1989 Trophy 170 Budget Build

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd like to start this build thread with a little bit of an introduction. I am a engineering student who thoroughly enjoys any time I can spend outdoors. I grew up fishing, hunting, camping, trapping, hiking...anything outdoors, I wanted to do it. As far as growing up fishing, I was raised a walleye fisherman, so that being said, I have fished some rough water, some big water, and through some nasty weather. For a few years now I have been on my own and planned multiple fishing trips of my own with my brother and friends. I have purchased most of the gear that I need to self outfit these trips with the exception of a few things. The most important thing that I planned to buy was my own boat.

I was raised in SE Minnesota where there is not much to fish other than a few small creeks and the Mississippi, but we did have connections to northern MN where we visited often, and of course fished as well. From as far back as I can remember, I grew up on a 1999 Lund Pro-V 1775, it had a 75 2 stroke Mercury tiller on it when we bought it, and later fitted it with a 75 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller. (Night and Day difference, I am hooked on 4 strokes to say the least.) So growing up on a big deep V Lund, and then growing to the age where I was able to run my own boat, I have been through the ranks of small boats and various motors. For weeks on end I have operated 14' resort style boats with anything from a 10 -35 horse motor, then to a 16 foot alaskan with a 25 horse, and more recently I have been able to convince my father to let me drive the '99 Lund before we sold that to buy the current family boat, which is a 2002 Lund Explorer 1700 side console with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke. With experience operating these boats and more that I am forgetting, I knew that I wanted something 16+ feet in length and I didnt want to be constrained with a HP limit of 60 or 70 HP. In addition, I wanted room for the lady, and our dog, and a few passengers if we decided to cruise the lake for a while.

Now, I am relatively new to the forum, but I have been lurking for a few years now on and off. I have always wanted a boat of my own rather than having to borrow a boat each time that I wanted to go on a trip. As of lately I have been borrowing an old Smokercraft 16' boat with a 50hp Merc on the back, and it absolutely frightened the living daylights out of me. It was by far the most unstable and terrible handling boat that I have ever operated. So that was the last straw, it was time for me to buy a boat, my own boat.

So with a length, HP, and capacity in mind, I set out to see what I could find. Upon asking for some advice here just a short while ago ( See Here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/10298837-need-a-few-honest-opinions-on-buying-a-boat ) I was directed to look for something with a somewhat solid floor and somewhat decent interior so I could run it for a few years and then rehab the interior to my likings. There were a few 3-400 dollar boats that were merely an aluminum can with 600lbs of rotten carpet, foam, and leaves inside that I had looked at and talked myself out of, and there were also some very nice boats that had nice floors and interiors, but had a 60 HP limit or they were a 16' boat with a 2' splashwell in the back... All kind of bummers in my scenario.

After countless trips to go check out boats from CL in various states of disrepair, I finally narrowed my search down to a few different boats that are fairly common to find, and within my price range. So for the last few weeks, I have been on and off searching within these categories for a boat that I could make my own. And after around 900 miles of traveling to look at boats, I finally scored.

So I kept the search going, until yesterday morning. It was a typical Monday for me, I was headed back to school for class, and I ended up being about 30 minutes early, so I did the natural thing and pulled out my laptop and browsed the local classifieds. I liked to go to the CL boats section and type in my price limit and scroll through the new options of the week. Lone behold there was a 1989 Alumacraft Trophy 170 posted 18 minutes before I started browsing, I immediately pulled out my phone and texted the seller asking when and where we could meet and how soon it could happen. We talked for a few minutes and set a time to meet. Later that afternoon I drove an hour to check out the boat and hopefully buy it from him.

After making sure there were not any real bad flaws with the boat (to the best of my eyes' knowledge) I haggled him down a few hundred bucks and paid him, but there was a catch, if I was going to get the deal that I bargained for, it had to leave his garage that night. I daily drive a 98 Honda Accord with 250k on the clock...yes it has a 2" ball on the back...so I paid the man and was on my way, cautiously. After driving for an hour and a half at 55, we made it to my rental, and parked it until I can take it home this weekend. **Disclaimer** I would not recommend towing a boat of this stature with a car like mine.... but you have to do what you have to do...

Here are some pictures of the boat that were included in the CL ad. The seller claims that he had a 90 HP Evinrude VRO on it that blew the 3rd cylinder while up north. Motor repair would have costed more than he bought the boat for, so his wife would rather him buy a new boat, so he sold this to fund the new one. Anyhow, it has a solid floor, new stereo, interior lighting, some good seats, has an infloor fuel tank, and came with a nice canvas cover and a yacht club roller trailer. All for a little over $1000.

So here it is! I have some plans for it already, but first thing is first, I need to get it cleaned up and fix a few screw holes that are in the transom from what looks like dozens of transducer relocations...And I plan to float it this fall quick before the ice hits with just a trolling motor on the back. Just to see how it is going to float for me and check for leaks anywhere, and basically say that I did it!

