1972 Marinette 32 sedan Fly bridge removal and restoration of boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Wow, not to offend, but that's a big 'ole girl............ Good luck

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice..........that pic truly depicts the massive size of that tin.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need spotters just to back her in

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes there were spotters on both sides. She is tight!! I love the "Tin" I have worked on bigger but never of my own

Hender

Cadet
Permission to watch the "big" show that this rebuild will entail? Great looking project!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She is home!! She is huge!! She is grungy grimy filthy!! First order of business is to clean her out and up!! I will spend some time with her and decide how I am going to proceed

Weldzilla

Good lord! :eek: That is a mountain of TIN... makes that dually look like a Toyota Hi Lux. :faint2:

She's beautiful even though she's a bit filthy... :D

64osby

Admiral
jaws-were-going-to-need-a-bigger-boat.jpg?format=750w.jpeg

You're going to need a bigger garage!

Last edited:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Awesome boat, huge project, following this one, I see those Marinettes up for sale all the time and constantly drool over em.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The neighbor's wife is pissed. I sold him a StarCraft 2 years ago that he has never put in the water and she hates me for that!! Got to tell you. I love it...

WZ

Well since the neighbor is already ticked my as well make it a party! :mad2::very_drunk::encouragement:

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, I told the wife when we get the boat cleaned out and up we might throw a small dinner party on the boat just because.
The neighbor's wife inquired as to how long she would have to look at it. I told her at max just a little over 3 years. When I retire we are moving to our beach place full time. I will tell all of you that there is no way its going to take 3 years to get her in the water!!

WZ

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Shoulda told her until she moves. LOL But that isn't neighborly.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much time to work on the boat this afternoon when I got home from work but, I got a little done.

I could see the galvanic corrosion all around the brackets holding on the swim platform. So....
It had to go!!. I got out a flap disc for the grinder to clean the bulk of the mess off then finished with a wire wheel.
Take a look at some serious corrosion here. it had actually eaten a hole all the way through the stern.

I will cut out about a 3 foot x 11 foot section of stern and weld in new metal.
With my other boat I used 5052 aluminum for my bracket on the back of the boat. On this boat I have to use 5086
as this is the formulation Aluminum Cruisers Inc. used when building Marinettes as 5086 is more resistant to salt water.
Were I to use a different grade of aluminum I would run into the issue of dissimilar metals causing galvanic corrosion due to the different alloys in these 2 types of aluminum. 5086 is a lot more expensive than 5052 (Dammit) But, that's ok.. The wife pulled a big box of charts and a few other items from the cabin today as the clean up is beginning!!

WZ

Last edited:

Watermann

Good start on the Tin-tanic. Just a thought. You could also rivet a patch over the area of corrosion with a strip of AL back buttered with 5200 and it wouldn't be really noticeable when a platform goes back on. Cutting and welding sounds pretty tough to me, especially with that amount of welding, it would warp pretty badly.

I thought my Chief was pretty salty but you got your work cut out for you with the massive size. Do you plan on painting the hull?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could also use 5083 vs the 5086. then again, many times, they are interchangeable.

make sure to use isolators when bolting anything stainless to the hull.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There will be NO bolting there will be no 5200 near these holes. The will be old aluminum cut out and new aluminum welded in with 5356 wire.
The new platform will be all aluminum. There will be a great many changes go on here getting rid of many of the dissimilar metals! I have about 22lbs. of Aluminum
wire on hand from .023 to .035. and its going to get used liberally from one end of this boat to the other.

WZ

dozerII

Admiral
Wow this is gong to be a massive project in more ways than one, looking forward to watching it all come together.

Watermann

There will be NO bolting there will be no 5200 near these holes. The will be old aluminum cut out and new aluminum welded in with 5356 wire.
WZ

Sorry I forgot your iboats name :lol: NO reevets, NO bolts, NO 5200 got it :thumb:

​So if that's the case I'm thinking you'll go bigger when you see the inside of that transom skin since Marine Tex pit filling is out of the question too. With those holes allowing years of sea water inside I would bet the inner side of the transom skin is way worse. You may need to replace the whole skin.

I'm guessing the seams are welded and not riveted?

Status
Not open for further replies.