1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowbreak101

Cadet
This seems to be a VERY COMMON and PERSISTENT and virtually IRRESOLVABLE problem with this product.

The engine starts like a NASA launch and runs well at idle or WOT for about 45 minutes, then begins, what I'll call, tapping/ missing/ sputtering/ spitting at about 20 second intervals that slowly increase over maybe 5 minutes until forward progress is just one long, continuous, jerking heave, the engine then completely fails, and won't restart.

If the boat sits for about an hour before the engine will finally turn over, but the sputter routine begins after just a couple minutes, until it again stalls, and again won't restart.

My local (Volvo certified, 20+ years experience) mechanic is humbled and flummoxed. I've returned it to his shop 6 times in 9 weeks. He's had it on the water 3 times himself to experience the problem first hand. He's replaced, greased, dried, reconfigured, tightened, loosened, abracadabra-d, exorcised, and prayed over all of the obvious first-to-fail systems, pieces, and parts (coil, condenser, plugs, wiring, deadman switch, exhaust manifold, compression, filters, pumps).

This boat is my personal, real life B-O-A-T joke. I'm $$ replacing, fixing parts that aren't broken.

Of course, there's always the possibility that some bad part has been replaced with a bad part.

This, as I say, from what I glean from internet boat forums, is a LONG-COMMON problem. Certainly someone has stumbled on a solution. Anyone?

One additional symptom, related/ relevant? who knows. I sometimes get, almost always get at first WOT, say 4000+ RPMs a metallic-like whir or wheezing. Back off the throttle and it goes away.

Your thoughts, please.

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

replace the ENTIRE distributor, its the magnets in there expanding too much.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

replace the ENTIRE distributor, its the magnets in there expanding too much.

SAY WHAT ????????? There aren't any magnets in the distributor to expand.

To the original poster. A couple of things I would check is 1 the fuel pump relay socket for corrosion that.
Did your mechanic ever check the boats fuel system? Here is how I check them. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

Another item is the alternator. Are you sure it is still charging after 20 minutes. The power to operate the fuel pump comes from the alternator through a diode. If the output fails, the pump starts.

I would also put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump to see if it's running or not.

slowbreak101

Cadet

It is now December, 3 more months and 4 more trips to the lake since my first post and this trouble remains unresolved.

Anti siphon valve has been removed. Combustion/ pressure/ electrical numbers have all been re-checked.

Most recent failure, the boat ran great for 90 minutes steady like a lion purr at 4000 RPMs, then one short hesitation, ran well for another 30 seconds then I immediately lost 2000 RPMs and throttle input had no effect: full throttle, no response. I was able to hold a little over wake speed and limp back under a halting idle.

Yoda, please help!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Yoda, please help!!!!

Ayuh,... Have you verified the fuel pressure at the carb, or injector,..??

The anti-siphon valve is but 1 tiny piece of the Fuel System....

Don S

Do you have a full model number, or even a serial number you can post. 99 4.3 doesn't say much.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Thanks for responding so quickly.

The anti siphon valve was removed for the lack of anything else remaining to be tried thinking maybe vapor lock.

Dear Abby :confused:

If you review my original post you'll see what I know the mechanic has done. He's done a couple other things I don't recall or don't know what he meant, like rerouting some exhaust or heat exchanger thinking the problem might be something over-heating rather than a fuel or carburation problem.

The anti siphon valve like I said, vapor lock.

He's out of ideas. He can't get any help from any Volvo techs, and I'm about ready to sign the title to charity.

I'm really hoping to tie up with someone in this forum who's had this trouble and actually got it fixed. I've been researching web posts for months on this engine and this trouble has been around for YEARS, but I haven't found a thread with a solution mentioned. Tons of suggestions, but no one ever says, "thank you! that got it!"

I'm in Arizona. Can ethanol gas deteriorate anything? I've gotten in the habit of using Stabil, but no diff to my boat, and everyone else's Arizona boat seems to run fine on ethanol fuel.

