Eagle = Bad

wishihad

Seaman
I purchased a new Eagle 502c df sonar/charter 4 months ago and it recently freaked out. Would turn it self on and off and continually cycle thru the brightness settings. I called Eagle (Lowrance) and thet said it was a known issue so I sent it back, paid extra 4 overnight, after 5 working days I called and they said the unit was fried" and replacements were back ordered. But, they should have it in and out to me within their 7-10 day turn around window. Yesterday was the 10th working day so I called today and they told me they were waiting on parts and it would most likely be :atleast another week".
I asked 4 a manager and they said one would call me back. Nothing yet.

Additionally, when I purchased the unit from Boaters World Marine the salesmen told me that the unit could be "upgraded to support THE nema 2000 protocol just like the comperable Lowrance unit". Turns out that this is not true, the eagle line does not support this. I guess I should have looked into it more, but i REALLY HATE BEING LIED TOO!!!

ARGH

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Eagle = Bad

What the salesman told you is not on Eagle, it is on BWM.

Very unusual experience with Eagle/Lowrance. First slam I have heard/read.

wishihad

Seaman

JB said:
What the salesman told you is not on Eagle, it is on BWM../quote]

Agreed. Also blame myself 4 not doing homework. :(

JB said:
Very unusual experience with Eagle/Lowrance. First slam I have heard/read.

Not trying to slam, just surprised and disappointed. I understand things break, but would expect the manufacture to be able to repair or replace the unit within a few days. At the minimum I would expect a firm date, not "maybe next week" after waiting 4 two weeks!!

Oh yeah still no call back.

wishihad

Seaman

Update:
Spoke with a manager today and she said she was going to make it right and ship my unit out tomorrow.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I work in the repair end of electronics, Laptops, desktops, servers, printers. Also many brands IBM, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshibia.

Today on new products there is a rush to get the new products to the market. Then a short time later problems start poping up. When they get the first units back they start trying to find out what failed. When they get many units back the rush to find a solution is top priority. Usually this takes some time. Yes they can do a cluge and cover up the problem. Sometimes it just a Firmware change, but sometimes it requires a circuit board change. After they find the solution then they need to redesign the board and retool the robot to install the new componets. By the time this is done they have a whole bunch of units waiting for the redesigned board. They will tell you the part is back ordered and that is true. Sometimes the rush to get the new unit repaired and the rush of unhappy customer the first fix they find is not the best and they will later find a better solution. They usually do not go back to the customers and tell them we have a better fix and recall the units. Instead they repair on failure.

Today this is happens more often as the market changes so fast that they do not test 6 month to a year before release.

So watch your repaired unit very close. Hope that it is just a firmware upgrade as this can be upgraded later with the best solution without sending the unit back in.

I would say most unit today will go thru several firmware upgrades in the first two years. It not a certain brand but the whole electronic industry in my opinion.

By the way which Eagle 502 model do you have. I see 2 models and all the ones I see also include GPS with an internal antenna. Sea Charter, Fishelite?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Also why would you prefer the NMEA 2000?

The way I see it that is a big disadvantage when compaired to NEMA 0183.

Do you have a Lowrance VHF or will your VHF talk to NMEA 2000?

Looks to me that if you have a Depthfinder, GPS, VHF, Radar and you want then to talk to each other then they all must be Lowrance.

You can not get a Lowrance depthfinder, Garmin GPS, Icom VHF and a Furuno Radar, all of which I think is are the best brands for that device and have them talk to each other.

wishihad

Seaman

Boatist said:
Also why would you prefer the NMEA 2000?

The way I see it that is a big disadvantage when compaired to NEMA 0183.

Do you have a Lowrance VHF or will your VHF talk to NMEA 2000?

Looks to me that if you have a Depthfinder, GPS, VHF, Radar and you want then to talk to each other then they all must be Lowrance.

You can not get a Lowrance depthfinder, Garmin GPS, Icom VHF and a Furuno Radar, all of which I think is are the best brands for that device and have them talk to each other.

The unit is a:
SeaCharter® 500C DF
GPS+WAAS Chartplotter
50/200 kHz sonar

I was looking for the NMEA2000 interface so I could interface it with my e-tec for full flow, temp, rpm etc.

http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/001247.html

tommays

Admiral

I have a unit with NEMA 2000 it keeps the NEMA 0183 and talks with my VHF just fine.

