Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970's 16 ft Aluminum Mackenzie Runabout Rebuild

edit

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took LA boat to a fabrication shop for an estimate to fabricate a bracket for the transom center brace. And I also need some other braces fabricated for the transom and splashwell work.

Now I am wondering what is the best way to support the transom. Here's my thinking ...

#1 - mount one center brace with bracket to transom
#2 - mount one center brace with bracket to transom and rivet small 'L' braces to stringers bolted through transom
#3 - mount one center brace with bracket bolted through second transom skin on the interior side of ply through the transom core and exterior transom skin

Open to suggestions ...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mixed another batch of epoxy tonight and now have one coat applied to the transom.

Still not sure about how to handle the knee brace. (I was calling it the center brace mentioned above) I could make it outta two 3/4 inch ply but I still need the bracket to install to the transom and hull. Not too mention I have horizontal ribs rivited to the hull/floor where the bracket would install. I will post a picture tomorrow for a visual of what I am thinking.

Maybe someone here has brackets they're interested to sell? Ideas?

Have nearly of all the gunwale holes patched with JB weld. Still more sanding ...

Picked up my noodles yesterday. On sale at Zellers for $1.19 ea going outta business sale before Target takes over.

Have a good one!

:)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mixed another batch of epoxy tonight and now have one coat applied to the transom.

Still not sure about how to handle the knee brace. (I was calling it the center brace mentioned above) I could make it outta two 3/4 inch ply but I still need the bracket to install to the transom and hull. Not too mention I have horizontal ribs rivited to the hull/floor where the bracket would install. I will post a picture tomorrow for a visual of what I am thinking.

Maybe someone here has brackets they're interested to sell? Ideas?

Have nearly of all the gunwale holes patched with JB weld. Still more sanding ...

Picked up my noodles yesterday. On sale at Zellers for $1.19 ea going outta business sale before Target takes over.

Have a good one!

:)

This is a mockup of the knee brace I am thinking about. I used a small piece of wood just as an example. Notice the horizontal ribs. Would the bracket be riveted to the bottom floor? Not sure?

Also wondering if I should use an aluminum skin where the bracket would install to the transom. The skin could be extended the complete width of the transom. Maybe adding more support?

IMG-20120811-00223.jpg

These are the old side brackets that will be riveted through the hull and bolted through the transom with SS hardware. Should I consider fabricating new pieces and extending the brackets 4 or 5 inches to the bottom of the transom? The small pieces of wood are temporary holders to get an idea where the brackets are installed.

Starboard side bracket

IMG-20120811-00222.jpg

Port side bracket

IMG-20120811-00221.jpg

Looking forward to hearing suggestions ....

TIA! Have a great weekend!!!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finally have someone to fabricate the transom knee brace. I am going with two braces that will be riveted to the center stringers and bolted through the transom cap and transom core. Going to have a second transom skin welded into place. Similar to the Magnumdekes thread where he fabricated and installed a second skin covering up the hole infested original skin. So when she's all said and done it will be skin, skin, core and interior skin. Should be rock solid!

Been working on cleaning up the transom brackets. More JB weld and sanding the gunwales.

Transom is sanded and second epoxy coat will be applied in the next day or two.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, the transom brackets will be riveted to the stringers and bolted through the transom plate and 2 skins.

Power washed the interior again today. Hoping to get the Gluvit down tomorrow morning. Going to be hot in the afternoon.

Have a good weekend!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hi, just catching up on your thread, I haven't been around too much due to various summer activities! You're doing a great job so far and have come a long way from "ugly"! That transom sure was a mess.

A few thoughts:

On Gluvit: A lot of folks here swear by it, but the results I had were less than I expected, especially considering the cost. I applied two coats, following the instructions carefully, and still had more leaks than I hoped for afterward. On the other hand, I don't know how bad it would have leaked if I hadn't used it! :) Maybe you'll have better luck. I had no opportunity to do a float test before to check for leaks, but did put about a foot of water in with a hose to check for leaks.

Transom side brackets: Probably what you have now will be adequate, but it never hurts to add to structure strength if you want to use longer ones. What size motor do you hope to put on there, and do you know what the boat is rated for? Also, if you mentioned it, I'm not sure I saw what the length was.

Bow brace: I wound not remove that, if it was built that way, you need it there.

Deck: I don't know if you mentioned this either, but you will need to use your epoxy to seal both sides and all the edges (especially). You will most likely have some water in the bottom of the hull one way or another, so you want the underside protected too if you never want to mess with it again in your lifetime.;)

Great job on the cleanup....Very nice work so far, keep up the good work!

Edit: Duh! Just looked at the title of your thread, 16'!:rolleyes:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks LL.

Over the course of a few good rainfalls I marked 7 leaky rivets. Gluvit will take care of the interior. On the exterior I am going to apply West Systems G-Flex epoxy to all the rivets. And of course re-buck the leaky rivets.

Transom side brackets are cleaned and ready for ZC primer. Going to go with the original brackets.

OB is a late 70's Johnnny. Also have Johnson electric shift 60. But will likely go with the larger cc.

Got the 2nd epoxy coat applied to the transom last night. Boy that core is rock solid!

If all goes well should have the Gluvit down this morning.

Maybe some pics tomorrow ...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Friday evening took the wire wheel for another spin and cleaned up a bunch more spots. Ran a 2nd power wash over the floor and interior hull. Got a bunch more dirt and stuff removed.

