1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Well, I wanted to glass the transom in really bad tonight with 1708 but I didn't get to it. :( Instead, I removed the last bit of bad core in the stern of the boat. I want to be able to lay the 1708 as far as I want without having to trim around an unfinished work area.

Well, the removal went fairly good until I started poking around the drain hole. Lets just say, more wood which means more removal! I call it my mini transom.

IMG_2944.jpg

Side profile

IMG_2945.jpg

Mini transom wood

IMG_2946.jpg

Looking back at the skin

IMG_2948.jpg

Area cleaned up

I dont know how concerned youare with perfection but if you want the layers of 1708 to go really well, grind the edge of the tabbing you just applied until it blends completely with the transom itself. I dont remember if you are using FG tape or not, but the tapes downfall is the perimeter stitching that makes the edges thicker than the glass itself. When you put 1708 over a high ridge like that you will get bubbles about 1/2" around the ridge. 1/4 above 1/4 below. No big deal though really but I wish I wouldve done more of grinding surfaces smooth in the transitions on mine. I shoulve used the grinder a lot more for prep between layers but it just makes so much more mess than the sander.

Oh and about your knees, I cant imagine you wanting a larger motor:eek: That thing would be scary as hell!

chrishayes

whats going on man? You better be working on your boat this weekend! Havent seen anything out of you in awhile...whats the deal?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

whats going on man? You better be working on your boat this weekend! Havent seen anything out of you in awhile...whats the deal?

Sorry, we were out on the river this weekend playing. I'm going to get some progress made this week and hopefully finish up the transom.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I felt so bad for not working on the boat this weekend that I went ahead and glued in the last of the rear core replacement. Then I fiberglassed the replacements for the horizontal transom brace and the drain plug transom.

chrishayes

thats it? Really, come on man, a full three day weekend and you waste it having fun? You my friend are a disapointment! Hope you were yuking it up as I was sitting in front of a fan with my 30lb sweat soaked t shirt on under my tyvek suit just trying not to pass out. You should be ashamed:D

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

thats it? Really, come on man, a full three day weekend and you waste it having fun? You my friend are a disapointment! Hope you were yuking it up as I was sitting in front of a fan with my 30lb sweat soaked t shirt on under my tyvek suit just trying not to pass out. You should be ashamed:D

lol...if it makes you feel any better, it rained Sunday afternoon into Monday.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

As I mentioned earlier, I replaced that last of the core in the back of the boat. Then I fiberglassed the inside part of the wood that butts up to the outer skin where the drain plug is and the bottom edge. After sanding, I glued it in using epoxy pb then used a carriage bolt to draw it in tight until it set up. I used the excess to fill in the gaps and filleted the corners but it needs sanded and additional filler added. The next batch will contain some slivers of glass that I cut up for added strength. After this, I should be able to sand and finish up the glassing of the transom.

IMG_3011.jpg

chrishayes

As I mentioned earlier, I replaced that last of the core in the back of the boat. Then I fiberglassed the inside part of the wood that butts up to the outer skin where the drain plug is and the bottom edge. After sanding, I glued it in using epoxy pb then used a carriage bolt to draw it in tight until it set up. I used the excess to fill in the gaps and filleted the corners but it needs sanded and additional filler added. The next batch will contain some slivers of glass that I cut up for added strength. After this, I should be able to sand and finish up the glassing of the transom.

IMG_3011.jpg

That poor piece of ply looks lost in all that PB! Should be an easy glass job though. Nice work on the fillet!

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking real good so far. I am learning a whole lot from watching a bunch of you guys.;)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Bigred!

Cool boat man,

The concrete in the transom was some crazy stuff...

The new transom looks like it could hold a freight train. Great work!

That boat is gonna fly! Especially without the liquid rock that was in the transom before! :D

Have a great weekend!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bigred!

Cool boat man,

The concrete in the transom was some crazy stuff...

The new transom looks like it could hold a freight train. Great work!

That boat is gonna fly! Especially without the liquid rock that was in the transom before! :D

Have a great weekend!

Thank you.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pb epoxy is used for filling in around the wood where the cuts are not the tightest? I am just wondering when I replace my transom that is what I should use around the perimeter to make it full?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

The pb epoxy is used for filling in around the wood where the cuts are not the tightest? I am just wondering when I replace my transom that is what I should use around the perimeter to make it full?

I'm using epoxy pb for both the filling the gaps and for fillets (rounding of the edges) so the thicker fiberglass will lay smoother.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, I haven't updated the project so here goes. Last week, I sanded down the first batch of filling around the drain tube area. Then I mixed up some more pb with some homemade chopped up glass and put a second coat on to fill out some more.

IMG_3012.jpg

Afterwards, I sanded it all smooth in preparation for the 1708.

IMG_3069.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Then today, I broke into the US Composites epoxy since I'm about out of my System Three. The jury is still out on whether I like or dislike the US Composites stuff. Seems a lot runnier and less tacky. Anyways, I put my first layer of 1708 on today and I felt my wallet empty every time I went back to get more epoxy.
cuss.gif
That stuff drinks it up.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I was having a really bad week. It started last Friday when I dropped my jet ski off to get an oil change. I told them I was going to pick it up on Friday. Finally picked it up and took it to the lake and it ran like crap. The boost for the supercharger dropped really low and sounded like either somthing sucking or blowing.

After doing some glassing on the Mate, I popped off the seats and removed the top so I could see the back half of the motor and someone forgot to put the tighten the clamp down on the hose that leaves the supercharger.
eusa_naughty.gif
Last time it ever goes back unless it truly has to!

The short of it all is I am in a much better mood and my jet ski sounds way better now in the driveway then it did last week and I've got my motivation back. I just need to take it out and run it to make sure it's fixed.

nudie.gif
party.gif

chrishayes

boy you got yourself some emoticons dont ya??

Glad to see you back on it! I tried to warn you about the 1708 sinkhole...sucks to hear about your jetflea. Just one of MANY reasons I do my own everything.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I sanded the 1708 this morning with my disk sander and feathered the edges with my finish sander before the rain.
IMG_3075.jpg

Then I pushed back into the garage for layer #2.
IMG_3078.jpg

These were full yesterday when I started and here is what I went through in two day for two layers of 1708 on the transom.
IMG_3077.jpg

Two thumbs up from the daughter makes it all worth while!
IMG_3079.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow Big Red
you're doing a bang up job on the Checkmate, :) sweet boats, and yours will be solid as a battleship when you're done

Cute daughter! kids make it all worth while! especially doing it right so you know it's safe for your family, for a long time........SOLID :cool:

sweet little ski boat, JAMES BOND style!

Im suscribing!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if you have a messy garage packed with junk, get in on the Who has the most "stuff" in your garage photo contest!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=353930
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PROJECT JEZABEL turbo restore project 2 week deadline!