1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Got some work done tonight on the inside side of the transom.

IMG_2867.jpg

1st coat of epoxy resin

IMG_2868.jpg

2nd coat

IMG_2869.jpg

3rd coat with 10oz. cloth.

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

LOOKS good there Red !!! how many coats did you get on there?? John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'm hung up on an issue so I have some questions.

My transom skin (last pic in post #57) is uneven so I'm going to lay some glass in to level it out. I want to use some csm and some poly resin to build it out since it's just outter skin, cheaper then building out with epoxy plus I'm curous to try poly resin. Problem is, I don't want to wait until next week for it to be shipped/recieved so I was going to go up to car parts store and pick up some Bondo resin.

1. Will "Bondo" brand poly resin work?
If not, disregard the rest of the ???'s as they all directed at the use of Bondo.

2. Do I need to add wax or is wax already in Bondo for it to cure?

3. I always clean with acetone prior to but will I need to sand it after Bondo cures for the application of epoxy pb to glue transom in if it has wax in it?

4. Can I do several (2-3) layups while the Bondo resin is still wet?

5. Is there anything else that I'm missing or should know about Bondo?

Thanks guys.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm hung up on an issue so I have some questions.

My transom skin (last pic in post #57) is uneven so I'm going to lay some glass in to level it out. I want to use some csm and some poly resin to build it out since it's just outter skin, cheaper then building out with epoxy plus I'm curous to try poly resin. Problem is, I don't want to wait until next week for it to be shipped/recieved so I was going to go up to car parts store and pick up some Bondo resin.

1. Will "Bondo" brand poly resin work?
If not, disregard the rest of the ???'s as they all directed at the use of Bondo.

2. Do I need to add wax or is wax already in Bondo for it to cure?

3. I always clean with acetone prior to but will I need to sand it after Bondo cures for the application of epoxy pb to glue transom in if it has wax in it?

4. Can I do several (2-3) layups while the Bondo resin is still wet?

5. Is there anything else that I'm missing or should know about Bondo?

Thanks guys.

wish I could tell you what you need to hear but I have read that the car parts store stuff is not very good. The stuff that they sell at HD or Lowes I know people have used. I dont know if I would or not but who knows...If it were me, I would continue to use my epoxy for that and mine was kida pitted as well so all I did was everytime I had a batch of resin mixed up I would use the left overs to coat the tranny skin. Then I ground it up good and skim coated a layer of PB. The next day I sanded a bit and glued the transom in with PB applied with a trough. I mean, is it THAT bad that you need a layer of csm?

jcsercsa

Captain

wish I could tell you what you need to hear but I have read that the car parts store stuff is not very good. The stuff that they sell at HD or Lowes I know people have used. I dont know if I would or not but who knows...If it were me, I would continue to use my epoxy for that and mine was kida pitted as well so all I did was everytime I had a batch of resin mixed up I would use the left overs to coat the tranny skin. Then I ground it up good and skim coated a layer of PB. The next day I sanded a bit and glued the transom in with PB applied with a trough. I mean, is it THAT bad that you need a layer of csm?

Hay There BigRed, I would just use PL premium or 5800, get like 6 tubes and trowel it on there thick when your putting the transom in there !! Is there kind of a lip on your transom ?? or i guess a step ??

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi John I was actually trying to find something more like yours but found the Mate instead. When you get going on that one, this Ohio boy might need to take a road trip up to Mich. :)

which one the tron or the crownline, or the hustler ? going to do the crownline next , then If I still got the hustler !! But any time you want to run up here just let me know !!! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

which one the tron or the crownline, or the hustler ? going to do the crownline next , then If I still got the hustler !! But any time you want to run up here just let me know !!! John

I was referring to the Hustler. That's a really cool looking boat project!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Hay There BigRed, I would just use PL premium or 5800, get like 6 tubes and trowel it on there thick when your putting the transom in there !! Is there kind of a lip on your transom ?? or i guess a step ??
Hmm, fuel for thought. Thanks guys.

The stuff that my HD is the same stuff that Advance Auto or O'Reily's has which is the Bondo stuff.

It's not horrible as in I must have a layer of glass but I thought it would be nice to seal up all the holes that are back there with some csm. I'm still debating on a jack plate or direct mount. I figured since I was doing that, I could use it to fill up the 1/8" to 1/4" lip I have.
IMG_2860.jpg

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

I was referring to the Hustler. That's a really cool looking boat project!

yea she would really be cool in her orginal colors !! its going to be a whilie begin on that one !! unless I sell her frist !!! John

PS yep you might just be better off glassing that lip !!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Just documenting a note:

26" x 16" x 11.75" - 19 gallon fuel tank = 18 gallons fuel:1.5 quart/3 pints oil for a 50:1 mixture

Reelized

Cadet

Wow,this thread makes me miss my checkmate.I had a 77 17' Predictor with a 140 johnson 21p ssprop raised up and setback a couple inches.Almost the identical color to yours. 65 mph and she'd start to chinewalk (very uneasy feeling like something really bad is about to happen).Good luck with you resto it looks like your doing it right.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice price on the tank! Are you now thinking of doing a below deck like mine? I tell ya, it is a lot more work but in the end I know it will be worth it!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

nice price on the tank! Are you now thinking of doing a below deck like mine? I tell ya, it is a lot more work but in the end I know it will be worth it!

I thought about it but I have only one stringer (or deck support) that runs directly in the middle of the boat. I only have about 30" across for my deck and only 4"-6" height for a stringer. It's a pretty small area to squeeze a tank into.

I'm also going to build a back bench seat so the tank will be hidden.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Wow,this thread makes me miss my checkmate.I had a 77 17' Predictor with a 140 johnson 21p ssprop raised up and setback a couple inches.Almost the identical color to yours. 65 mph and she'd start to chinewalk (very uneasy feeling like something really bad is about to happen).Good luck with you resto it looks like your doing it right.

Thank you.

The Predictor is a nice boat. I've been contemplating a jack plate :D but it would make the boat too long to fit in the garage. :mad:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah but you know you want one.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I did some work yesterday and today and I'm not really sure if I made progress but here are some pics...

IMG_2904.jpg

I pre-cut two layers of csm

IMG_2905.jpg

Used poly resin...I do not like working with it compared to epoxy but had to try it. I spilled it inside the boat.

IMG_2907.jpg

Did a no no and sanded a hole into the skin...I wasn't really happy about that

IMG_2909.jpg

From the outside...bottom right hole

IMG_2906.jpg

I layed two layers of csm to patch a couple of holes using csm and poly resin and only coated a couple of other areas with resin.

IMG_2910.jpg

I did get a layer of glass all the way around the bottom edge of the transom. It just needs a quick sanding and it's ready to go in now as soon as I get the preparation done to the skin.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I got the transom glued in today, F I N A L L Y! Here are some pics for your viewing enjoyment.

IMG_2911.jpg

My extra large clamps

IMG_2915.jpg

Felt like I was about to perform some surgery

IMG_2917.jpg

Mixing pb

IMG_2918.jpg

Trowelled out

IMG_2920.jpg

Adding some more