1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Did a little work on the tongue today.. I was able to straighten some of it out..
Did a second coat of paint also.. Hope to put the final coat on tomorrow..
Here's another pic of the trailer tongue..

100_3530.jpg

Some of the trailer parts and fender..

100_3531.jpg

Hope all you I-boaters on the east coast or doing ok.. Watching the news and seeing all the major weather your way..
Really bad..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice work, looks great.

Hey, whats all that green stuff in your yard?

Decker83

Commander
I know you gents up north east don't want to hear this, but we had mid 60's today..
Shot the trailer with the 3rd coat of rusto with harder today..

100_3534.jpg
Here's a pic of the fender with 2nd coat.. Can't tell from the pic, but it is smooth as glass..

100_3533.jpg

Need to shoot 1 more coat on the fenders with hardner..
Going to sand blast the wheels.. Try my hand at pin striping the trailer and put her back together..

Need new tires on the trailer.. What should I go with? radial or bias? and what rating should I go by?

Have a great week iboaters..

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey - Don't get any over spray on the Ramcharger, Deck. LOL Mine needs plenty of bondo. :eek:

You have trailer parts growing on a tree! LOL Looks like you have much better painting weather than here,

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use radials for my boat trailers since they're rated enough to hold up a car motor, steel frame, body and tranny. Those load rated trailer tires will beat the ever loving out of your boat and everything in it.

Looking good :encouragement:

Decker83

Commander
Hey - Don't get any over spray on the Ramcharger, Deck. LOL Mine needs plenty of bondo. :eek:

You have trailer parts growing on a tree! LOL Looks like you have much better painting weather than here,
The Ramcharger could use some paint..:faint2: The weather has been unusually warm here..:D

I use radials for my boat trailers since they're rated enough to hold up a car motor, steel frame, body and tranny. Those load rated trailer tires will beat the ever loving out of your boat and everything in it.

Did you put car tires on your trailer? I did that about 20 years ago and they came apart in the first 100 miles.. Bought them at Discount Tire and when I took them back they said I bought the wrong tires and no refund was given..:mad-new:

Decker83

Commander
The weather was great today.. In the mid 70's.. I was outside in a Tee shirt..:D
I finished up the bunks with the new carpet.. Sandblasted 3 wheels and primed today.
Put on the 3rd coat on the fenders and other trailer parts..
Will have pics up tomorrow..
Need to buy new tires for the wheels and repack the wheel bearings on the trailer..
Ordered the new LED lights.. Will be here Monday..
It sure does cost to paint a trailer..:laugh:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Trailers looking good Decker ! Everything boat related seems to be costly .... I'm sure the LED's weren't too cheap .... But they are nice !

BajaRon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Watermann, I would like to know more info about radial tires for towing. I plan on towing 1500 miles one way, at least once a year. A softer ride would be great, saving the boat and trailer. Thanks, Ron

The weather was great today.. In the mid 70's.. I was outside in a Tee shirt..:D
I finished up the bunks with the new carpet.. Sandblasted 3 wheels and primed today.
Put on the 3rd coat on the fenders and other trailer parts..
Will have pics up tomorrow..
Need to buy new tires for the wheels and repack the wheel bearings on the trailer..
Ordered the new LED lights.. Will be here Monday..
It sure does cost to paint a trailer..:laugh:

Three coats of paint will look good when pulling up to the lake. I am going with the blood and guts look...galvanized trailer and wheels. LED lights for sure! Keep the the same work...excellent, Ron

Watermann

No reason I can see to have 10 ply load rated tires on a tin boat trailer. Funny thing is people put P rated tires on their big heavy Suburban or Excursion but are afraid to use them on their aluminum boat trailer for some reason. Maybe I'm the crazy one :crazy:

Decker83

Commander
Trailers looking good Decker ! Everything boat related seems to be costly .... I'm sure the LED's weren't too cheap .... But they are nice !

Thanks for dropping in Sam.. Yeah the boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand..:D

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Watermann, I would like to know more info about radial tires for towing. I plan on towing 1500 miles one way, at least once a year. A softer ride would be great, saving the boat and trailer. Thanks, Ron

Three coats of paint will look good when pulling up to the lake. I am going with the blood and guts look...galvanized trailer and wheels. LED lights for sure! Keep the the same work...excellent, Ron

Thanks for dropping in Ron.. I like the galvanized trailer and wheels too..

No reason I can see to have 10 ply load rated tires on a tin boat trailer. Funny thing is people put P rated tires on their big heavy Suburban or Excursion but are afraid to use them on their aluminum boat trailer for some reason. Maybe I'm the crazy one :crazy:
I agree with the 10 ply tires being a over load..

This article may help you out. http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/archives/what-to-know-about-trailer-tires.asp Trailer tires are made for trailers and car tires for cars. I have radial trailer tires on my tandem trailer and she pulls beautifully, much nicer than bias tires. I tow a minimum of 130 miles each weekend and no problems on longer trips either.

Weep'n Willy, Thanks for the article.. Helps me out a lot..
I will be using the ST radial tires now..
Welcome to my dry dock..:D

Decker83

Commander
Had another great day today.. Bolted the fenders and trailer parts back on..
Painted the first coat of rusto white on the wheels..
Getting close to putting the hull back on the trailer.. :whoo:
Here's a pic of the wheels..

100_3535.jpg

100_3538.jpg

And one of the trailer fenders..

100_3539.jpg

Have a great and warm week..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Great looking trailer work

Now, about all that green stuff in your yard.....

Mine was 20in deep in fluffy white stuff a week ago
Now its an uneven mix of dirty white and mud brown :(

Have a good week

Watermann

Thanks for dropping in Ron.. I like the galvanized trailer and wheels too..

I agree with the 10 ply tires being a over load..

Weep'n Willy, Thanks for the article.. Helps me out a lot..
I will be using the ST radial tires now..
Welcome to my dry dock..:D

Did you read this part?

"Industry standards dictate that ST tires are restricted to a speed of 65 mph unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the tire sidewall. If speeds from 66 to 75 mph are used, the tire cold inflation pressure can be increased by 10 psi without any increase in load. — Goodyear Tire Company"

"Like a passenger car tire, which has a speed rating, trailer tires are also designed with a certain speed rating. However, the trailer tire is used to sustain the higher loading weight and will generate higher heat than the tire going at the same speed on a car. Since heat build up will potentially degrade a tire's structure and cause either a blow out or separation, trailer tires are usually designed at lower speed rating. ? Kenda Tire Company"

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Yes I did read it.. The speed limit in Texas for all trailers is 55 mph.. I don't go over 65 mph..

dozerII

Admiral
Trailer is looking real good Decker, looking forward to seeing that nice shiney hull back on it:D