1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160 with a 5.7

alldodge

Staff member
ok I will have to get a photo later on but I will do the TDC on piston #1 then mark where the mark is then go from there. would that be ok for timing the motor?

Not really, there are two issues to consider with this

To get true TDC without removing the timing cover, would be to remove all plugs, install a stop bolt inside the spark plug hole. The engine is rotated "by hand" until the piston touches the stop bolt. Bolt is removed, motor is turned until it passes TDC, bolt is reinstalled and rotated backwards until it stops. When bolt is contacted FWD/REV the damper is marked. The distance between the two marks is true TDC.

The second issue is if the damper was pulled apart and reinstalled, then the damper will no longer be able to keep the vibration at bay. Over time things will break.

We need to find out what is going on before replacing anything.

alldodge

Staff member
Rotate the motor to number 1 to see if it is off, and if its off by how much. If its off a tad, maybe the wrong cover was installed, if its a lot then my guess would be the damper is wrong or was pulled apart

cbain

Seaman
it is off a lot. sitting almost 12 o clock position on the damper. the marks for the TDC are about the 2-3 o clock position. not looking at it right at the moment but if memory doesn't fail me that was what I was seeing with a timing light.

alldodge

Staff member
Then I would say either it was pulled apart or the wrong damper was installed. Look for an 87 truck damper

cbain

Seaman
Keep in mind the boat originally had a 5.0. I'm not sure what they year of the engine is. Would that matter? I know it's around that time period anyways.

cbain

Seaman
Roger, Thanks for the help. I think I have enough info to keep me busy for a while. I will report back with hopefully good news but if not I will probably ask more rookie questions.