1973 16' SS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: 1973 16' SS build

Great Job LOS. I was not so lucky with my templates but you have it going on! Do not use the steel rivets as they will rust and you don't want dissimilar metals anyway. Keep up the process and you will be splashing this spring.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They might be aluminum but I don't know for sure. I am going to pick some up this morning.

I called every Dollar store in my area hoping to find some noodles but everyone was out of stock. I found some at a recreation store that sells billiard tables and pools. I have some panels that I might use also around the bildge area.

I will hopefully get some lumber this weekend. :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you get desperate you can always order your noodles from the place I got mine from. Great service, horrible price. Still probably cheaper than driving all over creating picking up a couple at a time (at least that's how I looked at it while trying to buy them in the off-season) http://www.flaghouse.com/Water-Noodle-Set-Set-of-24-item-8052

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe you already said how thick your new deck will be and I missed it...
How thick will it be?
Most hardware stores have pop-rivets that are long enough for 1/2 inch
but they will not be long enough for 3/4 inch deck...Found the longer rivets
at Fastenal...in Hudson Wisconsin

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you get desperate you can always order your noodles from the place I got mine from. Great service, horrible price. Still probably cheaper than driving all over creating picking up a couple at a time (at least that's how I looked at it while trying to buy them in the off-season) http://www.flaghouse.com/Water-Noodle-Set-Set-of-24-item-8052

The place I found has 100+ on hand and it's a mile from home. I will pick them up on Friday.

Most likely I will use 1/2" for the decking and double up around the seat areas. I have not decided if I want pedestal seats or fold down yet. That way the reinforcement is there if needed. I plan on taking friends out cruising more. I still plan on fishing alot too but it will just be me and my brother.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you already said how thick your new deck will be and I missed it...
How thick will it be?
Most hardware stores have pop-rivets that are long enough for 1/2 inch
but they will not be long enough for 3/4 inch deck...Found the longer rivets
at Fastenal...in Hudson Wisconsin

I do want to find some with the large head for the side panels. I will have to check them out.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next issue, I don't have the space to epoxy the floor if I used exterior ply. Would marine grade work since it will not be stored outside when not in use? I hope to get a couple good years out of the boat before the floor needs replacement. I know that most of you sealed everything and there are many answers to my question.

I am checking out carpet options for the bow and buying the foam this weekend.

It's going to be upper 60's today and I am kicking myself for tearing it apart and not being on the water. Minnesota should be snow and ice in November.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well man, here is how I figure it...

As long as you have it all tore out, and as long as you are having to cut up plywood anyway, and as long as you have to rebuild the whole deal back to use it again, you might as well take a couple of extra steps to seal it up right. Then it will last ya forever!

Laying down a new deck only to tear it out in a few years seems like a waste of time and money, I hate to see ya do it ya know.

If space is an issue maybe you could borrow a buddies garage or something for a weekend or two?

Either way, have fun!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Yes sir, marine ply will last longer without sealing, BUT I would have to agree with Jas. I mean c'mon, you are bound to know someone you could beg/borrow a space for a few days. If nothing else, set up a tarp or tent and do it outside. It will take whole lot longer for the sealer to cure, but it will cure. Marine ply is what...45-85 $$ a sheet? Do you really want to tear it down in a couple years?
You wouldn't be happy if you had to do a new floor in the middle of summer.:mad:

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If nothing else, set up a tarp or tent and do it outside.

Wish I could but winter sucks in Minnesota. I am going to try to find a space that us heated an has the room to move around.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Good Man there LDS. You will be glad you did. I realize its a PITA but do it once, do it right.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright I am at the point where I am going to buy wood and I remember seeing that there are different grades of exterior plywood. Somewhere on the site there was a problem with the way the wood was treated and having a reaction with the aluminum. I have been searching all night to find the topic but there are too many.

Got a jig saw this morning so I will hopefully get everything cut out this weekend.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You just don't want anything pressure treated. The Arauco ply from Lowes is pretty nice. The exterior ply I got from Home Depot was pretty much crap. Maybe check a REAL lumber yard in your area and get the nicest non-treated exterior ply they have.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the Arauco.. it is high quality stuff and very reasonable. Haven't seen it at Home Depot lately, Lowe's carries it. In fact, I'll be picking a sheet each of 1/2" and 3/4" (23/32 and 15/32") tomorrow for hatches and bulkheads... Seal it with epoxy or spar vanish will work ..I hope.. that's what i used on the deck.. epoxy on the splashwell.. You can bring that boat to AZ and work outside all winter long!!

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

The place I found has 100+ on hand and it's a mile from home. I will pick them up on Friday.

What store did you find the noodles at?? Looking for some myself.. almost bought some foam pipe insulation instead but noodles would be better....

Thanks,

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What store did you find the noodles at?? Looking for some myself.. almost bought some foam pipe insulation instead but noodles would be better....

Thanks,

I was just looking at some last night in my basement that I got last year. You could cheat and file for a energy savings tax refund. The place that has the noodles used to be called Watsons but they are a different company now.

You can bring that boat to AZ and work outside all winter long!!

Sure rub it in!! Woke up to 6" of wet sloppy snow. There are accidents all over and some trees are down and power outages

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also found some noodles for $1.99 a piece, if I buy 50+ I get 10% off too.

Check any 99 cent stores...Dollar Tree etc... I found them for 99 cents 2.5" dia. and 5' long..

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fit 72 pool noodles in my 18'. I'd start with about 50 if I was you.

Hey EZ.... did you pack the noodles in tight or did you lay them in kinda loose? I don't think these things will squeak, but I'd hate to get her done and have a squeaky boat!!

Thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey EZ.... did you pack the noodles in tight or did you lay them in kinda loose? I don't think these things will squeak, but I'd hate to get her done and have a squeaky boat!!

Thanks,

Relatively tight. No squeaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.