'61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

Ok, you guys, good votes. Anyone else? I want more votes for one of those two.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I'm done with the controls except for clear coat. I usually let the paint cure for about two days before I clear it. What do you think?Controls finished post.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

attachment.php

Freaking AWESOME is what I think...

Just so I'll know what it is: What's your home address?

If a medium sized flat box shows up w/ a return label in WV I don't know anything about it? :rolleyes:

If said suspicious box contains vintage Johnson controls, and you feel like it, I'd certainly would appreciate a rehab w/ similar results ^^^ :D

Said box might also contain a pre-paid shipping label, once done, it'd be aces if you'd wrap it up real well & drop it off to be shipped back to WV.:watermelon:

But again, I wouldn't really know anything about that :facepalm:

Nice work!

kfa4303

Banned

those are some sweet ***** lookin' controls!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I spent a total of around 30 hours over 4 weeks. And now I have something worth about 100 dollars. Well worth the effort. The payoff is my hobby did not cost me too much, and it makes me extremely happy.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

attachment.php

Freaking AWESOME is what I think...

Just so I'll know what it is: What's your home address?

If a medium sized flat box shows up w/ a return label in WV I don't know anything about it? :rolleyes:

If said suspicious box contains vintage Johnson controls, and you feel like it, I'd certainly would appreciate a rehab w/ similar results ^^^ :D

Said box might also contain a pre-paid shipping label, once done, it'd be aces if you'd wrap it up real well & drop it off to be shipped back to WV.:watermelon:

But again, I wouldn't really know anything about that :facepalm:

Nice work!

Thanks bud, but I can't be hired for those rates. :-(

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Can you Spell "F-A-C-T-O-R-Y" I can, and that's what that Control box looks like. Well, I take that back, It looks BETTER than factory!!!

You get one of these...
goodenuf.jpg

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you Spell "F-A-C-T-O-R-Y" I can, and that's what that Control box looks like. Well, I take that back, It looks BETTER than factory!!!

You get one of these...
goodenuf.jpg

I'd like to thank all the people who made this award possible. This is my first national award, and I hope to have many more in the future. A special thank you goes out to my dad, R.I.P. pop. Stay tuned.................

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are the best primer/painting products to use on this old girl? I was thinking a roll and tip application, but I need to understand the preping process and the various steps involved. Can anyone direct me? Also, I was thinking about the interior serface. I want to coat that with some sort of rubberized roll on tuff cote. Any suggestions there? I wouls even consider carpet of some sort, but not sure on that. I am doing the seat bases first to see how I like whatever I end up using, and to perfect technique before I move on to the hull and cap. 9-8-13 033.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

White and or off white gel-coat would be really clean looking and wont hold moisture. I'm seeing some guys just roll it on for interior floor finishes, That's what I plan to do on my Lone Star restore. Carpet wont be going back in my boat unless it's the snap in type. Really the only place I want carpet is below my feet when driving the boat.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

White and or off white gel-coat would be really clean looking and wont hold moisture. I'm seeing some guys just roll it on for interior floor finishes, That's what I plan to do on my Lone Star restore. Carpet wont be going back in my boat unless it's the snap in type. Really the only place I want carpet is below my feet when driving the boat.

Yes I agree, the carpet will not be permanent, and only in a few spots. I'm leaning towards paint instead of gel, is that ok to put over the existing gel coat finish?

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I use starboard encapsulated in fiberglass for support instead of wood for the seat bases on my boat?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Morning 59,
I have been following along your restoration and I gotta jump in and tell you what a nice and professional looking job you have done on the steering wheel and the control...they look great!
As to your question about starboard...nothing sticks to it...it is one of those plastic products that need to be fastened with hardware...
plus it is really expensive compared to plywood...
A piece of plywood, properly sealed up with resin and cloth will last a very long time...just make sure that any hardware you put into it is sealed with a good grade marine sealant, like 3M 5200/4200...
Your questions about primer/paint have one very important step that will make almost anything you decide to apply, successful...
Prep, Prep, Prep...the more of it and the better you do it, the better your results will be...
As far as materials to use, that depends on how deep your pockets are and what kind of facilities you have at your disposal...
Almost any good quality paint, from something as inexpensive as Rustoluem to the super high end stuff, can be used on your boat and look great...
Woodonglass has a link in his signature that shows how to paint your boat on a budget...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...lly-started-w-pics-384982-10.html#post3302799
Keep up the great work...:D

