Silly but important questions.. first time boat owner sorry

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all

Right now i have got my secondhand speedboat i have been doing it up , new seats , clocks etc etc..

I have never actually ran the engine up yet . it was running when i brought the thing ..

The engine is an old 2 stroke Mercury 80 ...

When i got it back the guy emailed me as i asked any little tips on the boat and engine etc..

So he says , undo vent plug on fuel tank and pump the hand fuel line rubber thingy until its rock hard , then turn key 1/4 a turn and push the key in and out 10 times and then turn a further quarter and she should start ..
If this fails there is a can of Easy Start give it a little spray and she will fire up.

Sounds simple yes ?
Well this info was given 2 months back as its taken that long to get the boat over and for me to start working on her .. and now i am on my own ..

So today i tried all the above and not a splutter or nothing just turned over and over and over and over .. Couldnt get any easystart in as engine covers seem to block it..

So my questions.

1/ I assumed that he means to open the tank vent to let air in and then re shut the vent again and then pump ? which is what i did .. Or does the vent stay open .

2/ The water engine muffler i placed on the very bottom holes level with the prop , is this the right place ? or should the muffler water thingy be above the prop where this is some big vents ?

3/ How the heck do i get easy start sprayed in unless cover is off ?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Silly but important questions.. first time boat owner sorry

1/ I assumed that he means to open the tank vent to let air in and then re shut the vent again and then pump ? which is what i did .. Or does the vent stay open .

2/ The water engine muffler i placed on the very bottom holes level with the prop , is this the right place ? or should the muffler water thingy be above the prop where this is some big vents ?

1. Yes open the vent on the gas tank and leave it open as long as you are running the motor.

2. Place the water muffs over the intake vents (above the pop and below the first plate)

3. You open the cover! There is no other way to do it.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Hi all

Right now i have got my secondhand speedboat i have been doing it up , new seats , clocks etc etc..

I have never actually ran the engine up yet . it was running when i brought the thing ..

When i got it back the guy emailed me as i asked any little tips on the boat and engine etc..

So he says , undo vent plug on fuel tank and pump the hand fuel line rubber thingy until its rock hard , then turn key 1/4 a turn and push the key in and out 10 times and then turn a further quarter and she should start ..
If this fails there is a can of Easy Start give it a little spray and she will fire up.

Sounds simple yes ?
Well this info was given 2 months back as its taken that long to get the boat over and for me to start working on her .. and now i am on my own ..

So today i tried all the above and not a splutter or nothing just turned over and over and over and over .. Couldnt get any easystart in as engine covers seem to block it..

So my questions.

1/ I assumed that he means to open the tank vent to let air in and then re shut the vent again and then pump ? which is what i did ..
Code:
Or does the vent stay open .
2/ The water engine muffler i placed on the very bottom holes level with the prop ,
Code:
is this the right place ? or should the muffler water thingy be above the prop where this is some big vents
?

3/
Code:
How the heck do i get easy start sprayed in unless cover is off
?

1--Vent stays open
2- Right place
3- Don't use easy start
GET A MANUAL :confused:
BTW- I don't think you'll find any "THINGIES" discribed in the manual :rolleyes:

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. Yes open the vent on the gas tank and leave it open as long as you are running the motor.

2. Place the water muffs over the intake vents (above the pop and below the first plate)

3. You open the cover! There is no other way to do it.

Ok thanks for that ...

ref 2/ It has like 8 small holes at the very bottom and then like a big speaker grill type of vent above the first plate .. it is definately the grill type ones i use yes ?

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1--Vent stays open
2- Right place
3- Don't use easy start
GET A MANUAL :confused:
BTW- I don't think you'll find any "THINGIES" discribed in the manual :rolleyes:

I got one . but it doesnt cover small stuff only big ends carbs and stuff :(

I must admit i wasnt happy with seeing the can of easystart , but i had brought the boat by then :mad:

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

It has like 8 small holes at the very bottom and then like a big speaker grill type of vent above the first plate .. it is definately the grill type ones i use yes ?

Sounds like it yes. Take a picture and post it here and I will tell you for sure.

As for starting, try pushing the key in and holding it in while you start the motor. This is the choke.

coolguy147

Commander

hold key in until it starts. give it a little throttle. make sure you have your kill switch plugged in.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like it yes. Take a picture and post it here and I will tell you for sure.

As for starting, try pushing the key in and holding it in while you start the motor. This is the choke.

http://www.smalloutboards.com/images/m25/lower-unit-mercury-25.jpg

Ok this is a newer engine than mine but similar in it has the grill above the prop.. but also mine has like a series of small holes below the prop ?

so which one do i slap the muffler on as i dont want to melt the rubber water pump thingy ..