Last out, the boat ran fine then out of nowhere ran like a lawnmower or a motorcycle with the throttle still on after it's warmed up. That symptom has to be descriptive of something specific, don't you think?

I swear, free beer for life for anyone who can isolate this problem. I'm ready to cut this boat loose and when I do I'll never own another one. I'd rather be fishing, you know?

Signed,
Exasperated :mad:

AND IF THERE'S ANY VOLVO REPS ONLINE, YOUR ENGINE SUCKS. GET OFF YOUR a s s AND PONY UP SOME ANSWERS!

This is my second Volvo boat. First Volvo boat that one nothing but problems, too. Volvo, never again.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Boat specs, and I don't know if these have meaning to anyone, but:

140 HP
Serial 323615 (from Ins papers; don't know if this is even engine info)

Is there anything stamped on the engine somewhere that would be useful?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you review my original post you'll see what I know the mechanic has done. He's done a couple other things I don't recall or don't know what he meant, like rerouting some exhaust or heat exchanger thinking the problem might be something over-heating rather than a fuel or carburation problem.
This is the first time you even mentioned what type of fuel system you have. I am assuming from this that you have a carb.

You mention you have done a lot of tests but if you want help here you need to speak with specifics. For example, have you measured the fuel pressure? Have you attempted running on a portable tank?

A bad anti siphon valve does not cause vapor lock.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Bruce--

Yes, you are right, I expect I am shy on details that you/mechanics would find necessary/meaningful. (I am NOT a mechanic; I have killed lawnmowers at 50 feet. True story.)

Carburation vs injection a noticeable point.

So, among all the other pieces and parts already mentioned, a rebuilt carb has been put on.

Removing the anti siphon valve was my suggestion to my mechanic -- I'd read that as suggestion in another forum. It was cited as a vapor lock cure.

I'm going to see if I can get my mechanic involved in this thread. He can cite the data.

Please check back on this thread, see if he's in.

Thanks.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your title says 4.3, then you later state that its a 140hp? Either way, you still havent posted any results from what Don suggested.

"Another item is the alternator. Are you sure it is still charging after 20 minutes. The power to operate the fuel pump comes from the alternator through a diode. If the output fails, the pump starts."

"I would also put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump to see if it's running or not. "

And that was suggested months ago. Since then, you have gone and replaced more parts, when the answer more than likely lies in that quote.
If you are gonna sign the boat over to someone, I would take it, and that would be the very 1st two things i would do!!

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, double post.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Seaman--

4.3/ 140 HP, those specs I'm copying from my insurance papers.

"Another item is the alternator. Are you sure it is still charging after 20 minutes. The power to operate the fuel pump comes from the alternator through a diode. If the output fails, the pump starts."

"I would also put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump to see if it's running or not. "

And that was suggested months ago. Since then, you have gone and replaced more parts, when the answer more than likely lies in that quote.
END

I, in fact, printed THOSE SUGGESTIONS (and others) from months ago and passed them on to the mechanic, and I of course am not over his shoulder as he works.

If you wonder perhaps if he's maybe "working" on the boat but not repairing it and is instead working my pocket, FYI the last five times he's had the boat this summer he hasn't charged me. He would like nothing more than to get me off his Christmas Card list.

I need to pull him into this dialog. Today's Friday. The boat goes back to the shop Monday.

Please check back to see if he's on.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Seaman--

4.3/ 140 HP, those specs I'm copying from my insurance papers.

END

I, in fact, printed THOSE SUGGESTIONS (and others) from months ago and passed them on to the mechanic, and I of course am not over his shoulder as he works.

If you wonder perhaps if he's maybe "working" on the boat, not fixing it and instead is working my pocket, FYI the last five times he's had the boat this summer he hasn't charged me. He would like nothing more than to get me off his Christmas Card list.

I need to pull him into this dialog. Today's Friday. The boat goes back to the shop Monday.

