1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3 Sputters, Stalls, Dies

For starters, a 3.0L engine is a straight 4 while the 4.3L is a V6. If you know what a distributor looks like, then just count the spark plug wires, the 3.0L will have 1 in the middle and 4 around the edge while the 4.3L will have more... The 3.0L will have the carburetor on one side of the engine while the 4.3L has a carb on top in the middle. The V6 is more or less symetrical from the right side to the left... My friend if you couldn't tell whether you have an inline 4 or a V6 after climbing around your motor over the last 3 or 4 months, you obviously have no mechanical aptitude at all and any help you might get here won't help you as you just don't have the degree of skill needed to understand and fix your problem. If your mechanic is the type who suggests that you try to replace every likely component that might fail instead of doing a proper diagnosis and finding the actual problem, then with all due respect, I think your mechanic has failed and it is he that should be replaced.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

This seems to be a VERY COMMON and PERSISTENT and virtually IRRESOLVABLE problem with this product.

This, as I say, from what I glean from internet boat forums, is a LONG-COMMON problem.

Would you care to post some links as I have been unable to find any other threads to validate your claims.

Also if you don't know what engine you have, how do you know what you claimed to have read actually applies to your motor?

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

AND IF THERE'S ANY VOLVO REPS ONLINE, YOUR ENGINE SUCKS. GET OFF YOUR a s s AND PONY UP SOME ANSWERS!

This is my second Volvo boat. First Volvo boat that one nothing but problems, too. Volvo, never again.

Forgive me for saying this as I know that repairing broken mechanicals can be frustrating but it sounds to me like you just are here to give everybody the run around and bash Volvo.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its also the exact same engine that Mercruiser uses and OMC as well when they were in business.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

That transom shield number (4111611401) has never been registered with Volvo.
You have a lot of people willing to help --- but you aren't doing your part.
A Volvo dealer can search by hull number --- it's stamped into the transom on the starboard side.
Why don't you post that and see what happens.
Good Luck Muc

wallerus

Seaman Apprentice

There are a number of things that will cause the symptoms you describe.
First and formost I need the engine serial number to be accurate about any possible part numbers or systems. That information is in at least 2 places. The most accurate being on the serial data tag. The other is on the title as most states require engine S/N for tracking during theft of a boat.

The serial data tag will be located on the right hand side of the engine (as you look at it from the front, not the starter side). The tag will be on a flat just above and just aft of the oil filter if you don't have remote filter. If you have a remote filter follow the oil lines back to where they go into the adapter on the block. There is a flat space right where the engine bolts to the flywheel housing. This tag contaians 3 pieces of information. The engine s/n, it is all numbers and 10 digits and should start with a 4. The spec (or part number), it is all numbers and 6 digits like 3885678. Last is the engine type. It will read similar to 4.3GL-A or 4.3GLPKD. It is best to use a flashlite and a magnifying glass. I can use any of the 3 items to find your engine.

The three most probable causes are, ignition coil, Ignition module, and fuel pump.

If you get me any of the info I need, will post tests to help you and possible work arounds while under way.

slowbreak101

Cadet

That transom shield number (4111611401) has never been registered with Volvo. A Volvo dealer can search by hull number. Why don't you post that and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. That I have, here it is:

BRCE127AC999

slowbreak101

Cadet

There are a number of things that will cause the symptoms you describe.
First and formost I need the engine serial number to be accurate about any possible part numbers or systems. That information is in at least 2 places. The most accurate being on the serial data tag. The other is on the title as most states require engine S/N for tracking during theft of a boat.

The serial data tag will be located on the right hand side of the engine (as you look at it from the front, not the starter side). The tag will be on a flat just above and just aft of the oil filter if you don't have remote filter. If you have a remote filter follow the oil lines back to where they go into the adapter on the block. There is a flat space right where the engine bolts to the flywheel housing. This tag contaians 3 pieces of information. The engine s/n, it is all numbers and 10 digits and should start with a 4. The spec (or part number), it is all numbers and 6 digits like 3885678. Last is the engine type. It will read similar to 4.3GL-A or 4.3GLPKD. It is best to use a flashlite and a magnifying glass. I can use any of the 3 items to find your engine.

The three most probable causes are, ignition coil, Ignition module, and fuel pump.

If you get me any of the info I need, will post tests to help you and possible work arounds while under way.

Wallerus--

Thank you for your polite and informative post.

--Sadly, Arizona is a non-title state. Registration includes the hull number, not engine identification.

--I've looked at with mirror and flashlight and fingered every part of that &@#ing engine I can get to to find or feel an engine ID tag. Zip.

--Your 3 most probable causes the coil, ignition, and fuel pump have all been tested and/ or replaced. Of course, swapping bad part for bad part is possible, though how common is that?

I got this boat, as I mentioned in an earlier post, as a consignment purchase (from a large and years-established dealer, not a fly-by-night), but maybe now I'm seeing why it was on the market.

Bear with me for an anecdote, this is funny. The orig owner who I met, older guy, 70s, white collar retired, educated, articulate, clean cut, told me he and his wife pretty much just used the boat as a ferry to their houseboat. By hindsight, now doesn't that just sound like the used car salesman's cliche that grandma just drove this beauty to church!?

There's one born every minute maybe, like PT said.

But, hey, the thing cuts a good figure in the drive and starts like a NASA launch on earmuffs!

Point is, I don't know the repair/ maintenance history of this thing. I'm told there's signs of [I'm editing my original post here] there has been previous engine work, signs of scarring indicating over-heating or a flame out.