Last edited:

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are a few pictures of what I grew up in and our newest family boat. I rarely got to operate the 99 Pro-V Tiller, and the same goes with the newer one, but I do like to look at them...

Here is the 99 Pro-V that was recently sold to a fishing guide in Ontario, we know the guy pretty well and he really enjoys the boat!

And here is our current family boat. Original owner had it on the water less than 10 times, motor had 8 hours on it when we purchased it. Youll see that the boat has a 24V MinnKota Ulterra on it. My dad is slightly handicapped due to a hunting accident, and we installed that for safety reasons so he would not be walking with canes to deploy the old style manual trollers. That and the console were major upgrades for him.

And here is one of my favorite small boats from my childhood. Its a 1946 Alumacraft 14' with a 1985 Johnson 15hp on it. I hope to restore that boat someday with a period correct motor.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In preparation to buying this boat, I almost knew that I would be needing to buy a motor for any boat that I purchased. So a week or so back there was an old rotten rinkerbuilt that popped up for sale in the town classifieds. It was a 1982 16' fiberglass boat with a 1983 Mercury 80 on the back. The boat was complete, but too far gone to even think about repairing. So I picked the boat up for $250 in non running, as is condition. Brought it home and started surgery immediately. In a few hours time, my helper and I had the boat stripped of all useful items and the outboard. After disposing of the hull and other junk that was in the boat, I was left with an outboard, an old Minn Kota Edge trolling motor, some decent seats and seat mounts, a nice walk through windshield, and a hand full of other miscelaneous boat parts and hardware.

This past weekend I built an outboard stand for the motor and mounted the Merc on it and tore into it head first. First on the list was to remove the cowls and get to the carbs so I could clean them and 'rebuild' them the best I could without putting new parts inside. After a few cans of aeresol carb cleaner, and about an hour, I had it back together and ready to test. I put fresh mix to the motor and primed it with the bulb. After a little hesitation, it sputtered and came to life. So I shut it down and made a barrel for the water pickup to sit in so I could run it for more than a few seconds at a time.

After running the motor for about 15 minutes, I shut it down and drained the water from the barrel and took the motor back to the shop. I took note of what parts to order and what needed to be done before even attempting to mount it on a boat and run it..And that is where I sit as of now, waiting on parts and pieces to arrive so I can rehab it to the best of my abilities.

Here are a few pictures of what I started with and where I am at now with the motor.

Here is a short clip of it running for me.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like a nice solid open bow, nearly identical to the Starcraft SS. :thumb:

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is a really nice boat especially for what I paid for it. I am already contemplating deleting the splashwell in the back and putting on wavewackers of some sort just so I can gain the extra foot or so of floor space. But for now, it will do just perfectly fine. I am still planning to buy an older starcraft of some sort to do a full resto-mod build out of. I would really like a jupiter or something along those lines with a period correct motor and updated interior and console. Just for a cruiser, but I think one boat is good enough for me for a while!

I did get up close and personal with the transom on the Trophy and it looks to be completely solid with no obvious sign of rot, as far as I could see without tearing it apart anyhow... I think when time permits, the first thing I am going to do is some vaccuming and put a battery in it to see what works, and what doesnt. It looks really nice in the pictures, but there are definately some flaws when you get up close and personal with it. Which for a fishing boat is absolutely fine, but I can see renovations happening in the future!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice boat, congrats on the engine/donor boat score. Seems like you are well on your way to your very own self sufficient walleye trip. Be careful and safe when putting this boat together. Spare no expense on saftey items and mechanical parts. Make sure she runs well enough to get you out on the big water....and back. Bottom feeding is great but when it comes to reliability and saftey, spend the money. I'll be tagging along for the ride if you don't mind sir.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I Strongly recommend you core sample the transom. Tapping on it or visual inspection will tell you nothing. Boats of this vintage unless they have had meticulous care usually have a lot of hidden problems.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^^what he said. that's an awfully heavy motor to put on a rotted transom. make sure it is solid before advancing.

Watermann

Yeah a boat thats been used will always show that use over time as long as it's not been neglected and left out to languish in the elements. While you have no motor on the transom, pull off the transom cap and take a look under there for any rot or de-lamination of the ply before dropping the Merc on it.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice guys! Depending on how in depth I get, I might pull the transom and replace it anyways. There are a ton of holes in the back from various transducers and other crap that has been installed, I want to have those fixed properly and if I am going that deep, I may just as well replace it while I am in there.

I definately do not plan to skimp on safety, I plan to install 2 new bilge pumps ( one auto, one switched) , a new set of nav lights, and a good marine radio to start with. It will be taken on plenty of shakedown runs before I hit big water, and once I do take it to bigger bodies of water, Ill have a chase boat for the first couple of long trips. Until we can trust it to get from point A to point B. I plan to take the motor to a marina to have it checked over before I get it mounted on the boat. I would rather have a professional tune it and check it over rather than trust my minimal experience with the motors.