Please check back to see if he's on.

Thanks.

(I am NOT a mechanic; I have killed lawnmowers at 50 feet. True story.)

Ayuh,.... That's painfully obvious,...
We're talkin' american english, 'n it's All greek to you, then you have to translate it to your Mechanic...
Major Barrier there...

What's even Worse, is you have No clue what the poor guy has been trying...
Your descriptions to Us are pretty much meaningless, but entertainin' to read...

It's taken over 4 months to find out just What this motor Might be,...
'cause "4.3/ 140 HP, those specs I'm copying from my insurance papers." Ain't much help,...
A 140hp would/ should be an I-4, 3.0l motor...
4.3l motors are more likely 175hp to 225hp....

Without direct communication with your Mechanic,... I can't see this gettin' very far...:rolleyes:

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

slowbreak man you realy need to educate yourself instead of throwing money away on parts! Open up the motor hatch and look on top of the flame arrestor cover of your engine and see if the I.D. #'s requested are printed on it and or on the side of the block for that matter. To get help here you basically have to know exaclty what you have. If you can provide that and what yo have done or in this case what you have had done almost 99% of the time you will get the solution to your problem. So please be more specific.

slowbreak101

Cadet

The product info that you guys requested:

Prod Number 3868844
Type SX-M
Serial 411161140P

The metal tag is difficult to read, and there's no decal that I could find but I'm fairly sure I've got the numbers right.

Which *I think* translates to a
4.3GL
190HP
V6 engine

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

In an earlier post I cited 140 HP on the insurance papers. Their typo I guess or they read their data wrong.

The carb prod ID is
P/N 3856862
if that helps anyone to know more about the system(s).

When I talk with Joe on Monday (the mechanic) I'm going to see if I can pull him into this discussion. He'll of course know what's been replaced and can provide the test numbers for everything currently on board.

Thx.

Don S

What are the letters following the 4.3GL, that is going to tell us what model. Your serial number is also wrong. For one thing, there shouldn't be any letters in it (411161140P) plus I tried different numbers to replace it and still nothing came up.
The spec number (3868844) can only be used by dealers, and they don't come here. There are a couple of Volvo techs here (like me) but that doesn't mean we have access for that number.

Is your tech a Volvo certified tech?

slowbreak101

Cadet
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3/3.0 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

Don--

Thanks for the quick response.

Don, I'm going to come off the numbnut here, but I'll just have to take the hit.

I've got no hard documentation purchase, insurance, registration or otherwise describing my engine other than Volvo Penta 1999. Other than that I've just got the hull # and trailer VIN.

I got the 4.3 engine spec from my pre-purchase notes with the dealer handling the boat, which was a consignment, and I've been under that 4.3 assumption ever since. That's what the guy said, and hey what do I know?

I'm wrong he's wrong. I called the repair shop to see if they knew what the letters after the GL might be, and [sigh] I'm told I don't have a 4.3, it's a 3.0.

Of course my mechanic would know, but he and I have never had any reason for a 3.0/4.3 kind of discussion.

And whether it's a 3.0 GL/SX or a GS/SX, I'll have to get that answer Monday. The mechanic's out.

Serial 4111611401

My neck is still wrenched trying to figure out the ending "P" was a "1."

So, with pie on my face and as I digest the crow about not knowing what kind of engine I own, :cool: my apologies?

FYI, I'm going to go back into these posts and edit the title where I can and change 4.3 to 3.0. I want to leave a clean google search for others about this problem for their boat who get into this forum. These are 3.0 discussions and answers not 4.3.

Don S

Prod Number 3868844
Serial 4111611401

That product number and serial number goes to the transom shield, not the engine. And that transom shield was used on many different engines over several years.
We MUST HAVE an ENGINE SN, or it full model number redjmp post the link earlier that shows you where to find it. Here it is again. http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/template/store/volvopenta/help.html

If you can't get your head in there to read it, use a digital camera and shoot it till you can read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.