1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallerus

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

Slowbreak, don't talk too much smack. Up untill the year 2000 volvo engines were black. It does however, look like the long block or at least the head has been changed.. There is also some interesting wire work that has been done. I now have good enough idea of what we are dealing with to make some suggestions. Before you take it to the dealer or a mechanic let me get to work and go over the manuals there, specifically the wiring diagrams. I will post more later.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Slowbreak, don't talk too much smack. Up untill the year 2000 volvo engines were black.

Not exactly, Volvo used a very dark gray, but it wasn't black.

wallerus

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, the plot thickens. You have what I call a Mer-Penta. Someone has removed the Volvo engine and installed a Merc with points ignition. The 3.0GS-MWTR for 1999 had electronic ignition. Someone has hacked the wiring harness to make the points run which is fairly simple. The previous owner used it only for getting back and forth. Means probably never ran at wot or even cruise rpm. Ran for maybe 10-15 min at idle or just above. Some how ruined the old block and told the shop to go cheap and get it running to get back and forth. They threw a used engine in it and let it go.

Can it be repaired, yes. Will it be cheap to do it right, probably not. The long block itself can be used but, to avoid future problems I recommend going back to the original Volvo ignition system and repair or replace the harness. I did not get a look at your alternator so I can't say if it is correct. Both volvo and Merc used Mando's that year so it may be ok. Your engine should have a mechanical fuel pump.

wallerus

Seaman Apprentice

Precision Marine in Mesa. 480-986-0969 is a certified Volvo dealer. They should be able to help you, or at least send you to someone that can.

Don S

Those engines and points type distributors worked for many years without problems, no reason to go back to the EST, especially if you don't have it.
Since coil, condenser and other ignition parts have been replaced with no change in the problem, something you might try before taking it back to the dealer, is to disconnect the gray wire (Tachometer) from the coil. It should be hooked to the - terminal of the coil. Then take it for a run and see if the engine continues to run. Note, the tachometer will not be working during the test run.
It's very possible the tach is getting hot and breaking down and shorting to ground. This will cause loss of spark.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Just a quick FYI to stay topical. Dropped the boat off for what I think is the 11th time since late-Feb (this my second shop of the season), not all for the problem discussed here, but most of them. I think this is trip is #6 for the stutter and stall.

It's been a slog.

Had a trailer wheel fly off last month. Just got off the freeway doing 60. Good thing I was in a parking lot doing 5 or I could have made the news. (And yes, gentlemen, I grease the hub frequently.) I started the season with the glove box deciding to unseat itself. The compartment just fell down. How often does that happen?

It's comical. Almost. At the pub, I take a lot of hits, greetings usually start with hey, how's your boat, followed by some wise crack about bridges and swamp land, or hey buy my boat . . . it doesn't run either, but at least I can tell you why.

It'll probably be at least a week before I get any news about what the current fix attempt is for this elusive sputter-die trouble. He said he's going to put it on the lake again (third time) for first-hand effect.

The fail sequence has changed since he last had it on the water. The original fail sequence started at about 45 minutes (could almost time a clock by it it was so predictable) at about ever shortening 20 second intervals, miss . . . miss miss . . . miss miss miss . . . miss miss miss miss miss, stall. I got 90 minutes lake time last time, 4000 rpm falling to 2000 rpm like right now. So what he's been trying this summer has had some influence, at least on how it fails.

I passed off all your suggestions, plus some others I rooted out from other sites (plugged tank vent, failing alternator, fuel line too close to the block vaporizing the gas, yada yada). He may have already been through these. I don't know.

But I'll bet that tach cable suggestion comes as a surprise! :eek:

I gave him the addr to this thread. I don't know if he'll sign on. I expect by now that he's likely taking the failure to diagnose and fix this personally and may just insist upon muscling through this on a solo.

But soon as I have news, I'll be back.

Thanks for all the attention.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Wow what a thread... The was a v6 now a inline 4... I am subscribing to this sucka just to see how it ends up.. Sometimes I am great full I am poor enough to know how to fix my own stuff..

Shame someone didn't paint that head before the install..Shabby.. Hope ya got a good deal on this tub.. Those flames on the side musta sold ya huh?

slowbreak101

Cadet

Those flames on the side musta sold ya huh?

Yessssirree Bob. I figured Kentucky go-fasters, but for the water :rolleyes:

Not the best motif that guy cldv chosen, huh? it's a 4 cyl no-go for Pete's sake. The irony is too rich.

Don S

Just a thought, is there a tag rivited to the back of the block just above the starter? If there is, what are the numbers on it.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Just a thought, is there a tag rivited to the back of the block. If there is, what are the numbers on it.

Don--

I don't have the boat, it's in the shop, so I can't check.

I don't want to be a shop pest and ask him to look just a day after drop off, so how about I make a note of this one, and see where we are in a week. (It's December, it's cold [AZ cold :p] where am I going with this boat? you know. No hurry.)

But, any spot I couldn't see on that engine I fingered, and I didn't see or feel anything except for that transom shield tag.

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could it be the ingnition switch? I had a similar problem in my Tiara with twin Merc 350s HEI distrubters. After a while the motor would break up then quit. Then it had nothing replaced the switch and its been fine ever scince. After testing every thing else electrical.. Just a thought

slowbreak101

Cadet

Could it be the ingnition switch?

