89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Brian

Cadet
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

That is to cool. I have ben thinking of doing the same thing on my little boat i have ben biying up old and broken outboard motors and dissecting them to see how they work. I want to rebuild my big motor on my project this winter and i figure messing with these motors will let me know wat i am up against. Have a nice day Brian.

maxum247

Lieutenant

That is to cool. I have ben thinking of doing the same thing on my little boat i have ben biying up old and broken outboard motors and dissecting them to see how they work. I want to rebuild my big motor on my project this winter and i figure messing with these motors will let me know wat i am up against. Have a nice day Brian.

Brian! I'd suggest a boat in the 14ft or up range, my 12 footer is a little small for the setup that I have.
With me at 225 pounds :redface: in the back of the boat plus the weight of the engine it ain't no speed boat and it is a little noisy!
Need's a bigger rudder by half the size again, does'nt steer real well! :eek:

Other than a few problems, some of which are correctable, it's a fun boat to putt around in on a pretty day! And a good conversation peice.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

There's ice on the water puddles today, nothing really much to show for progress on the boat, more or less getting things in order for the winter months! Buttoned up the gas tank, got the cover on the boat and in order so that when I do get the time or a sunny day to work on the boat it will be easier to remove part of the cover and work on the boat as the window of oportunity is a few hours long each day now, so I have to make my time count when I do get a chance to do some work.

Last edited:

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as the window of oportunity is a few hours long each day now, so I have to make my time count when I do get a chance to do some work.

Your not kidding! On the weekend, I might get four or five hours of work in before I gotta start cleaning up because the sun is going down - along with the temperature. :eek:

This weekend I really felt the cold just drain the energy right out of me.

Gotta keep moving though. . . there is an entire Atlantic Ocean full of fish that need to be caught next year. :D

Regards,

James

maxum247

Lieutenant

The oceans just out of reach for me, it's about an hour ride depending on traffic to get to a launch area.
But I do have a big sound within a mile or two on either side of my house and a launch ramp 10 minutes away. max!

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Thanksgiving, work and Christmas are in line now as the holiday season rolls through so I have about given up work on the boat for now.

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

My little one just advised me that building a fort of sorts is now top priority on my to do list, never mind the boat, etc.

Last edited:

58hydraglide

Seaman

Well last winter it was a 12 foot fiberglass tri hull boat that I put a riding lawn mower engine in and attached an outboard lower unit under the boat with the help of Lone Duck, MikDee and a few others here on the forum.

Maxum,
That is really cool, I like it! what'd ya do thought, buy a goat to mow the grass?? ;) My grandpa bought an 8' "skipjack" from a local highschool shop class back in the 60's and my brother and I had a ball with it when we were teenagers. I had always thought about building a smallish hydro plane type boat and installing a sportster engine in it. probably not the most practical (Just the power to weight ratio alone), but I thought it would be fun. Seeing your pics got the old gears turning again!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Naw! man! I attached the mower deck under my bicycle and used peddle power. :p

At one point quite a few years back I considered installing a motorcycle engine in a boat, one thing led to another, several car and boat projects later I just never got "a round to it"! :D

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Alrighty! I need your help! I currently have a ski locker under my center console, by the time I put in a bench seat 34 or so inches wide it will be hard to use the space.
It's perfect for storing my trolling motor, don't want to loose use of the space but don't see it working with the bench seat mounted solid to the deck.
I thought about making the seat so it would lay back on the floor to gain access to the storage locker but the seat will be used for storage as well.
Any idea's? Thank's max!

Attachments

• Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GO OVRIT

Seaman

Attatching the seat shouldn't be too hard. A stainless piano hinge across the rear and two clamps on the front should hold it. I can't think of the name of the clamps, but they're a "cam" design so that they sinch down when you flip the handle. Hooks or barrel bolts would rattle too much. I can't really tell how far forward the locker access goes, but could you hinge the top of the front wall of the console?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Maybe this will help! max!

Attachments

• Picture 1362.jpg
    Picture 1362.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

GO OVRIT

Seaman

I don't know if you plan on a T-top, but if not you could always hing the console. I've seen aeveral inboard center consoles that use the console as the motor box. The controls and wires all have to go to a front corner.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Some day I hope for a T-top! max!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice work so far. Really great. What is the plan to finish off the hull where the gunnels go?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thank's Brian. I've done this sort of work on and off over the years as a hobby, guess it's in the veins.

I like open deck space! Lookin good here; can't wait to see the finished product.

lgeninchrg

Recruit

How about something similar to these Seat Tracks that way you seats would be adjustable fore and aft.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Nice work so far. Really great. What is the plan to finish off the hull where the gunnels go?

Nothing really fancy, just washboards and a bowcap with anchor storage and the (ribs if you will) that hold the washboards into place doubling as rod holders on each side of the hull. :)

maxum247

Lieutenant

I like open deck space! Lookin good here; can't wait to see the finished product.

Hey Thanks! I'm moving kind of slow but hopefully will get it done in time for summer.
Seems like work and everything else are getting first priority, not to mention I'm feeling a little burnt out on working on the boat right now! I keep fighten it but just can't seem to shake the lazy spell. :(

max!

Status
Not open for further replies.