The NEMA 2000 is nice as you just plug in the fuel flow meter and other parts as you need them without being tied to a closed system like everyother brand of GPS

Tommays

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Tommays Very interesting as NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 are incompatable with each other.

What unit do you have that has both. Both would be great.

I wish all the major player could get together and come up with one standard or each build a cheap interface that will connect to the other. An interface that $150 is no a solution to me.

Yes the network no mater who's it is has some very nice features but I fear the main reason they are not getting together is to force you to buy all Lowrance or all Garmin. I hope I am wrong.
Lowrance Network hardware wise looks like a water proof thin wire eithernet Network. Software wise I do not think it is the same at all.

tommays

Admiral

I have a Lowarance 3500C the NEMA 2000 and NEMA 0183 are independent of each other on the unit

The NEMA 0183 retains it full functions to be able to output to and auto pilot and work with your VHF to broadcast your LAT/LON in a emergency

It also retains the abilty to plot someones position it they put out a distress single and your VHF has the abilty to recieve it

Tommays

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the same theme I have a Lowrance 335cdf with Navionics Gold Chart and there is a software fault whereby the save waypoint function does not work. I have been on to Lowrance since I bought the unit and they have promised a software update for it for ages and yet nothing has happened. The only upgrade was last February which didn't address the problem. It seem a fundemental function to quickly save a waypoint either at the vessels location or by placing the cursor on the "spot" should be a standard. The book says it works but reality shows it doesn't. Pressing the WPT button just gives you information about the topographical posiyion the cursor is in. As Boatist says there is such a rush to get a new unit on the market that is then quickly superceded that they don't fix the problems with the old one. I have been very dissapointed in Lowrance after this experience as I have used their gear since the early 80's and this is the first time its not worked as it says on the packet.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Tommays is right His unit has both NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183. It does not show the NMEA 0183 in the spec but if your download the manual it has it.

Not only is he right there but I checked 2 of lowrance's newest units and they also have both busses. The NMEA 0183 is version 2 so will work with most older and current units. You will not see the NMEA 0183 in the spec for the units but if you download the manual you will see the buss and the wireing breakout for transmit and receive.

wishihad

Seaman

AndyL said:
On the same theme I have a Lowrance 335cdf with Navionics Gold Chart and there is a software fault whereby the save waypoint function does not work. I have been on to Lowrance since I bought the unit and they have promised a software update for it for ages and yet nothing has happened. The only upgrade was last February which didn't address the problem. It seem a fundemental function to quickly save a waypoint either at the vessels location or by placing the cursor on the "spot" should be a standard. The book says it works but reality shows it doesn't. Pressing the WPT button just gives you information about the topographical posiyion the cursor is in. As Boatist says there is such a rush to get a new unit on the market that is then quickly superceded that they don't fix the problems with the old one. I have been very dissapointed in Lowrance after this experience as I have used their gear since the early 80's and this is the first time its not worked as it says on the packet.

I received my unit back and it works like a champ! Would suggest you get a hold of a manager.
g

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I run of the little Eagle 168's (as I recall). Get excellent bottom info to 52 mph. Works great. $99 can't beat a deal like that.

Mark

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice

wishihad said:
I purchased a new Eagle 502c df sonar/charter 4 months ago and it recently freaked out. Would turn it self on and off and continually cycle thru the brightness settings. I called Eagle (Lowrance) and thet said it was a known issue so I sent it back, paid extra 4 overnight, after 5 working days I called and they said the unit was fried" and replacements were back ordered. But, they should have it in and out to me within their 7-10 day turn around window. Yesterday was the 10th working day so I called today and they told me they were waiting on parts and it would most likely be :atleast another week".
I asked 4 a manager and they said one would call me back. Nothing yet.

Additionally, when I purchased the unit from Boaters World Marine the salesmen told me that the unit could be "upgraded to support THE nema 2000 protocol just like the comperable Lowrance unit". Turns out that this is not true, the eagle line does not support this. I guess I should have looked into it more, but i REALLY HATE BEING LIED TOO!!!

ARGH

I had a Eagle Fishmark 320 and the exact same thing happened. It was just over a year old and they said it would cost almost as much to fix as it would to buy another one, so I was S.O.L.
I heard Santa's bringing me a Lowrance X102C for Christmas. Looking forward to the Color and hopefully this one holds up. I wish I'd of talked to a Manager before I ditched this one.