1972 Marinette 32 sedan Fly bridge removal and restoration of boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Talk about some monster tin! Interesting paint job on her, sorta haze gray and underway theme going almost like WWII ship camo. So do you plan on painting the hull as well?

fetch

Willyclay

Captain
a HARD plastic spacer between the metal components (e.g., the stainless stanchions and the aluminum deck). This is how my flybridge was bolted on and it is corrosion-free.

My 40 year old Lone Star had severe corrosion problems EXCEPT where the SS fasteners had nylon/plastic spacers protecting the aluminum. Good luck!

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, soon it will be here at my place and I can get started!!

WZ

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My son and I are heading out in the morning to pull the flying bridge and get her road ready. It will probably wait another week for the move as I will have to get a trip permit for Washington State. I am looking forward to this project. This boat has no name, so I get to name it.
The now former owner is giving me an older Raytheon Radar unit that is capable of reading 48 miles. It pretty old school however and I was considering putting my newer Furuno 1622 on it instead. It has a Garmin GPS antenna on it already so I can just mount my 4208 right up to it. I have a nice older Lowrance X5 Dual Frequency fish finder. But first there is some aluminum to be cut out and replaced. I will share the whole process right here.

WZ

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Today was a busy day. We got the flying bridge off! That was a pain in the ass! My son came with me and helped out and that made the difference.

Its going to take a lot of work to clean that top up. That flying bridge won't be going back on. At least not that incarnation of it. My creative juices are flowing here. I see something much different up there. Stay tuned.

WZ

Attachments

• photo212821.jpg
    photo212821.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo212822.jpg
    photo212822.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo212823.jpg
    photo212823.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo212824.jpg
    photo212824.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 5
  • photo212825.jpg
    photo212825.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
WZ - Was it bolted or welded on? All you need is the permit to move her home. :thumb:

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A previous owner Fiber glassed it down. It was a pain in the ass to get loose. all the wood they lined it with on the inside was rotten. The next go round will be much different!!

WZ

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The FB is glass isn't it? Still glassing it to the cabin roof isn't that smart if the boat ever needed moving - Like now.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Flying bridge is fiberglass. I mightt keep the front section of the flying bridge. "The Dash" just for the sake of the controls but, the molded seat sections will be gone as will the stock hand rails. I like my safety rails higher than my knees. I guess the COE rule book has had its desired effect on me. When I am out in the ocean no one is getting tossed overboard cuz my hand rails are trip hazards. I have 3 years till retirement. I can see this project taking nearly that long. When I am done this Marinette will be like no other.

WZ

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Gotta love nasty surprises like that glassed on bridge. Hope the trip home with her was uneventful. Looking forward to the forward progress even if it takes a few seasons.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well Watermann it won't get home to my place till after the first of the year. I will go to its location and continue working on it and cleaning it up. I don't have a rig big enough to pull it at this time. I will though.

WZ

Today was a busy day. We got the flying bridge off! That was a pain in the ***! My son came with me and helped out and that made the difference.

Its going to take a lot of work to clean that top up. That flying bridge won't be going back on. At least not that incarnation of it. My creative juices are flowing here. I see something much different up there. Stay tuned.

WZ

My 32 is nothing like that. I have the sedan layout, which has an salon but a much smaller rear deck. The flybridge on mine is all aluminum and was bolted right on the roof which is itself aluminum. No fiberglass or wood at all. Best of luck on the refit!

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks hurricanedeckboat, that would be my luck, I get the oddball but. its coming along inspite of it

WZ

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I didn't work on it today (Still in Oregon) But I did do the title transfer and licensing for Washington State today...

WZ

pckeen

Commander
Wow. And I thought I was looking for big tin. Looks like an amazing project, and I'll be tagging along.

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She is home!! She is huge!! She is grungy grimy filthy!! First order of business is to clean her out and up!! I will spend some time with her and decide how I am going to proceed

Weldzilla

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The neighbor's wife is pissed. I sold him a StarCraft 2 years ago that he has never put in the water and she hates me for that!! Got to tell you. I love it...

WZ

Status
Not open for further replies.