Starter bolt threads gone!!!

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now we have a new problem. Boat runs great but can't start it.
The place where the starter bolt threads in to on the block broke.
I will get a picture soon. The part that is molded into the block busted on the side where you can see the threads of the bolt.
How in the world can I fix this problem? It will thread in just until it almost gets tight then slips. I think I have a guy that can weld cast iron, I guess that is my only choice. Any suggestions?

By the way it's a 1999 Mercruiser 5.0 V-8. Serial number 0L084499

degsey

Recruit
Re: Starter bolt threads gone!!!

your threads are stripped so u need to drill and tap for alittle larger bolt or maybe try a helly coil

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No the are worse than stripped. The side of the housing broke off....

f_inscreenname

Commander

Looks like you are buying a bellhousing and doing a crap load of work.
Sorry.:(

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible to run a longer starter bolt and get up into the threaded part more?

If not you may have to resort to having to have it repaired by welding. (if that is possible) I have welded cast before and had mixed results. If I were to try a repair like this I would remove the engine to allow me to tip it so the welding that needed to be done was horizontal and not vertical.

HTH's

DougV>

a70eliminator

Captain

My starter was actually missing the bottom bolt for who knows how long, found it when I replaced the starter for high torque one.
Maybe you could just use the one good bolt, and get a small vise grip or c-clamp on the other attachment point, aside from a engine R&R it's all I can think to tell ya.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need a new block, not a bellhousing. The starter bolts are threaded into the block.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah its in the block. I wish it was the bell housing.
I got about 3/8" of meat left I am gonna try and tap it all the way through and put a longer bolt in there. But I think the piece that broke out will still need to be welded for support.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Be careful if you intend to drill holes deeper, these holes bottom out near the water jacket (at least one of them does). Don't ask me how I know.

DougV>

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had the same problem on a crane with a 4.3L gm engine it would be possible to weld it but it would be tough to do in the boat due to the fact that cast must be preheated then welded the cooled off slowly to prevent cracking

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fixxed a broken thermoking engine block 10 years ago with jb weld and it's still going. Clean it real good with xylene or lacquor thinner to get all oil off of it. put in a helicoil then jbweld the rest. once it cures you can run a tap in and clean out the threads.
Jeff

MikDee

Banned

IMO, Clean it all out good as mentioned with laquer thinner, inside, & out, then get, or make, a longer matching stud, then coat the threads inside the block, and the stud very liberally with Devcon, or JB Weld, or maybe even Marine 5200, then screw the stud into the block, and fill in any open area with the rest of the epoxy filler, and let it dry for the recommended time. Then you will have a stud fastened well into the block, protruding, to put a nut, & washer on, to help the other bolt hold the starter secure.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

This is a boat, unless you have twin engines, you CANNOT WALK HOME.

Forget the stud suggestions unless you have enough room to drop the starter OFF of a stud.

Either replace the block as Don stated or have a very competent welder with prior experience welding cast iron make the repair to the block. Preparation prior to welding, the right rod, heat and annealing is required for a guaranteed repair.

Remember where you are going to be operating this boat, do you really want to be somewhere with a failing starter?

Do it right the first time.

mbehlok

Cadet

I had a very similar issue on my 3.0l Merc. My brother basically made a small bracket that bolted to the starter with the bolt coming down from the block area, then the bracket bent at a 90 degree angle straight up. We ended up using the original bolt on one end and then welded the bracket to the block on the other end. If the starter needed to be replaced, we could simply grind the weld, then unbolt that bracket, move to the new starter and then re-weld it..

I will try to post some pics tomorrow just to show how we did it, works great so far...

Probably not the best way to fix it, but sure saved me from having to replace the whole block and its strong enough to hold me standing on it..

Mark

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some JB weld I guess it couldn't hurt to try that.
What is a helicoil?
I have had some JB weld do some crazy things so it might just work.
I would definetely like to see the bracket you are talking about if you can find a picture. I was trying to think something up like that too. Anything besides replacing the block would be great if it works.

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well still no luck.
I tapped it all the way through and got the bolt to bolt up tight to the block. Then I packed some JB weld into the spot that was broke out. It turned over good and sounded good for a couple times. Then when I hooked the muffs to it the grinding sound came back. So I put a washer between the block and starter and tried it. Again it turned over a couple times good, then grinded again. I am running out of options. I am gonna try a helicoil and see what that does. Otherwise I am screwed. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am contemplating making a reef out of it. I need to find a good welder around here that can try and weld it for me.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I had the same problem in an old pick up truck. The torque of the starter is just too great if one of the two bolts is not 100%. Having said that... I was able to "fix it" by installing the bracket on the end of the starter. This was apparently an option for some Chevy starters. It is simply an angle bracket that connects the back (or front - depending upon how you look at it) of the starter to the side of the engine block. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about and post it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

For those having trouble with the link above, here is a picure:
00354353gm.jpg

And the gm part# 00354353

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got it fixed. We grinded off the corner of the block, took a 1" piece of square stock drilled and tapped it, then weleded it with nickel. Its as good as new, if not better. Once we painted it you can't even tell that there was ever a problem.