1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
I know it's not water, but it's oddly satisfying to see a boat back on wheels.
I had a little bit of trouble getting it back on the trailer by myself, but it sure looks better now.

The next best thing is wet wheels! :D

Your bow stop is odd, Decker. Not having a main beam or extended tongue to attach to is going to take some thinking.

I did get the wheels wet when it rained on them (LOL)
I am going to remove that bow stop and weld up a new one like watermann has in the above pic..

Decker83

Commander
Moved the boat onto the driveway and did some work on the bunks. Had to adjust the two center ones and tighten down all the bolts..
The outer bunks brackets were to tall so I had to cut 2" out of the middle and weld them back together.. I did this so I wouldn't have to make new square holes..
See the pics..

100_3553.JPG

100_3552.JPG

Worked on the transom and filled all the holes with JB weld.. Sanded and cleaned with cleaning vinegar and sprayed some self etch primer..

100_3551.JPG

I hope to find some plywood for the transom this week..

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ah man trailer work then onto the boat yo yo, same thing I'm doing. :D My new trailer has the same bow stop and winch stand, one of the few things that have made me happy about it, you can't go wrong with that type. :thumb:

What type of ply are you searching for?

Decker83

Commander
I want to use the marine grade ply. Need to find a lumber yard that sells it and open on the weekends..

Watermann

I want to use the marine grade ply. Need to find a lumber yard that sells it and open on the weekends..

My local lumber yard doesn't stock marine ply but they are more than happy to order it so be sure to ask if they can get it in for you.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am a very thrifty sort and I went to or called every yard near me and everyone of them had different prices. Call a few yards and go with the best price. I think I wound up getting my 5/8 board for 75 a piece. Most every other yard wanted somewhere between 95 and 110 a sheet. Numbers are approximate, it was a few years ago and I'm getting old. Lol

Decker83

Commander
Welcome to my thread Patfromny.. I did find one local yard today and a 3/4" 4x8 is $97.95 a sheet.. I will definitely be looking some more..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Heck guys, most of us are cheapskates or we would have new or newer boats. :D

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thrifty GA, thrifty. Cheap sounds so wrong. (However accurate it may be). I spend twice the time searching for an item than it takes to install. I have been looking for a 40 hp for 3 yrs. Very, very, super, thrifty

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
looking real good deck! I am following along , and hoping you post your floor flotatation and deck installation, as I am hoping for some advice as it is next on my list of things to do on a 1973 18ft ss

Decker83

Commander
I did find some plywood today for $77.00 a sheet.. Will have to drive about 40 miles one way to get it.. Not to bad..

The admiral keeps me real thrifty these days..:eek:

Crankbait Cowboy.. Hope I can help.. I don't have a floor to pattern from so will see what happens.. I going to use the pink or blue foam from HD
and fill in as many spaces as I can..

Thanks for dropping in the dry dock..

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not to shabby there Decker. That savings adds up when you're talking about 6 boards or so.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have a Lowes near you give them a call, I just ordered 2 sheets of 3/4" marine for $73 each and 2 sheets of 1/2" marine for $52 each. Will be here within 2 weeks, it might be much sooner but it depends how loaded the truck is when they send it out. Hate to wait but for that price I'll deal with it.

Decker83

Commander
Thanks for the info Frankencub.. I'll give them a call tomorrow..

Well I was able to get the 2 outer bunks on tonight..
If I can't get the transom wood this weekend I'll start on the floatation with the blue or pink board..
I can only get the 1" thick board here.. How many sheets would I need to get?

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
It's been a couple of weeks and I still don't have my plywood yet..:facepalm: My only employee has been out of work for 2 weeks leaving me and the Admiral short handed.. Hard to get away to go and get the plywood..

I did get a chance to make a new bow stop between all the rain here..
Used some 3" square tubing and some 1/4" plate and 2"x1/4" flat bar and 1 1/2"x1/4" flat bar.. I used some 3" poly roller bow stops.. Not sure if I like them..
May change them to rubber ones..
Any suggestion on which stops to use?
Here or some pics of the new bow stop..

100_3554.jpg

100_3555.jpg

100_3557.jpg

Hope everyone has a great week..:D

Last edited:

Watermann

I think that set up looks pretty legit from where I'm at, the only suggestion I have is you need another 3 to 4 feet more tongue, I think it's way too short.

Watermann

For instance... Chief and SS trailer tongue lengths.

IMAG1415.jpg

IMG_20150916_120120225.jpg

dozerII

Admiral
Looking really good Decker, really like those bow stops, no black marks on the hull and they last for ever.

Decker83

Commander
I think that set up looks pretty legit from where I'm at, the only suggestion I have is you need another 3 to 4 feet more tongue, I think it's way too short.
I looked at adding more 3" square tubing so the tongue would be longer, but I would have to cut the trailer up to much to make that happen..
I pulled the glasser donor boat with this trailer for 45 + miles and didn't have any trouble with it.. The hull is about as far forward as I want it to go.. I can still move
the hull back about another 6" if I need to or 3" forward.. From the bow of the boat to the hitch is about 3 1/2 feet.. Hope it all works good or I will be cutting up the trailer to add more tongue..:facepalm:

Looking really good Decker, really like those bow stops, no black marks on the hull and they last for ever.
Thanks for dropping by dozerll.. I have read the rollers work good, but I have never owned this type before.. Hope they hold up for me..

Last edited: