1970's Aluminum Mckenzie Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970's 16 ft Aluminum Mackenzie Runabout Rebuild

Took the wire wheel for a spin today. This is where I ened up.

Innisfil-20120908-00251-1.jpg

Funny how such a small-ish piece can take so long. Probably have a good 4 hours into her maybe more.

Sanded JB weld. Wire wheel. Drill out snaps. Corner disk with angle grinder. Acetone. Apply JB weld to interior skin.

Getting ready for ZC primer. Also ZC primed transom brackets and cap pieces.

Maybe apply tremclad galvonized and zinc primer tomorrow. The last forecast I heard called for sun and clouds.

I've had LA boat covered with a tarp. None-the-less water has managed to seap in. Just curious, how does Gluvit stand up to water exposure?

TIA

Have a good one eh!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've had LA boat covered with a tarp. None-the-less water has managed to seap in. Just curious, how does Gluvit stand up to water exposure?

Cured Gluvit better be water resistant if were using it to 'seal' rivets & seams against water leaks :)

From Gluvit spec sheet:

• One coat 10 mils thick withstands 4000 lbs/sq.ft. of water pressure

Ought to cover our hulls pretty well......

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JB. Alot of moisture exposure to LA boat. When I ran my finger across Gluvit and moisture it seemed to not stick. i will have a closer look tomorrow. I will likely get the tarp off and LA boat dried out.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Uncured Gluvit? If there was any chance the hull wasn't well prepped to maximize adhesion, or the Gluvit wasn't cured, exposure to water might not be good.....

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been two weeks since Gluvit went down and hull well prepped. With tarp removed I will take a closer look tomorrow ...

jbcurt00

Staff member

When I ran my finger across Gluvit and moisture it seemed to not stick

I thought you meant the Gluvit didn't seem to be sticking, but you meant your finger wasn't sticking to the Gluvit that had gotten wet..........

You are correct in keeping it covered, if it causes condensation or rain to collect, uncover when you can. And get it dry. Stored bow raised as high up as trailer jack will go or higher, w/ drain plug removed. If you're not working on it during the week, or waiting for the transom work to be done, you might flip it over on the trailer..... Keeps water out & UV off the Gluvit....

Have a good rest of the weekend.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Water won't bother the cured Gluvit, but definitely keep the UV off it as much as you can. I'm not too surprised that prepping the splashwell has taken you 4 hours so far, it can be a slow process if you're thorough, which it looks like you are! You're coming along...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks LL and JB.

Pulled the tarp off this morning and had a better look in daylight. Nothing to worry about. Gluvit is fine. Perhaps some ZC primer had made its way to the floor. When I ran my finger along the hull bottom some ZC primer appeared. This is what I was seeing in the dark last night.

I had some time this morning and rolled on the TGZP and I think it turned out ok. The ZC primer seemed to soak it up. Not going to make much a difference in the end as most of the hull sides will be hidden.

Innisfil-20120909-00255.jpg

And this is LA boat in her new attire

Innisfil-20120909-00257.jpg

Did some more work on the splashwell. She's coming along. Not sure what to do with the splash well surface. I am leaning towards acetone, ZC primer, TGZP and topcoat. But I think it was the EZ Starcraft Jupiter thread where EZ used bed liner for the splashwell. Just not sure the best route to go.

Big week coming up. Hopefully everything goes well with the transom parts, etc.

Not sure if I should treat the interior transom skin. Probably makes sense.

Have a good one eh!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looking better all the time. Is that hockey stick going to be part of the final design? :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think the sherwood has a place in LA boat. It's been serving well as a wedge between the bottom of the transom and stringers.

Taking LA boat for the transom work this afternoon. Hopefully I will have pics later in the week.

Have a good one!

:)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think the sherwood has a place in LA boat. It's been serving well as a wedge between the bottom of the transom and stringers.

Taking LA boat for the transom work this afternoon. Hopefully I will have pics later in the week.

Have a good one!

Dropped by the shop where LA boat is having a new 1/8" aluminum skin installed. The weld actually looks pretty good. Cut-out to height will will be completed tomorrow.

Will post a picture of the new skin sometime soon ...

Have a good one eh!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dropped by the shop where LA boat is having a new 1/8" aluminum skin installed. The weld actually looks pretty good. Cut-out to height will will be completed tomorrow.

Will post a picture of the new skin sometime soon ...

