'61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: '61 Crestliner Arabian Deluxe resto

I think it turned out great:
attachment.php

But also think it'd look even better w/ the oval & compass point in black & red @the lettering....

Nice work on the prime & white, looks great...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, get a fine point brush from Michaels and a 1/2 Pint of Rustoleum oil paint and paint those letters. It's not that hard to do and it'll make it POP!!!! I'd clear coat it afterwards.

Rembrandt-Kolinsky-Red-Sable-One-Stroke-Liner.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 59. Paint looks great! There are lots of places to get f-glass supplies, especially down in S.FL. Check a company called US composites and/or Raka for large orders, but if you just need a small amount, you can go to West Marine as well. I'm sure there are lots of other local shops in your neck of the woods too.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I have been to West Marine for a bunch of stuff. But I always leave there thinking, "I know I can get a better deal on this stuff if I just look". Which is true 99% of the time. Just FYI, I went to craigslist a few minutes ago and someone is selling leftover glass cloth of different kinds. I'm going to look on my way home from work, 'cuz they said in the ad take it all for $20 bucks. Also, by the way the 59 or Fatty handle refers to my motor, not me. You can call me Fatty, and it will never hurt my feelings.
LOL, Dave:pound:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, get a fine point brush from Michaels and a 1/2 Pint of Rustoleum oil paint and paint those letters. It's not that hard to do and it'll make it POP!!!! I'd clear coat it afterwards.

Rembrandt-Kolinsky-Red-Sable-One-Stroke-Liner.jpg

Yeah, I knew that would be the consensus. I'll get a little brush and paint. I am going to need one of those magnifiers that attaches to my head!

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, West Marine are extortionists. Good ol' c-list ;) I figured there would be lots of leftover supplies down there. You're in the skiff capitol of the world afterall. Lot of little, and not so little, boat companies down there which use composite materials almost exclusively to build their super-light, super-strong, super-expensive flats skiffs. I'd love to go to their factory and watch the do a vacuum, resin-infused build it's pretty amazing and you barely leave a drop of resin on the shop floor. Here's a vid of it in action. Almost makes using f-glass look easy....almost.

2 minute Boat Build - YouTube

jbcurt00

Staff member

Glass supplier info headed your way via PM

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, West Marine are extortionists. Good ol' c-list ;) I figured there would be lots of leftover supplies down there. You're in the skiff capitol of the world afterall. Lot of little, and not so little, boat companies down there which use composite materials almost exclusively to build their super-light, super-strong, super-expensive flats skiffs. I'd love to go to their factory and watch the do a vacuum, resin-infused build it's pretty amazing and you barely leave a drop of resin on the shop floor. Here's a vid of it in action. Almost makes using f-glass look easy....almost.

2 minute Boat Build - YouTube

Wow, that vaccuum technique is awesome!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

20130926_081901.jpg20130926_081913.jpg20130926_081837.jpg
Got the handles done. You still think I should go for the red and blue handle tops?

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I'll get the red and blue tonight. I will post the painted handles tomorrow before 8am. I guess I'll need black too, huh jb? LOL!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Actually, if you go dark navy on the handle, use it for the compas point & script. That would look good. Maybe even if you use a typical control handle blue it might look good too.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really liked the black oval and compass rose, with all of the letters in red. Do you think that is too many colors? Since the original is all red, I'm hesitant on that part. But the red and blue handles will be like the sample photo in my flickr stream.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Not too many colors.... at least IMHO :watermelon:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I was outranked on the three colors by the 1st mate. Oval blue, rose blue, letters red. I got a dark navy blue so it should look good. What is IMHO?

jbcurt00

Staff member

In
My
Humble
Opinion

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to know, thanks. Well I totally messed up the white paint on the throttle. During the second coat of white, paint was not stirred up enough and came through the sprayer in a thick stream. The shifter is ok. Is there some way of fiberglassing in these back corners of the boat instead of the aluminum corners? Or maybe just sealing up the exposed plywood transom. It seems like a bad idea to leave them the way they are. 9-8-13 046.jpg20130911_194511.jpg20130911_194936.jpg20130911_194951.jpg Since these pix were taken, I removed the white caulking from the starboard side where the coner piece was missing. The transom is solid as a rock. I have used a phenolic hammer and there was no flex at all during tank test going in and out of gear. Plus I gave a good amount of pulling having it locked in the raised position, still no flexing.

Last edited:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did more on the controls. What do you think? Which paint scheme should I go with?9-28-13 Throttle 002.jpg9-28-13 Throttle test color A.jpg9-28-13 Throttle test color B.jpg9-28-13 Throttle test color C.jpg9-28-13 Throttle test color D.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the blue will match the blue handle's color:
attachment.php

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nah, This one's the best...Hands Down!!!

attachment.php