Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 16' SS build

Oh wow, a boat that is actually on the water, cool!:D

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dragged myself out again today and saw fish all over on the lake that I was on. Lots of bluegill and a few small Northerns (hammer handles). Nothing on the end of my line :(

The water was crystal clear and a light wind. I am going to bring it to a mechanic to get some if the bugs worked out on the Spirit, I have had it running but not contestant.

This is going to be a long winter this year knowing that I have a boat waiting to be used in the spring.

Crazyman1225

Seaman

Great looking rig. My 74 Holiday sort of has the same green color on it. It's starting to grow on me and I am liking it more and more, although the wife says the color has to go. I have to get started with my resto on the 73 SS 18 footer. I just wish that I didn't have as much to do on it, and was as lucky as you were on getting her in as good as shape as you did yours.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I dragged myself out again today and saw fish all over on the lake that I was on. Lots of bluegill and a few small Northerns (hammer handles). Nothing on the end of my line :(

The water was crystal clear and a light wind. I am going to bring it to a mechanic to get some if the bugs worked out on the Spirit, I have had it running but not contestant.

This is going to be a long winter this year knowing that I have a boat waiting to be used in the spring.

Sounds like a good day on the water to me...what were you casting for the Pike? I've had good luck this fall with red/white daredevils, but nothing over 30".

I felt the same way about the winter last year, since I bought my SS last November. This winter I'm glad to have some time off the wate so I can finish my restoration.:)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhhh, Avacodo. Cool old retro color. My wife hates it, my bro hates it, my buddy hates it. The previous owner of mine must not have liked it either, he painted the boat beige. I can still see bits and pieces of the Avacado peeking through.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kinda quite on the home front so I went and worked on the SS for an hour (9:30-10:25) :eek: and this is where I am at. Anyone that is replacing a floor I used a uni-bit and a good drill on the rivets.

I will have to bust out the shop vac and get all the crap out. I am happy that I have a good template so far to cut out the new floor. They is a lot of sand and sediment under the first piece. I had a small leak but I guess that it is common on these. I am going to let it dry out before I use the left over floor to make the new one. Another plus is that the bow seats all came out in one piece too!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like good progress to me man, well done!:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good usable template pieces are worth their weight in gold. You're way ahead of the game just because of that.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got out the shop vac and took care of the rivets heads and all the dust and crap. I did have a leak on the keel and it caused a rust spot on the trailer.

I sucked mot of the water out and the resin that was used to seal all the pieces was dried out and crumbling. I have some JB waterweld, should I use that or Gulvit?

Looking at the panels I will go up 36" along the seams. Still have to do some scrubbing. Time for some Simple Green!

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I had a busy afternoon. :D I took out the consoles as a unit and it made it easy. I was worried that it was going to be harder.

Wa hoo templates!! I will save them for future use if any one needs them.

This was an interesting repair. There was a hole/panel that was held on with metal strap. You can see the dark spots that where left behind.

Most of the styrofoam was intacked but some mice made a home in it and most was really water logged. I was surprised at how heavy they where. I have some panels left over from some deconstruction at work. I would use noodles but don't know how many I would need. (EZ??)

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also pulled out the nasty vinyl that was in the gunwales. I have some extra auto trunk paint that should cover up the glue. I am going to use that on the bow also around the storage area.

I need a break, still need to remove the rear panel yet. Hopefully that is enough pictures for you guys!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work on the teardown, I was doing the same thing on my 16' SS this time one year ago. It gets more rewarding once it starts going back together again.:)

Those templates will be a real convenience for you as you proceed. Good luck with the project!

mj05

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coming along! Paparoof might have to start looking in his rear view mirror! hahaha! you guys do such a great job!

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am replacing some or the rivets on the stringer and I just realized that the rivets that I have might be steel. Will they be a problem or should I go and get aluminum ones? I am at the point where have access to them so they are getting replaced.

I also found some noodles for $1.99 a piece, if I buy 50+ I get 10% off too.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am replacing some or the rivets on the stringer and I just realized that the rivets that I have might be steel. Will they be a problem or should I go and get aluminum ones? I am at the point where have access to them so they are getting replaced.

I'm no expert but using two different types of metal together then add water not a good idea, as the metals will react with each other causing the softer of the two to corrode :( over time that is...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, for sure you'll want the aluminum ones.

Noodles! (though I don't think they are stocking them at the moment)

http://www.dollartree.com/new-arriv...am-water-noodles/215c334c334p308025/index.pro

:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.