And got the gluvit down yesterday morning. Painted down 1 litre in total combined with resin and hardener. Went from seam to seam and across all rivets. Probably could have used another 1/2 can - nonetheless pleased with the results.

Innisfil-20120826-00243.jpg

Not sure when I'll get the deck down. In the meantime will the gluvit be damaged in the sunshine? Wasn't sure if I should throw a tarp over LA boat to keep the sun off?

This morning I washed the hull interior with vinegar/water, rinsed and sprayed on one coat of ZC primer.

Innisfil-20120826-00242.jpg

And this evening sanded down the 2nd transom coat. Ready for the final coat.

Have a good one!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looking good J!

What are the black patches on your deck framing? Is that steel or plywood?

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good J!

What are the black patches on your deck framing? Is that steel or plywood?

Thanks Jig. Painted aluminum.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You definitely need to protect the gluvit from the UV from the sun. A tarp will be sufficient.........

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Not sure when I'll get the deck down. In the meantime will the gluvit be damaged in the sunshine? Wasn't sure if I should throw a tarp over LA boat to keep the sun off?

It's all looking great!

After I applied my Gluvit, it was a matter of months that it sat before I painted. The tarp I had over the boat was a little too short and didn't fully cover the transom area. The sun that did get in there over that time caused the Gluvit to break down in that area and I had to fix & reapply there.

I doubt a short time in the sun will cause you problems, but it might be good insurance to protect it with the tarp.

emoney

Commander

I'm late to the party, but great work so far nonetheless. Looking forward to watching future progress!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

EMO and LL thanks for the comments ... Progress has been slower than I'd like but with a family and work I only have so much free time to spend with LA boat. Besides it's pretty much learning as I go. Rather take things slowly without mistakes.

Speaking of slow the guy who's installing the second skin, fabricating the transom knee braces and transom plate should have time for LA boat later next week. I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway there's lots for me to do ...

Cleaned up the transom brackets

Innisfil-20120829-00249.jpg

and transom cap pieces

Innisfil-20120829-00246.jpg

The cap pieces will actually install on each side of the transom plate. I believe this would have been the same way Mackenzie boats installed the transom.

Of course there are holes in the brackets and cap pieces. So you know what that means .... more JB weld. Great stuff. Actually tried the putty instead of the resin but for these pieces the resin is the way to go.

Will be doing more sanding and eventually prime the pieces with ZC primer. Then off to work on the splashwell. And more of the same. Clean, wire-wheel, jb weld and ZC primer.

Gotta get the third epoxy coat applied to the transom. It will be interesting to see how all the pieces come together.

One step at a time! Have a good one eh!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Don't worry how long it's taking, enjoy the process. Don't know where you are**, but around here, most of the boating season is past anyway. I worked on mine for 2-1/2 years, and missed my target splash date by 3 months. Had it in the water once, then had to wait out the winter before I could use it again! :rolleyes:

**the "eh" gives me a clue though.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't worry how long it's taking, enjoy the process. Don't know where you are**, but around here, most of the boating season is past anyway. I worked on mine for 2-1/2 years, and missed my target splash date by 3 months. Had it in the water once, then had to wait out the winter before I could use it again! :rolleyes:

**the "eh" gives me a clue though.

Thanks LL. Yes central Ontario near the shores of lake Simcoe.

Had a chance to have a look at your Starcraft thread. Nice job with the details. I will be happy if LA boat turns out half as nice.

I have been thinking about the ZC primer I sprayed onto the interior hull. With all the starts and stops the job doesn't look good. Most of it will be covered anyway with plywood sides but I am going to roll on the next coat. After ZC primer I think I can go straight to restoleum top coat. Wasn't sure if I need to go with another primer before the top coat?

Got the third coat of epoxy on the one side of the transom last night. Almost done with that ...

Have a good one eh!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I have been thinking about the ZC primer I sprayed onto the interior hull. With all the starts and stops the job doesn't look good. Most of it will be covered anyway with plywood sides but I am going to roll on the next coat. After ZC primer I think I can go straight to restoleum top coat. Wasn't sure if I need to go with another primer before the top coat?

Thanks....a lot of folks paint directly on the ZC primer, and that has seemed to work well. I used Rusto's Marine primer for metal on my interior and it's very tough stuff and has held up very well. You only need a very light coating of the ZC spray to etch the aluminum, so it does usually look splotchy when correctly applied. Doesn't matter much what it looks like, go over it lightly with a green Scotch pad before applying the primer. You can apply the primer over the ZC, then paint the primer.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks....a lot of folks paint directly on the ZC primer, and that has seemed to work well. I used Rusto's Marine primer for metal on my interior and it's very tough stuff and has held up very well. You only need a very light coating of the ZC spray to etch the aluminum, so it does usually look splotchy when correctly applied. Doesn't matter much what it looks like, go over it lightly with a green Scotch pad before applying the primer. You can apply the primer over the ZC, then paint the primer.

Thanks LL.

I picked up a small can of tremclad primer for galvanized and zinc coated surfaces. I think this is what I will use prior to whatever topcoat I go with. Besides not much harm can be done on the interior since it will be hidden.

The guy who's going to fabricate the transom parts and weld/install skin pushed LA boat back until Tuesday. Won't make much of a difference anyway.

Finished the final epoxy coat on the transom last night. And started on the splashwell.

Will get the brackets ZC primed and more sanding to do ...

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.