like "Miss Dimple" will be moving on to another DIY'er...

Thanks,

Phil

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Phil:
I was wondering where you had been... yep, life has a way of getting in the way of our massive project ambitions.

Sounds like you and your newly expanded family are dong well... Glad to hear it.

Take Care,
rpm

Globetrottin1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How much glass & resin???

Re: How much glass & resin???

I'm going to start by re-coring my swim platform & filling the divots in my hull... Was thinking of 10 yards of glass & corresponding amounts of resin & hardener. Plus I need some cabosil and, 1/4 inch chopped strand fibers for peanut butter. What do you think guys?

Hey for all the techies, I'm posting from my new android based smart phone, the ruggedized G'zOne Commando. While sitting on an airplane... LOL...

I've got the same phone. It's a must for life on the water or any other rough/outdoor duty.
I just purchased a CC of my own and I'm really enjoying reading through this thread. Very educational. I'm a year and a half behind, but not skipping ahead to the end as I don't want to spoil the story Ms. Dimple..:rolleyes:

Globetrottin1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Re-Coring a fiberglass swim platform...

Big Day here in the old ATL... My 15 year-old son thinks we are driving to the northside of town to attend the fiance's daughter's cheer leaders root for their Rec league football team, but I've secretly secured tickets to the...

Georgia Bulldogs / Boise State Game at the Georgia Dome!!!

We're huge Georgia fans, and he's gonna poop himself when I peel off the Interstate and reveal the surprise!!!

New Father / Son UGA Bulldogs Polo Shirts ($50.00)
Gas for the Suburban ($100.00)
Dinner at Hooters in Downtown ATL for two ($30.00)
Tickets for a huge College Football Opener ($215.00)
Quality time with your son = ($$$ Priceless $$$)

Awesome. I'm living the same scenario with my son and new bride:) Great ways to stay involved!!

Globetrottin1

Seaman Apprentice

Oh shoot. Not the way I envisioned the story ending, but it sounds like he's got his priorities straight. There's lots of boats out there needing a good owner like him and there will be more when he's ready..
Good luck Phil!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm BACK... We are very close to purchasing a 1999 Chaparral 2330 SS with a 5.7L and Bravo III... I have certainly missed the forums and can't wait to get caught up on everyone's boating adventures!

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Recently purchased the same boat here in KY, there is a lack of info readily available on the web other than your posts. Your photo bucket pics won't open in most cases. Just looking for some good info sources so I can see what I've got and to restore her.

Status
Not open for further replies.