I absolutely do not mind one bit if you tag along Pat! I can always use more than one opinion! Please feel free to point things out if I am not mentioning them!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good ideas axl. keep us in the loop. That's a nice looking boat you have. I'm sure we'd all like to see how she turns out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Nice find for the $$. I was worried when looking at your thread title that you had bought an '89 Trophy brand boat which is a low-end fishing boat brand built by Bayliner. They're decent now but were pretty bad back then. Fortunately I see you've got an Alumacraft which is a great tinny brand. Should perform well with the Mercury you acquired.

I'd put a kicker bracket on it and find a 6-15HP kicker motor on it for peace of mind and also for a trolling motor if that's the kind of fishing you do. I have one on my Starcraft and though I've never had to reply on it to get me home, it's great knowing it's there if I need it.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I will definitely be taking along our 15 hp johnson along on the first few runs. I dont plan on running a kicker permanently, but I will always have some form of auxilary power, whether being a trolling motor or a kicker. I dont fish far enough off shore to be worried about being stranded. There is always a body of land within a paddles distance if need be. I will see what I can do this weekend, and possibly see if I can pull some core samples and the transom cap to check everything out.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
You scored on a NICE Boat. Alumacraft's are one of the top 5 aluminum boats made. A most worthy boat to spend some money on. I was looking on Craigs List at one like your up near the cities without a motor, darn near made another road trip up north to get it. I suggest that you do a complete re wire of the whole boat. I also recommend that you look closely at the transom to look for any indication of wood rot. Good luck on your re hab..will be following your work.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got deep into the rear of the boat on friday after work, and I found a few interesting things. At this point, I plan on doing a new transom just for the fact of my own personal peace of mind. It does not look to be a terribly hard job to replace it.. but that could change when I get deeper into it.

I found the following things:

-There was little to no rot on the transom that I could see or feel, but it is plated on both sides with aluminum, and I did not plan to drill and make more holes.
-I found some soft floor near where the battery was originally located, it was soft, but not completely rotten yet...
-The boat has its original bilge pump and its original aerator pump mounted down by the drain plug...I dont know if either even work yet.
-There was foam cut to angles fit in the back, and only a few pieces that were sitting on the floor had gotten slight water intrusion. (It will be replaced!!)
-The splashwell is mainly made to create a place for foam to be installed incase of a catastropic event...so for now, the splashwell is staying in the boat.

From here on out I think I will be weighing a few options... I know I want to put a new transom in the boat. I think when I do that, I might as well put some plywood down and redo the floor instead of having to tear the boat apart again shortly. I plan to put new plywood and then top it with Nautolex vinyl. I have to remove the gunwhale top to get the splashwell out, so I plan to put new carpet on that when it is apart. That is as far as I have come with my future plans for the boat.

I found some disturbing things after I got down into the boat and looked around a little more. The previous owner absolutely demolished the passenger console when he installed a stereo, and I found out that my windsheild is horribly loose and needs lots of repair. (on a side note, does anybody know of a good place to buy weatherstripping for boat windsheilds???)

There is alot to be done for me to be happy...(typical) but I am confident that I can get it done and have a really nice boat.

In the mean time. I would like to ask opinions on what to use for the transom build and what to use for floor plywood. I looked at the price for Okume 1088 marine plywood the other night and almost had a heart attack. The boat will live in storage for 90% of its life, dried before put up, and it will be stored inside. Can I use a good grade of exterior ply for my floor? Will I need to seal it somehow? I plan on using 5/8" ply for the floor, with nautolex vinyl on top. I need some opinions on what to do...

For the transom, I read a few threads about what to do, and how others built theirs. Do I need to fiberglass the laminated plywood? Or is that mainly used on fiberglass boats??? I have lots of experience with wood working, but none with laminating 3/4" plywood. And none with building boat transoms... So again, what to use, how do I build the transom, and what else should I know before tackling this? If all goes well, I would like to do this transom and floor installation over christmas break in the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed...

Watermann

Your doing the right thing making the boat safe and not using it with compromised wood.

You can use Titebond III to laminate the transom wood. I found some good ext grade ply and used it rather than special ordering expensive marine grade and really haven't noticed the difference.

Windshield weatherseal, yeah I just found this at Home Depot in store.

IMAG2589.jpg

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe I said the wrong thing when I said I was looking for the weatherstrip. Im looking for the plastic insert that covers the mounting screw holes. Mine is completely cracked and broken in multiple places. I think I just round my rub rail insert material! Which is progress to say the least! I believe this is it...http://tacomarine.com/product/V12-0317/15-16-x-3-8-Flexible-Vinyl-Insert

Watermann, did you just bond the two plies of wood and call it good? Or did you seal the transom with some sort of sealant???

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, kudos to that poor Honda. Haha, congrats on the boat, looks nice!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You do not need to use fiberglass fabric over your wood. I used Epoxy to seal all my wood. I laminated with titebond III. Then epoxied. here is a formula for a homemade sealer if Epoxy is too expensive for your budget.

I think you might want to substitute the polyurethane for shellac or varnish as poly is meant for interior only. maybe Wood will chime in and let you know for sure.