Could I have lost engine identification in an aftermarket part? That would at least explain why I can't find this elusive tag.

muc

Hi,
Your hull number (according to Volvo) belongs to a 17ft Seaswirl..Was put into service 4-22-2009 as a commercial vessel.
It has two engines 4110185085 3.0GS MWTR and 4110190794 3.0GS MWTR
Both engines have had warranty claims and one of the engines had the long block replaced.
Are you sure BRCE127AC999 is the correct number?
Good Luck Muc

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your hull number (according to Volvo) belongs to a 17ft Seaswirl..Was put into service 4-22-2009 as a commercial vessel.

muc, are you sure that isn't 99 instead of 2009? Either way, I can't see a 17' Seaswirl having twin anything for power.

Slowbreak, can you post a couple of pictures of your boat, engine, and drive. It's easy to do. Here are some theads explaining how to post pictues.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32 look at the first 3 posts (stickies)

muc

Yes your right 1999

That?s why I said (according to Volvo)

The warranty even included ?good will? --- remember back when the manufactures were making money and they would ?help? out?

Covered sea water pumps, manifolds and a long block in a commercial application. Some times when we get bits and pieces of the story it really makes a guy wonder whats going on.

Ran into stuff like this when I was adjusting claims for 2+4 extended warranty. Almost always there was an innocent explanation.

Good Luck Muc

Don S

remember back when the manufactures were making money and they would ?help? out?

Yeah, way back when ............ Sad to say, I no longer work for a Volvo dealership. and really didn't get to see all the changes after the economy took a dump.
Would still rather have a Volvo than anything else.

BUT, until anyone is sure what he actually has, it's all up in the air as to what the problem is. If the OP's boat actually has 2 engines, I would also be wondering how the fuel system was plumbed.

As an example, I talked with a guy on the phone over a 2 week period trying to get his boat to run over 3000 rpm at WOT, nothing worked. He told me many time the engine ran and idled smooth as silk. I finally got him to bring the boat in. Started it up and could hear a dead miss. Quick compression test showed 2 cylinders with 0 compression.
Pulled the valve covers (Customer did his valve job) and the studs for the rocker arms had way different amounts of theads showing. Readjusted the valves and the engine then ran perfect and he got full rpm again.
We did all his work after that.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Slowbreak, can you post a couple of pictures of your boat, engine, and drive.

The boat is 1999 twin nothing, single prop.

Attachments

• P1010305.jpg
    P1010305.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010306.jpg
    P1010306.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010303.JPG
    P1010303.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

FANTASTIC.
It is a 3.0L inline 4 cylinder engine. NOT a 4.3L V6.

Now, WE know what to look for.

Don S

Now, we need the serial number and full model number (all the letters) from the plate in this picture. Like I said earlier, a digital camera works wonders if you can't get in there to see.

attachment.php

Also need a picture of the starboard side of the engine. Need to see what kind of distributor, and how things are wired. From your picture, the item circled in yellow looks oddly like a ballast resistor and should not be on a 99 engine, especially Volvo, because they used the EST distributor, not a points distributor.
Something is really wrong here.

EDIT: Seems you do have a picture of the stbd side. Wrong ign system

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled6.jpg
    Untitled6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Ok, here's the deal. You DO NOT have a Volvo engine, or a Volvo problem. You have a previous owner problem.
The engine was replaced with what appears to be a Mercruiser (Black in color, not Volvo Gray). Merc also used that ignition sytem up to the late 80's. For Merc, there should be a resistor wire in place of the ballast resistor (I circled it in yellow earlier). Who knows if the ballast resistor has the proper ohms rating or not. At this point, it's also impossible to tell if it's even wired right.

Odd your Volvo tech that has been working on your boat never mentioned any of this.
I would bet money, if you found a qualified tech, he could make that engine run just as well as a new Volvo or Mercruiser 3.0L engine.
If you want your tech to work on it, have him check to make sure the ohm reading is proper for a Mercruiser points system, and that it has the proper coil installed. Bet it works after that is done.

slowbreak101

Cadet

[EDIT] Moderator Don's post makes this post white noise. Deleted.

Attachments

• 12-12-2010 6-09-37 PM.jpg
    12-12-2010 6-09-37 PM.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

You and I were typing at the same time. Look at my replies before you last post.

slowbreak101

Cadet

Ok, here's the deal. You DO NOT have a Volvo engine, or a Volvo problem. You have a previous owner problem.
The engine was replaced with what appears to be a Mercruiser (Black in color, not Volvo Gray). Merc also used that ignition sytem up to the late 80's. For Merc, there should be a resistor wire in place of the ballast resistor (I circled it in yellow earlier). Who knows if the ballast resistor has the proper ohms rating or not. At this point, it's also impossible to tell if it's even wired right.

Odd your Volvo tech that has been working on your boat never mentioned any of this.
I would bet money, if you found a qualified tech, he could make that engine run just as well as a new Volvo or Mercruiser 3.0L engine.
If you want your tech to work on it, have him check to make sure the ohm reading is proper for a Mercruiser points system, and that it has the proper coil installed. Bet it works after that is done.

Don, the boat goes back into the shop tomorrow. I'm printing this out, and I expect I'll be talking smack about Volvo-Merc Grey-Black and WTF.

I'll let you know.

Glad to see you are making some headway....I must say reading this tread has been like reading a great mystery novel!:D

Slowbreak: I can tell you Don is THE MAN...and knows his stuff backwards, frontways and sideways...or should I say aft, bow and Port/Starboard!

I am looking forward to the conclusion of your problem....and your subsequent enjoyment of your boat and this forum...welcome!

For the record...Volvo 4.3L's are great reliable engines...they are made by GM for Volvo afterall!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.