Have a good one eh!

Here's LA boat with her new skin. Rather pleased with the job. We'll see how the pieces come together.

IMG-20120915-00260.jpg

In the meantime I need to figure out the bilge drain flange. The old flange was mated through the single skin. Now with two skins I need to prevent water from making it's way between the skins. Not sure what I should be looking for but would something like this work?

http://www.iboats.com/Perko-Garboar...42611783--session_id.141531789--view_id.21910

TIA!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's LA boat with her new skin. Rather pleased with the job. We'll see how the pieces come together.

IMG-20120915-00260.jpg

In the meantime I need to figure out the bilge drain flange. The old flange was mated through the single skin. Now with two skins I need to prevent water from making it's way between the skins. Not sure what I should be looking for but would something like this work?

http://www.iboats.com/Perko-Garboar...42611783--session_id.141531789--view_id.21910

TIA!

I should mention the old drain flange installed on either side of the transom skin. The flange was not installed through the wood transom core. The total thickness of both skins is now roughly 3/16".

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your resto is coming along great and that boat is looking real good! You'll make a silk purse of of a sows ear yet.

I have this bilge drain on my 17' Tracker:
http://www.basspro.com/TH-Marine-Drain-Plug/product/101654/

I really like it because the plug is easy to take out to check for water in the boat, but the tether keeps it in the hole and you never have to worry about losing it or where the heck you put it.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your resto is coming along great and that boat is looking real good! You'll make a silk purse of of a sows ear yet.

I have this bilge drain on my 17' Tracker:
http://www.basspro.com/TH-Marine-Drain-Plug/product/101654/

I really like it because the plug is easy to take out to check for water in the boat, but the tether keeps it in the hole and you never have to worry about losing it or where the heck you put it.

Thanks Jig. How far does the tube extend beyond the flange? I have roughly 3/16" of skins to pass through.

Got the transom core into position with the splashwell. The first mate and I went to work and notched a small piece from each gunwale. This made enough room for the splashwell to fit into position. Since the core is 1 1/2" thick with epoxy the splashwell position changed making it difficult to fit the splashwell into position. Anyway I can now mark the holes that are going to bored larger used to fasten the SS through the transom. I think things are on the right track.

Innisfil-20120915-00262.jpg

Here's a shot of the transom from the interior.

Innisfil-20120915-00263.jpg

Should be able to spend more time with LA boat tomorrow. Maybe cut out the sides from the templates we saved.

Have a good one eh!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The new outer skin looks fantastic, you're lucky to have a fabricator nearby. For the drain, I'd prefer something like this:

draintube.jpg

http://www.iboats.com/Drain-Tube/dm/*******.869925560--session_id.099012466--view_id.39188

And this:

drainplug.jpg

http://www.iboats.com/Brass-Snap-Drain-Plug-1-Brass-Seasense/dm/*******.869925560--session_id.099012466--view_id.215259

Although I didn't have to add mine, it was already there, I prefer this kind of plug---no unscrewing, quick action, good seal (never had one leak). I attached a small chain and riveted it to the knee brace so it can't stray very far.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new outter skin looks great. To avoid extra holes, I'm with LL I'd go with a tube but make sure you get the kit with the spacers for a tinny trans.

Thanks for the suggestions LL and TDF.

I am still not clear on what is the best option for the bilge drain. I only have two skins to pass through roughly 3/16". (two skins) The tube looks considerably longer. Probably for an installation through the transom core? Do I need to shave the tube down to size?

I need to measure the drain hole diameter on the original skin.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a few more things done over the weekend.

Here's the first mate removing the old carpet from the side panel we used for a template.

Innisfil-20120916-00267.jpg

Nice looking material they used on the old side panels. lol

Innisfil-20120916-00265.jpg

New panel cut to size.

Innisfil-20120916-00270.jpg

And the bow top piece cut-out to size.

Innisfil-20120916-00271.jpg

Going to have a bunch of pieces to epoxy down the road ... But in the meantime there's still a bunch of transom work that needs to get finished.

Then dare I say it ...

FLIP !!!

Have a good week!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Probably for an installation through the transom core?

Yes, but the length can be cut down; whatever you use will protrude into the boat a certain length to accomodate the plug. Wonder if your fabricator can weld a tube in for you? (Hope you haven't worn out your welcome!)

Nice fit on the wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.