1973 16' SS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 16' SS build

Check any 99 cent stores...Dollar Tree etc... I found them for 99 cents 2.5" dia. and 5' long..

:( I tried and every one of my local stores and they are out of stock. They where not planning on getting any in either. I did however get 4 sheets of 2" and 4 sheets of 1" blue insulation foam left over from a deconstruction project from work. We took apart a section that was a freezer in the building that we moved to in July. I will get a few noodles also to fit closer to the sides. I just want it tight with no squeaks.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll use PL Premium to glue all the foam together. Then some dabs here and there to the ribs to keep the whole thing from moving. 1 tube should do the trick.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had to run and get some parts. Spring is going to take forever to get here.

It was 68 degrees and sunny 2 days before?!

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did a small amount of work today. Made a trip to get some jigsaw blades and some other items. I removed the last section of the original floor and cleaned up some braces. Will need some nice weather to get the inside washed out and to check for leaks.

The motor was replaced at some point and a piece of plywood was used to mount the controls. I used that as a template a white cutting board. I still need to sand the edges or use a router.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like that cutting board idea... I'll have to see how that would look on mine... :)

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Work on the SS has come to a stand still. I have had a crazy life in the last 6 weeks. 1st week of November I was rear ended on the Freeway and that caused about $2K in damage to my vehicle. I turned around and sold it for $2K and got and insurance check. With that I went out and picked up a 2001 Wrangler Sport.

All was good for a couple weeks then on Thursday, the day after my birthday I was working on some shelving at work and fell from 5-6 feet on to concrete. Lucky me my head stopped my fall. I don't know how it happened, all I remember was laying on the ground. I consider myself very lucky. No broken bones, no bleeding, no spinal injury. I had a CT scan. x-rays and MRI and everything came back clear. I have limited movement and have a lot of muscle pain but it could have been alot worse.

I will be away from the boat and the forum for a little to clear my head up and get back to 100% but I will still be ready for spring!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

May need to change your ID on the site. I feel for you as I have had the personell feeling dumps the last few months First shut the Van door on my finger while checking the boat trailer lights. That was a quick amputation of the end of my ring finger, Haveing had two knee total replacments caused a hospital overnight stay and a lot of infection stuff and a bill of over 18k for a (gee just sew the damn thing shut and send me home). Three weeks later fell over a short fence in the Dog Kennel and broke a rib so I feel for you. Things slow down as injuries occur. I have only the excuse that I'm getting older 73 this year but there is no cure for stupid. As I now know. Good luck and get well.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello again everyone. Sorry I took a break from the forum. It has been a very long winter here. I have done some more work on the SS. I got a nice size gift card from Cabelas so I picked up a Hummingbird 570 DI and a speed wheel. It has been either raining or snowing for the last 7 months so I installed all the cables for that. On the nicer days I was able to paint most of the inside that is exposed when the floor and consoles are installed.

Today I was able to get some ply for the floor. In November I got a Jeep Wrangler and have not had a way to transport the ply until now. I was able to get two sections cut out and fitted.

When I have some daylight I will get some pictures to settle the natives. A couple more long nights I will be back on the water.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welcome back LOS, missed ya. Now where are the pics??????

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now where are the pics??????

Here is a before of and old Johnson that I may or may not use. This is one of the motors that I learned how to run a boat, we had it on a 12' Alumacraft. I can still see my grandfather sitting up front with his cigar telling me to slow down.

Here is an after with some elbow grease.

Back in the fall the motor would crank slow so I replaced some of the wiring. My brother works a stereo shop and got me some really nice cable and new lugs. Its nice because it fit in the orginal grommet. I also added the braid to keep it all in order. I found that from a buddy that does computer modding.

Since I did not want vinyl and the glue is a PITA I used some automotive trunk paint. Used about 4 cans and it covered all of the glue.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the 1st cut floor sections. Still more work but it is fun and the rewards of being out on the water with my family are worth it. I used some stone paint to cover some rough spots on the bow, the pictures make it look strange. The gray is more trunk paint.

I will have the other two sections cut this week then epoxy and Durabac. Just found out Easter Sunday that we have another little one on the way, due December 27. All the more reason to get this thing done and back on the water.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome back and congrats! Nice to see some progress on that SS. I'm liking that spray in the side storage area. Leaning toward the spray in bed liner. I hate to hear things rattling around. On my SS I lined the inside of the bow with marine carpet from Lowe's and its holding up well. Your deck boards seeem to fit awesome. Keep up the good work.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like some great work on that deck, the fit looks very good.:)

Congrats on the new kid on the way, they sure make life feel more complete.:D

Are you gonna keep the avocado green?:)

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Im kinda diggin the 70's green :D. Congrats on the news BTW.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wife calls it the Guac yacht and yes the green is staying. # 2 should be a trip, it's a good time for me since I have a few friends that are due around the same time.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wife calls it the Guac yacht and yes the green is staying. # 2 should be a trip, it's a good time for me since I have a few friends that are due around the same time.

Congrats sir on the little one news!!! Sure you and yours are excited for that.

That boat is looking good!

We are also expecting in the Chuckn family, september for us. Will be 3 little ones and the wife and I, glad I moved to the 18 footer now! :)

We should still get together sometime this summer on the river or Lk minnetonka. Would be good to get some fishing in or just plain boating around. Could do your boat or mine (seeing as I get the prop seals replaced...leaking :( )

Take care!

ChuckNDiscs

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finished cutting out the last two sections of floor. I had a helper take some pictures for me. He is turning 5 soon and he had to be held up but he did a good job taking pictures.

Still need to pressure wash, Gluvit, and seal the floor. Then I can start riveting it all back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.