1970's Aluminum Mckenzie Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970's 16 ft Aluminum Mackenzie Runabout Rebuild

Interior coming together - like it!:D

In the kit I linked you'll see two spacer rings. One goes inside, one outside, the o-ring placement is in the instructions (I don't remember where it goes off the top of my head) they should make the tube length close but it might still need some trimming.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Good to know how the kit works, thanks TDF. I had seen it before but wasn't quite sure how it worked.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interior coming together - like it!:D

In the kit I linked you'll see two spacer rings. One goes inside, one outside, the o-ring placement is in the instructions (I don't remember where it goes off the top of my head) they should make the tube length close but it might still need some trimming.

Thanks TDF. I think the kit is exactly what i need.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I need to place an order with iboats for the transom drain kit.

I also need transom grip handles. These would likely be used to secure the boat with trailer when on the road. And likely to connect a tow rope for a tube or skier. Is this the right product to go with? And likely means another 4 holes to drill through the core?

http://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Round-...42611783--session_id.685808360--view_id.39743

And while I am at it are these tubes good for the splashwell drain? Just not sure what I need to consider?

http://www.iboats.com/Drain-Tube/dm/*******.042611783--session_id.685808360--view_id.39188

TIA! :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Drain tube, yes but you'll need the flaring tool:
2563742c_5.jpg

Or make your own:
FlaringTool.jpg

Handles maybe, but not as a tow attachment for anything. For those, I'd prefer a stern eye or ski tow thru bolted:
3169169c_2.gif

seadoglineskitowringtransom_2.gif

They can be used as hold downs @ the trailer.

If you like the look of the handles, or think you need them, you can add them too. But it'd be more holes in the transom...But not sure what they'd be for

Won't there be deck cleats for tying off at the dock or wherever.....

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drain tube, yes but you'll need the flaring tool:
2563742c_5.jpg

Or make your own:
FlaringTool.jpg

Handles maybe, but not as a tow attachment for anything. For those, I'd prefer a stern eye or ski tow thru bolted:
3169169c_2.gif

seadoglineskitowringtransom_2.gif

They can be used as hold downs @ the trailer.

If you like the look of the handles, or think you need them, you can add them too. But it'd be more holes in the transom...But not sure what they'd be for

Won't there be deck cleats for tying off at the dock or wherever.....

Thanks JB for the flaring tool details. Cool! :)

Yes for dock cleats and not sure either.

Need to add tubes to my order and probably the U bolts too.

Have a good one!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to Illonois on business this week. Hopefully my iboats order will be delivered and ready to bring home.

Made some progress with the OB stand on the weekend.

Strong-20120923-00277_zps34d9fa24.jpg

Eventually the stand will be the proud supporter of this ...

Strong-20120923-00278_zps03e61f78.jpg

Have a good one! :)

BTW - I am considering buying and installing a power trim. I started a link here. If anyone has suggestions I'd be interested to know. It looks like I need something like the CMC PT-130 power trim/tilt with a transom adapter for clamp obs. Anyone have experience installing power trims on aluminum boats? Not sure if there's anything I need to worry about.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=580035

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think your motor has the "clamps" (I think that is the smaller obs that have the bolts your turn to squeeze against the transom). Being a 70, it appears that you have the through transom bolts..., and thus you won't need the adaptor, but I could be very wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

I do think a tilt and trim is a must (I can't imagine living without one). CMC would be a good choice... Its what I am going with on my aluminum boat project (I have an 85 hp Johnson)... Otherwise, you will have to find the OEM one off a donor motor or happen to find one for sale, and they are hard to find and pricey for the older models. Plus, you have to work your way through setting up the relays and possibly getting a new remote control that the has the tilt function. With the CMC you don't have to worry as much; it comes with the relays, instructions on how to set-up, etc... and you can use your existing remote and simply run the tilt switch somewhere up by your helm... You can get a tilt gauge as well with the CMC package, if you want one.

New, the CMCs can be a bit spendy, but I have seen several used ones for sale that seem to be in pretty decent shape.

Just my .02.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the transom knee brackets into place and marked the transom core where the holes will be drilled. Now I have all the holes marked except for the ob engine mounts.

Here are the new brackets. I think they're going to be real solid.

Innisfil-20120929-00283.jpg

I had some help Saturday and flipped LA boat. Here's her new resting place until she's moved into LA garage. Now I need to go to work and remove the fibreglass the PO installed and eventually install the new rivets ...

Innisfil-20120929-00287.jpg

Have a good one!

:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice looking knee braces, you'll be in good shape with those.