I like the idea of pushing the button in and holding it will try that ..

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also what worried me on the muffler is the grill thing , unsure if that was the exhaust maybe from the engine .. as where is the engine exhaust on a Merc 80 2 stroke ?

The book doesnt even tell me that either, in fact considering i paid loads of money to get the Workshop manual thing sent from the US to me in Spain .. not impressed :(

EsoxRanger

Seaman

The Button actuates the choke. The second the motor gives a kick, let off the button. Then feather it in and out, the motor will start, keep feathering it just enough to keep it running. If you manage to flood it, the best course of action is to just swap out the plugs, it will be a lot easier on the starter and battery till you learn how she wants to start.

Bifflefan

Commander

Hi all

Sounds simple yes ?

So my questions.

1 leave the vent open. then pump the "primer bulb" or "hand fuel line rubber thingy" ...:D

2 got me on that one

3 you have to take off the cover. But id avoid using any thing like that as it can damage the motor. To me 10 times seems like about 5 to many for the primer. Id start with 5 then try it then try 3 or 4 more then try it again. You may have flooded it. Wait about 10 mins then try again.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Button actuates the choke. The second the motor gives a kick, let off the button. Then feather it in and out, the motor will start, keep feathering it just enough to keep it running. If you manage to flood it, the best course of action is to just swap out the plugs, it will be a lot easier on the starter and battery till you learn how she wants to start.

Right will try that as well , thanks ..

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

still looking for definate muffler place..

and where does the Exhaust pipe blow out ?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

http://www.smalloutboards.com/images/m25/lower-unit-mercury-25.jpg

Ok this is a newer engine than mine but similar in it has the grill above the prop.. but also mine has like a series of small holes below the prop ?

so which one do i slap the muffler on as i dont want to melt the rubber water pump thingy ..

The water muffs go over the grill "thingy". This is the water intake for the cooling system. Make sure you cover both sides completely and dont start the motor until you turn on the water, or you will ruin the "rubber water pump thingy". ;)

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

and where does the Exhaust pipe blow out

The exaust blows out the center of your prop and two little holes farther up the leg closer to the power head.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys..

I found the problem a hidden rusty kill switch ,, had the spark plug out and wasn`t getting nothing, so i tracked back and found the problem..

Cleaned the wires up and made good, spark plug back in and got some fuel in her and she fired ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACSGSNAaNs

Above is the video of the first actual fire up .. and the water muffler etc..

I am still unsure if its the right place and what worried me is no water came out the top pee hole thingy .. So i shut it off ... as unsure ..

Can any outboard guys watch the video and let me know what you think ?

I am hoping maybe the engine has a thermostat that just hasn`t opened yet ??

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Hey big Pete, I watched your video.

The water muffs are in the correct spot.

If water is not coming out the tell tale then it could be a number of things; bad impeller (water pump), plugged water lines or a corroded thermostat. Even with a closed thermostat you should still see some water coming out of the tell tale. (pee hole).

Post the engine serial number so we can tell what year the motor is.

If the water pump hasn't been changed in a number of years than I highly recommend doing that. It's an inexpensive part to replace and can been done at home.

Also it looks like that engine has an oil tank, i.e. is oil injected. Do you have 2 stroke oil in the oil tank or did you mix oil in with your gasoline?

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey big Pete, I watched your video.

The water muffs are in the correct spot.

If water is not coming out the tell tale then it could be a number of things; bad impeller (water pump), plugged water lines or a corroded thermostat. Even with a closed thermostat you should still see some water coming out of the tell tale. (pee hole).

Post the engine serial number so we can tell what year the motor is.

If the water pump hasn't been changed in a number of years than I highly recommend doing that. It's an inexpensive part to replace and can been done at home.

Also it looks like that engine has an oil tank, i.e. is oil injected. Do you have 2 stroke oil in the oil tank or did you mix oil in with your gasoline?

Thanks for looking, it is oil injected so no oil added to the fuel , a bit smokey i know . But could be from when i turned it over with no spark etc ..

Would i be able to change the rubber water pump impellor myself then ? I have a small basic mechanical knowledge but little tools..

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Would i be able to change the rubber water pump impellor myself then ? I have a small basic mechanical knowledge but little tools..

All you need is a socket set. There are 5 bolts to remove on most lower units. 4 on either side or the plate just above where you have the water muffs and 1 "hidden" nut that is in the same location but at the front of the leg.

With these 5 bolts off you need to grab the lower leg with both hands, work it side to side while pulling down and it should separate. If it's been a long time since this has been done it might be very difficult to remove and require careful use of a pry bar of some sort.

Does the manual you have have a section on impeller replacement? Having all the pictures and step by step guide will be very helpful for you.