1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160 with a 5.7

cbain

Seaman
​ESA is likely disabled. Have a picture of the distributor?

I currently don't have a picture. but I will say I don't hear the hiccup in the motor like I should when the switch is activated. is there a wiring diagram you can assist me with for the troubleshooting f this ESA

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Now need to know what distributor is on there and/or if there has been electronic ignition added to it. Need a photo of it first.

claymbain

Recruit
OK all my last name on here was cbain. I had to change due to some kind of technical error so any ways this is my new name for the forum. now to get some pics of this distributor so I can move forward with this project. sorry for the delay everyone.

Fun Times

Staff member
OK all my last name on here was cbain. I had to change due to some kind of technical error so any ways this is my new name for the forum. now to get some pics of this distributor so I can move forward with this project. sorry for the delay everyone.
Not to sure of why you had technical errors going on with your other name, but usually in order to be able to use the forums tools to upload photos, you have to have at least 3 or more posts to post them unless you use an outside source such as photobucket.com and link it here. http://photobucket.com/

This how to post a photo may help you out some, Photo Upload Tutorial

PS, We may be merging your names back to the original one if everything appears normal behind the behind the scenes.

cbain

Seaman
No Title

Finally. here are the photos. I had some issues but got them up. please any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo252746.png
    photo252746.png
    614.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252747.png
    photo252747.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252748.png
    photo252748.png
    492 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252749.png
    photo252749.png
    524.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252750.png
    photo252750.png
    488.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252751.png
    photo252751.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
Finally. here are the photos. I had some issues but got them up. please any help would be appreciated.
Glad you were able to make your old name usable again.. Better off just staying with the old name for better help especially since you have a mismatched engine from OMC to Mercruiser parts.

The ignition system in your photos are of a half completed Mercruiser Thunderbolt 4 ignition system....Might want to look up online, Mercruiser thunderbolt iv troubleshooting for additional help if needed.

cbain

Seaman
Can this thunderbolt ignition be deleted. It was rigged up by previous owner. I notice my timing mark is nearly 12 o clock position on balancer. Not anywhere close to timing marks. Could this be why it's so off?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have a few choices. One of which is to hook up your current distributor to the shift switch ,Ike mercruiser does. My bet is don't even have an Esa module anymore.

You can but a Delco EST distributor too but you will still have to rig up the shift switch.

cbain

Seaman
can you walk me through hooking distributor up to the shift switch. I think this is the way I want to go to delete the nightmare this guy has done to it.

cbain

Seaman
The TB4 is a good system and easy to hook up. In the link below achris shows how it works and how to hook it up

Remember to connect the grounds

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...n-systems-work

Thanks ALLDodge. I will be chasing wires tonight and see if it is connected properly. The engine runs but the switch does not cut out the motor. so with that at hand how do I go about timing the engine when I cant get the mark close to timing marks without it dying?

alldodge

Staff member
how do I go about timing the engine when I cant get the mark close to timing marks without it dying?

My guess is the vibration damper was pulled apart by the PO using the wrong puller. Then they put the damper back together at the wrong spot. I see that you need to replace the damper

cbain

Seaman
so do I just use a Chevy 350 damper or is there a specific marine damper I need to use?

alldodge

Staff member
It would be the standard damper, but show us a pic of your timing cover to make sure something else is not the issue. Don't see the wrong cover being installed but need to check.

Could also bring number 1 cylinder around to TDC and see where the timing mark is, it should be real close to the mark (+/- few degrees)

cbain

Seaman
ok I will have to get a photo later on but I will do the TDC on piston #1 then mark where the mark is then go from there. would that be ok for timing the motor?