1995 Crownline225 br restoration

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does any one know where to get the best prices on fiberglass? I'd like to buy all the stuff I need for the floor pretty soon. I've looked around, I don't know if there's any place better than another. And I need stainless screws as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Where are you located. Shipping is PRICEEEEEEEE! Sooooo it's always best to get your products as close to you as possible.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm in PA . It would be nice to get stuff off amazon. I can get free shipping.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Very cool project, thanks for posting. Sad to see a nice boat like that go bad, glad it's in the hands of a respectful owner now. You scored getting that for free, I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

Here's how one member did it...
IMG_2291_zps3c0549c2.jpg

Woodonglass, what member is this?

tpenfield

Staff member
Many of the online sites will get you in the $30-40 range for resin, but then it is about $10 / gallon to ship it. Cloth is a bit more economical on the shipping side.

I prefer to go direct rather than through Amazon. iBoats sell some supplies, so please do check here for things that you will need.

U.S. composites and the one WoG just mentioned are places where I have purchased resin and glass with good results.

I was at West Marine the other day and their resin was $60/gallon :eek:

You could also do a google and yellowbook search for any places within driving distance, as that can save you shipping, but may pick up sales tax, depending on the exact situation.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Brian 26 , I'm gonna bring her back to life. Hey tpenfield your rite going direct is the way to go. Fiberglassite.com is in driving distance for me . With in reason I guess, a full tank of gas is cheaper than those shipping prices. And yes the prices of resin :eek: I'm still trying to research the different options for stringers and the deck . Woodonglass can you send me your revised stringer recommendation.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used bot the US place and the Fiberglass place mentioned, both are great to deal with...the fiberglass place was about 175 per 5 gallons, MEKP and measuring cups included. Bonus if its in drive distance....hazmat was about 50 to KS. I got all of my glass, CSM and 1708 from evilbay. look for the free shipping ones.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great to hear from you thanks for the info .Did you do stringers??? What was your process???

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good deal thanks, Seeing your boat finished inspires me . WOW that thing is nice.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
20150816_154753_zpshsneuzxw.jpg This is how we do things in PA. And no I'm not the old guy on the skid loader. This old farmer is awesome. He can fix anything with a hammer . He could rebuild this engine with a hammer if he wanted. And he is hilarious to be around.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
20150816_163852_zpsy3eazzvp.jpg And its finally out , almost time for more destruction. Have to measure first.

tpenfield

Staff member
tpenfield wad that $60 for 1 gallon ???

Yes, 1 gallon . . . must have been the 'in season' price. In the past I have gotten poly resin for $30/ and VE resin for $45/

Did anything break when the engine toppled over?

Last edited:

elitetool

Cadet
Jameo, I'm in the same situation as you. 1994 225br, sat uncovered for over a year. Floors rotted, interior shot, bravo 1 and 454 neglected and looking to overhaul during winter and spring here in S. Jersey. Please keep a record of how much supplies you use(resin, cloth etc). I'm a month behind you and would like to buy everything I need at once. There's a great overhaul on youtube by frisco boater. He does a sea ray but it has the same setup as mine and looks a lot like the lines on my boat. You're doing a great job so far and its inspiring to see quickly you're progressing. I'll be following this thread daily so keep posting (pics are worth a thousand words). Good Luck!
Shawn