89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Spent the rest of the afternoon catching up the little odds and ends on the boat that needed to be done.
I sanded the underside edges of the gunwales so if someone were to grab under there to hold on there fingers wouldn't get nicked by the rough edges left from fiberglassing the gunwales.

If it's not raining tommorrow I may cut the door opening in the bulkhead and get that out of the way.

Here's the lastest picture that I have of the way the boat is looking now!

max!

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I haven't done anything more to the boat since I put the first layer of fiberglass on the bowcap a couple of weeks ago.
It's either been raining or I've had to work or I've been busy catching up on the yard work that I had put off this summer. Each day I look at the boat as it sits in the driveway and think maybe today, but the days keep rolling by!

max!

ssmith32256

Seaman Apprentice

Max,

I have read thru your thread and I have to thank you for the inspiration. I have a 68 Glastron cuddy with an I/O. I've been replacing the stringers and the floor and was thinking of converting it to a center console. After reading about your experience I decided to go for it. I do have the first of what I am sure will be many questions. Did you remove the cap in the process of your conversion or just trim it down in place ? I cant tell from the pics and if you mentioned it in your posts I must have missed it.

Thanks,

Steve

maxum247

Lieutenant

Max,

I have read thru your thread and I have to thank you for the inspiration. I have a 68 Glastron cuddy with an I/O. I've been replacing the stringers and the floor and was thinking of converting it to a center console. After reading about your experience I decided to go for it. I do have the first of what I am sure will be many questions. Did you remove the cap in the process of your conversion or just trim it down in place ? I cant tell from the pics and if you mentioned it in your posts I must have missed it.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve! Sorry so long answering your question, been out of town for a week, just got in this afternoon.
I removed the top on my boat because I actually lowered the height of the hull sides and had to split the top and widen it to get it to fit back together properly, but you should be able to trim yours down while still fastened in place, if you can it will save you a lot of work and time.

Wear your respirator and eye protection at all times while working on your boat, keep it safe and fun!

max!

Attachments

• Picture 271.jpg
    Picture 271.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 546.jpg
    Picture 546.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Can anyone recommend an easier way to fair the transition between the fiberglass and gelcoat on the gunwale of my boat before primming and painting? There's a lot of little pitts running the length of each gunwale, if I sand more than I already have I'll be into the fiberglass cloth. I could recoat with resin to fill the pitts but that takes a lot of time hand sanding and probably more than one coat of resin would be required which means more time sanding. :(
In the picture it appears that the gelcoat runs right up to the fiberglass but it doesn't, there's about a half inch of the gelcoat ground back from where the edge of the fiberglass stops so I have room to make the transition with the filler to bare fiberglass.
At this point I've got a bunch of time in sanding the gunwales and I just want to get them finished the easiest and quickest way while fairing them correctly before painting the gunwales.
I'm useing Bondo Polyester resin to do my glass work if that helps.

Thank's!

max

Attachments

• Picture 410.jpg
    Picture 410.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Max do you have a compressor ( I cant remember ) :D. The easiest way to do it if you do have one would be to spray a high build epoxy primer on it ( much easier to sand than resin ) it will fill the holes no problem and once you have it where you want it spray a coat of primer sealer and start painting :D.

Rick

maxum247

Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply airmedic! No compressor, all manual labor here.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

More hand sanding the gunwales to be done tommorrow.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Going to check out the local stores for primer to use on the gunwales tommorrow and see what they have.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Spent some time this afternoon sanding the gunwales on the boat and found a place in the starboard gunwale 2"X4" that has a hump in it that is too high to fair without cutting through the fiberglass so I'm planning to add a couple of layers of fiberglass matt to the underside of the gunwale then grind the outside down and patch.
Next I will put a second layer of fiberglass cloth on the bowcap and the glass work will be done.
I'll prime the gunwales then paint them light gray unless I can get the paint I have tinted lighter.
Then I will add a cooler with a cushion as a seat and finish up a few odds and ends with the wiring then reinstall the rubrail.
I may add a few things to the boat as time goes if I see that it is necessary or will benifit the strength of the hull.

max!

Last edited:

maxum247

Lieutenant

89 Maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console.

Attachments

• 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 712.JPG
    712.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 468.jpg
    468.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status