Thx for chiming in. I'm pretty sure, call it 98% sure just to pick a number, that the ignition switch has been checked if not replaced. I can't find all my work orders. The four recent ones I've found don't mention it.

But I think it was checking the ignition switch was how he found out that my dead man switch was getting iffy, which in fact did die 6 weeks ago in the driveway on a lake-day muff-check.

That was a lake day I didn't even make it to the driveway curb :(

Owning this boat has been NO FUN, and apropos of nothing important, I got this thing in 2004. I shldv bought the 1995 whatever it was I was looking at instead of this 99. I figured buying newer was wiser. Hah!

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They say the two happiest day in a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Break Out Another Thousand A boat ie a hole in the water you throw money into that never fills up :)

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

People who love their boat don't care.:). I sold my little boat and thought "yay there it goes"... Maybe a month later when spring hit I was whining wanting another... Nothing feels as good as that day you buy one.. It's wonderful.. Now if you have had nothing but trouble and don't know how to repair your rig.. That would be rough and make you hate it.. I hope ya get it running and have a spring and summer of fun with it.(remember take it out often). There is not much better than a great day of boating

slowbreak101

Cadet

They say . . .

Yea JJ, I know, anyone who owns a boat knows the boater cliches too well first hand.

And sadly, too many who don't own a boat know the boater cliches just as well.

I've had that first day/ last day shoved up my . . . [oops, I'm in public, almost forgot] . . . into my ear so many times in the past 6 years (well, counting the first boat 9 years) I should use the numbers to pick lottery tickets instead of birthdays, anniversaries, and divorces. Like when I was skydiving, how many times I heard the perfectly good airplane joke.

I'm 0 for 2 on boats, both Volvos. Coincidence maybe the engine, but 9 years of holes in the water!?

I'm sour on Volvo. I don't know where it gets its (good) reputation.

Or do we need to separate engine as in combustion from engine and fuel system, and engine and ignition system? Who's responsible for the supply chain when these things are pieced together as a boat? I don't know.

But it's that old cliche. You don't buy a boat, you buy an engine. So I don't blame SeaSwirl. It's a Volvo boat. And I'm 0 for 2 on (Volvo) boats.

Last shop I had before this one (he closed in March, the economy got him, good guy, was the service mgr at the previous shop I went to before he went independent) said to me, you know, some people just shouldn't own a boat.

I'm about April 15th away from agreeing.

Still it'll be a sad day because I'll never (try to) own another boat and I know that.

That's why I want to get this one running. Just one f*cking season.

Don S

I'm 0 for 2 on boats, both Volvos. Coincidence maybe the engine, but 9 years of holes in the water!?

I'm sour on Volvo. I don't know where it gets its (good) reputation.

Or do we need to separate engine as in combustion from engine and fuel system, and engine and ignition system? Who's responsible for the supply chain when these things are pieced together as a boat? I don't know.

But it's that old cliche. You don't buy a boat, you buy an engine. So I don't blame SeaSwirl. It's a Volvo boat. And I'm 0 for 2 on (Volvo) boats.

You keep blaming this on Volvo, and Volvo isn't your problem. It's the previous owner or whoever put the OLD (pre 90's) engine in it with the points ignition, and hacked the wiring, an who knows what else is wrong.
The problem is YOU, and who you pick as your mechanic. A real MARINE mechanic would have identified the problem and fixed it.
You seem to want to blame Volvo, so go for it, cause you sure don't have a clue as to the real reason for your problems. About the only thing you seem to be capable of is blaming the wrong people/company, and using a bunch of words that make you sound like a writer, not a boat owner.

You really don't need a boat.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I have to agree with Don on allot of things hear especially your lack of education on your own rig and your willingness to throw $ away. You seem to be and educated individual from you writting ability but as said above you just can't blame a certain manufacturer for your bad luck and inability to evauluate something you buy for recreation. So take the advise given buy the service manuals for this rig and read them cover to cover numerous times if need be and help yourself understand what your rig needs to run right. I f you refuse to do that and or are unable to do so try asking for certifications from the mechanics you chose along with some refferences of people they have done work for so you can help yourself get on the water without making yourself look foolish here if you don't believe that read back through this whole post and take a novice stand point and you will see. Good luck!!!! Don't mean to be down on you but you need it...........

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Slow break Talk to your Mech. See if he will disconect all of the wire harness for the motor, every thing dont leave one wire from the harness. Jump the coil from the battery with a switch so you can power the coil on and off, than put a remote starter button on the starter(he should have one) and test run the boat. Im thinking you might have a short in the harness. I know its a little crazy sounding but if there is a short or a bad ground this will find it. A friend of mine had a outboard the did the same and there was a push pin for sewing in his harness. (he put it there) They replaced his harness And the problem was fixed.. (he was hoping to get a new motor.. didnt work ..And your right Volvo suck thats why no one works on them. Mercury rules!!!!

Don S

..And your right Volvo suck thats why no one works on them. Mercury rules!!!!

That has to be one of the most ridiculous remarks I have ever read. The 3.0L engine used by Volvo is the same thing that Volvo uses. The problem is that some idiot hacked in a Mercruiser engine with an old points system that Volvo never even used, and something is hooked up wrong.
Just another example of newbies coming in and making off the wall comments they can't back up with facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.