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Morning 59,
I have been following along your restoration and I gotta jump in and tell you what a nice and professional looking job you have done on the steering wheel and the control...they look great!
As to your question about starboard...nothing sticks to it...it is one of those plastic products that need to be fastened with hardware...
plus it is really expensive compared to plywood...
A piece of plywood, properly sealed up with resin and cloth will last a very long time...just make sure that any hardware you put into it is sealed with a good grade marine sealant, like 3M 5200/4200...
Your questions about primer/paint have one very important step that will make almost anything you decide to apply, successful...
Prep, Prep, Prep...the more of it and the better you do it, the better your results will be...
As far as materials to use, that depends on how deep your pockets are and what kind of facilities you have at your disposal...
Almost any good quality paint, from something as inexpensive as Rustoluem to the super high end stuff, can be used on your boat and look great...
Woodonglass has a link in his signature that shows how to paint your boat on a budget...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...lly-started-w-pics-384982-10.html#post3302799
Keep up the great work...:D

Thanks for the compliments! My "facility" is an old wooden building near the back of our property. I have no sprayer, so I thought roll and tip method would be best. I am on an extremely low budget for this project. Basically the admiral says fly under the radar. Anyway it's about the enjoyment not the profit. As for the encapsulate pieces, I'll use marine plywood bedded in 5200. Thanks for the advice on the paint, I think I'll use Majic.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of maintenance does paint need. Just wash it? If I gel coat it will need waxing intermittantly, but what about paint? Just wash it? Wax????
I see that I should open up the floor first and see what the stringers and other balsa wood looks like under there. Do you think that is necessary? The transom is solid as a rock (on top). I have used the motor to try and bend the transom wood, but could not. It sounds good with the phenolic hammer as well. I don't want to finish the whole outside and THEN find out I need to go into the floor and dig out bad wood and do a lot of glass work in there. Woodonglass's boat is the color I want to paint mine!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I use kiln dried maple instead of plywood for encapsulation in the seat bases and other areas? I have a lot of it available for free.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I wouldn't use it anywhere it could easily come into contact w/ more then just a little water & possibly remain wet/damp for extended periods.

Dash, accent panels, yeah maybe if you like Maple hardwood (in my experience it doesn't stain well).

Seat bases against the deck, I wouldn't.

A seat base could be made out of 1/2" thick ply pretty much as tall as you want, and depending on design, possibly 3/8". I don't think I'd use solid dimensional lumber that thin, even if 'only' 3.5" tall, on a boat, as a base in contact w/ the deck, or carpet on the deck.

What is going on the deck?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Get inside and drill core samples down low on the transom. If they are light colored and dry then the transom is good to go. You can use the solid wood if it's properly encased in resin and glass and maintained properly it'll last a long time. Not my first choice but if it's free and you want to use it, I'd do it. Just make sure your glassin is bubble and wrinkle free and any screw holes etc are all filled with resin.
Gelcoat is more durable but harder to apply IMHO. You can get it in the same color as my boat. Paint not as durable but easier for the DIY'er to work with. Again that's my opinion. Others may differ. I agree with you you should NOT do any cosmetics until you are 100% sure of the structural integrity of the boat.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't use it anywhere it could easily come into contact w/ more then just a little water & possibly remain wet/damp for extended periods.

Dash, accent panels, yeah maybe if you like Maple hardwood (in my experience it doesn't stain well).

Seat bases against the deck, I wouldn't.

A seat base could be made out of 1/2" thick ply pretty much as tall as you want, and depending on design, possibly 3/8". I don't think I'd use solid dimensional lumber that thin, even if 'only' 3.5" tall, on a boat, as a base in contact w/ the deck, or carpet on the deck.

What is going on the deck?

I work at a cabinet shop that uses maple all the time for the doors and drawer fronts including the face frame of the cabinet. So they throw away more than I could ever use. I understand about dimensional strength though. The reason I keep going back to this point, is that the seat base is a fiberglass "shell" with a piece of wood inside of it, and it was partially glassed in. Then the seat base bolts that go through the wood pieces screw into some kind of nut under the floor. The wood piece in the seat base will come in contact with water quite often I suspect, and that is the reason the ones that were in there were rotten. So you see that the floor is fiberglss and the seat base is fiberglss with gelcoat facing down. This picture is of the seat base upside down. You are looking at the bottom. That is why I was wondering if there is a better material to use instead of wood since the bolt hole penetrates the piece that is glassed inside.9-8-13 033.jpg