On the home made drain tube flaring tool, I made one of those but had a LOT of trouble finding a nylock nut that had a large enough bell on it to flare the tube. I did make it work, but the results were a little less than I had hoped for. I used the 3/4" bolt and really looked all over the place for a nut with the right shape but totally struck out. Here's the one I made, you can see how the bell on it isn't a good shape. Maybe you'll have better luck if you make one.

wDSC_6964.jpg

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks LL. Your example doesn't look too bad. Do you have a snap of the end result?

I brought home the transom drain tube kit and stern eye bolts. I am waiting for the drain tubes. Probably will get the transom together after LA boat is moved into the garage.

Ideally I'd like to get the fibreglass removed from the hull in the next couple of weeks. (the blue fibreglass can be seen in the above pic) I'm not sure what the PO was thinking. Probably was trying to seal leaky rivets?

Have a good one eh!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Here's one of them, as you can see, the end is barely flared, but enough to hold it solidly in place and sealed with 5200. I was afraid to crank on it too much for fear of splitting it.

wDSC_4756.jpg

Your PO probably thought he had the secret end-all to any leaks with the fiberglass coating, but just had a mess in the end.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job with the drain tubes LL. Travelled to Illonois again last week and brought 2 drain tubes back with me. I pretty much have everything in order for the transom. Just need to get LA boat moved into the garage.

Haven't had a bunch of time to work on LA boat last few weeks. I tried a bunch of different options to remove fibreglass without much success. The stuff comes off but it's slow going. I am gong to try the angle grinder next using an abrasive pad. Just have to be careful with the rivets.

Anyway here's the progress so far.

IMG-20121027-00318.jpg

Enjoy the rainy weekend eh!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Man, I don't envy the job you have ahead of you!!!:eek:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the angle grinder is definitely the way to go. I 've made some progress removing the fibreglass. Just need more time. Supposed to be nice this weekend so I am hoping to get at er.

Need to build a roller chassis for when LA boat is moved into LA garage. Shouldn't be too difficult. I've got a pretty good idea of what to build.

I am going to mount the ob onto the stand this weekend. Need an extra body or two to help lift. She's a heavy old girl.

The next two pictures are the rollers from the boat trailer. The trailer is cast aluminum and will be converted to bunks.

Any ideas what to do with the rollers? Have a good weekend eh!!

IMG-20121114-00323.jpg

IMG-20121114-00326.jpg

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put some time into stripping fibreglass. The angle grinder is definitely the way to go using an abrasive pad.

At least the majority is removed. I need to use a tool or something to go around the rivets. Not sure if there's a chemical or something that would do the job?

Anyway I should have the garage available this weekend. So I can start to think about a dolly.

From the stern

IMG-20121122-00331.jpg

Have a good one eh!

And happy Turkey day!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Those fiberglass knuckleheads will do anything for a laugh eh?!!!

"Hey! Let's put fiberglass on an aluminum boat eh!... should be fun for the next owner to remove!"... I'm almost certain it was the brothers Doug and Bob McKenzie!:p

Maybe try some CitrusStrip on the fiberglass, it removes paint and epoxies... maybe it will work on polyester resin too, I don't know. Apply it to the afflicted areas and let it set for 24 hrs. then test with a putty knife.

A Dremmel tool will work on what's left, but it'll be tedious if the stripper doesn't work.

You're going to need to do a leak test after you get all the caca-doodoo removed... I'm sure the fiberglass was on there to stop some badass leaks.

Boat's lookin' good J... you might make a silk purse out of a sows ear yet!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes Jig. I sure hope Bob and Doug had nothing to do with the construction of LA boat. Would make me nervous on the water. lol

Will take a look around to see what chems are available. I'd like to find airplane striper but I think that will be hard to find around here. We'll see ....

I have a Rockwell tool, much like a Dremmel. And yes it's tedious! But I thinking working on LA boat inside the garage should be ok.

Yep. I have 7 rivets marked and ready to be replaced. Hopefully I don't find any more. :(

Not sure about the silk purse. I'll be happy if I end up with a leather satchel. :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well a little movement (literally) with LA boat.

Got her tucked into LA garage. Not as much room as I'd like but I can make it work. Although I'm not sure how pleased the 'skipper' is going to be with LA boat taking up so much space in tight quarters.

IMG-20121128-00333.jpg

And got the OB moved onto it's stand as well. Happy with the stand the first mate and I constructed.

IMG-20121128-00334.jpg

Have a good one eh! :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yep, those are tight quarters! But all you have to do is remove all those unnecessary household items to the driveway. After all, garages are for boat projects, aren't they? I like the looks of that outboard, cool retro design, all it needs is a little touch up to bring her back!

Status
Not open for further replies.