1989 Trophy 170 Budget Build

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I love my Bosch 5" random orbital...hook and loop

Do you know what model you own??

I am looking at the 1250 DEVS. Its a 6.5 amp machine, theres one for sale locally for pretty cheap, always been a fan of the Bosch sanders!

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had some free time last night to play with the boat and the paint that I ordered. I used a roller and also used my small HVLP gun to see which method layed down paint better. I ultimately liked the spray gun better, as it is much more control-able in my eyes.

At first, I removed the old adhesive from the gunnels with a gasoline soaked rag and a razor scraper. Which happens to be the only way that I could successfully remove it. Id say that from start to finish for just one half the boat, I was scraping for nearly 2 hours on and off.

After the stripping, I wiped it down with some solvent to get rid of the gas residue left over. Once dry, I shook my can of the Majic SE primer, and laid a thin coat of that on the top of the gunnel. It is a quick dry primer, so 10 minutes later, it was dry. Then I went on to shake up the can of regular metal primer, and put two nice coats of that on top of the SE primer. This is a slower drying primer, so I laid the two coats, and went to town to grab a bite to eat, and get some supplies.

After coming back, I turned the heat up a little more and started to mix up a gallon of my Rustoleum paint. After working with it for about 20 minutes, I bit the bullet and started to mix the paint. I mixed up the 2 cups of paint, hardener, and thinner as directed by the sticky thread. I let it 'cook' for 30 minutes while final prepping the surface to be painted. Now I moved on to attempting to spray some of the paint with my small HVLP gun. (the very small harbor freight gun, apparently I lost the bigger one) I had previously painted the inner transom skin in an IH off white, and I planned to color match that with the new paint when it came in. So I roughed it up with some 220 grit paper and went to spraying with the HVLP and paint mix. Overall, I was pleased with how it came out of the gun (keep in mind, this is a 1.0mm tip) and also how it laid on the transom skin. After completing this, I realized that I mixed too much paint. I used maybe a 1/4 cup for the transom skin, and then maybe 1/2 a cup on the gunnel top. So, about half the paint that I mixed, was wasted.

But, all in all, I am pleased with how it came out and aslo how the color looks like in person. Here are a few pictures for you guys to look at, because I have been lacking lately.

https://goo.gl/photos/GNbXm4DddPqZ6YoH9

https://goo.gl/photos/xGumfmmamJH5mNwE6

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
FYI, if your using a 1mm tip then the paint should be thinned a bit more in order to get proper atomization.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Looking great for a budget build... Or for any build for that matter.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im glad that it is the color that I wanted to end up with, I couldnt order it anywhere for the price that Home Depot had it for, and of course, I had to fight with them tooth and nail to get this color shipped to me. The story was that they carry it in two varieties. One straight from Rustoleum branded as a 7771 color code, and then HD buys it in different format and badges it with a different paint code all together...(whats the point?) Anyhow, after a week of phone tag, it showed up at my doorstep.

Woodonglass, I ended up realizing that after I played with a test piece to set up the gun, ended up thinning it down fairly well so it would shoot nice. I still cant find my larger HVLP gun, so I may have to go pick up another. If I recall that style has a 1.4mm tip on it and the recipe that is posted would work perfectly with that.

I dont think I will get any time this weekend to play with the boat, but I MAY get some parts to add to it for final touches. We will see!

Thanks for the support guys! It helps keep motivation strong!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man nothing is ever easy is it? Way to persevere!

Mudball_3

Cadet
Looks great Axl! Just wondering if you will be putting the trim pieces back on the gunnel? Curious to see how that would look without carpet. Keep up the good work!

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mudball_3 , I do plan to put the rub rail back on the outside, and the inside trim pieces back into the boat as well.I just could not stand the carpeting that was on there. I hope to play with it some more this weekend.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for the long wait without posting or getting back to you guys. I'm still slowly nibbling at the boat. Planning to have it atleast ready to test by the 12th of august. I'm going to be pressure washing the boat tomorrow and pouring foam tomorrow night hopefully. After that, it's a matter of getting things re installed and working the way I want them to. I haven't had much of a chance at all to work on this thing this summer.
One of my coworkers decided that it was his time to leave, and the boss doesnt seem to want to hire more help. So I'm stuck with the workload of 2 guys, and it is nice to have a steady job, but the overtime just sucks the life out of me.

Anyhow, I have 2 of the US composites 16lb 2lb density foam kits, hoping that will give me enough to fill the floor and a few more spots that need support/ sound deadening/flotation.

After that, the nasty dirt work should be almost done and I can get on to enjoy the re assembly.

I see that photobucket has screwed its users over and isn't allowing 3rd party pictures anymore, so I'll have to load the previous pictures sometime later on.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back, these things take time and work sure does get in the way now and then.

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys, I know I talked earlier about life getting in the way, but I am STILL working on this project. Hoping to get the cover pulled off and update you all on the progress I have made in the nearly 4.5 years of dormancy on this project.

I'm hoping this will be completed, splashed, and listed for sale sometime this spring/summer.

In the meantime, I have since graduated from college, gotten married, and learned a whole lot about what not to do when it comes to budget builds of boats.

Hopefully some of the original guys that were following this project are still around!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
We're all still kickin. cough, cough. Last comment was only kidding.
Exciting to have a whole brave exciting new future going on with you.
Congrats! Now finish the dang boat before the kids show up.