Exterior below floor sweat????

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, yesterday I noticed the outside of my hull is sweating, I'm scared! The boat has been out of the water for 2 or so months, covered, with the drain plug out. The sweat seems to be where the floor starts and below. It has been below freezing for a week or so but warmed up the last couple days. I'm thinking of doing a few core samples.....The floor seems solid, so if anything I hope there is no damage! Oh and the inside carpet is dry... Please tell me it's not necessary and it's normal!! Lol

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Exterior below floor sweat????

I would look into it... I am not a boat pro or a scientist, but this MAY be occuring because your foam is holding water and its thawing slower from the recent freeze. So, when the water vapor in warmer air hits that chilly surface (like a soda can sweating in the sun) it turns into condensation.

Or, it could be a normal phenomenon and one of the pros will come by and set the record straight shortly.

Good luck to you...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Cold boat plus warm air = condensation? Just a thought from someone studying phase changes with a junior high kid in science class... :D

Jim

Last edited:

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haha yeah, I'm hoping its just the concealed foam holding the cold!

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, you will get some condensation from the areas of foam below the cockpit floor and the fuel tank as you get some widely varying temperatures. If you think that it is excessive or prolonged, then it would be worth looking into. My thoughts are if the foam has become saturated, or stuff like that. these are possibilities, but you may want to check to be sure.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah good point Ted, I'll always be wondering if I don't know for sure!

I'll take some samples today n post back with results.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well my 3.5 year old boy was only interested long enough to get a 1/4" hole drilled in the floor (wood is dry n bright) and he helped me take the seat brackets up and caulk around the screw holes and heads. Then he had enough lol

That is the main cause of foam saturation I believe!
Oh and the condensation is gone, then again it is 4 degrees cooler then yesterday.

Maybe tomorrow ill get around to having 4 core samples.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

For some reason I get a mental image of ice in a glass from your description... yeah, frozen saturated foam below deck and an above freezing day.

Of course the condensation won't happen when the foam thaws and reaches ambient temp.

I would definitely be taking foam core samples.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah well I brought the carpet up enough to get a sample just under the splash pad. Floor wood is wet, foam damp from top to bottom (@ 2' from transom). Started another sample (5' from transom) just under the port side seat, battery died before I got through the dry wood! :/ and of course it's getting dark so ill be waiting till tomorrow.

I am using a 1 1/2" hole drill. Once the floor is done, I'm going to install permanent core sample holes with ABS sections. 2 near the transom and 2 up by the bow with O-ring threaded caps. This way here, ya just unscrew n put a piece of paper down and know if its wet or not. Could even shop-vac any wetness out lol

I'm wondering if I cut 4' length of decking, assuming I get good dry wood at that point.... if I could just dig out any wet foam from up under the remaining deck?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I was afraid that my non-scientific intuition was going to lead you to the above discovery...

I imagine its going to be hard for the pros to endorse your proposed fix (which seems hard) without seeing the make/layout of your boat and knowing the full extent of the damage. Maybe see how far the cancer has spread and take some pics of what you find (we love pics)... I imagine, folks are going to suggest you start with: (1) removing wet foam (because its not going to dry out); (2) seeing what rot your wet foam has caused on your structural pieces, and (3) finding the source of the water intrusion.

You may have a "hole in your hull" somewhere that needs to be patched before the put-back starts...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What kind of boat are we talking aboot here?

If it's a tinny with exposed deck fasteners it'll be a cinch to fix.

If it's fiberglass... you may want to hold on to your arse.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, . . . a few pictures would be wonderful. (I know that many folks like to write a lot in their posts, but I just look for the pictures)

Getting the water out of the foam is going to be a real trick.

My advice would be:

- Find out the source of the water and try to resolve it.

- Try to find the lowest point in the saturated bay(s) and see if you can drill a decent size (1" +/-) hole that can allow drainage via gravity. You will need an A/C powered drill, cuz those battery driven ones will crap out pretty quick with drilling holes of this size.

- The shop vac may help draw the water out . . . you will probably need to heat the areas as well.

- It may not work, depending upon how saturated things are, the condition of the foam, how much drying you can do, etc.

- If all else fails, then you will want to pull the foam and replace it.

Post some pics.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i thank yas for the replies!!!

shes a 1975 Starcraft 16" American.... i've been reading here on iBoats for about 4 days now in this resto forum, lovin it!!

here is the 2 holes i drilled near the back. Forgot to mention yesturday, i discovered the 1" holes circled in red!! n thought of the 3 DOZEN or more times people were lifted out of the water while tubing, soaking WET :facepalm: my holes have the white around them.
The splash pad comes out from the transom about 3 feet, i'm not sure if i'll beable to cut n stuff way back there without the top off :/

the boat is stored at the side of the property... im not too sure what to do with the engine, i have a metal engine stand i bought a few years ago, but the 2" casters will not work in the lawn lol might have to leave it right behind the boat. then theres the top of the hull... never know when ill get some hands to get these off... and im flat broke till the new year lol but i have tools to rip her appart!!

need more pictures just ask and ye shall recieve!

Attachments

• photo (640x480).jpg
    photo (640x480).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • holePort.jpg
    holePort.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HoleStarboard.JPG
    HoleStarboard.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

and im flat broke till the new year lol but i have tools to rip her appart!!

YEAH!... rip 'er apart, rip 'er apart!!!:cool:

Looks like she's prime for a resto anyway and getting the demolition done now will shorten your work load and get you on the water sooner when warm weather comes back.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahaaa well i got into her!

first pic, the cut closer to the aluminum (bow ward) is good wood! :nod: woohoo!!

second pic, no glass, bare wood on the underside

third, no glass, bare wood on the STRINGER :eek:

fourth, a couple taps of the hammer, and umm.... ahh yeah.

Attachments

• firstcuts (640x480).jpg
    firstcuts (640x480).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • panopened (640x480).jpg
    panopened (640x480).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • stringer (640x480).jpg
    stringer (640x480).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • stringerhole (640x480).jpg
    stringerhole (640x480).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks like someone has been there before and you get sloppy seconds on the resto... at least it'll be done right this time!

Looks like they skimped out on your foam too, dang previous owners!!!

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like someone has been there before and you get sloppy seconds on the resto... at least it'll be done right this time!

Yes exactly what i was thinking! i have gone through a couple other American restorations and im pretty sure they came Without foam in the center....
but yeah, i'm happy to know it will be done right and it will be much lighter which means more speed!! lol

i guess today ill get the engine and top half of the hull ready to come off.

the only problem is after today, i wont get back atter till Wednesday, just so yas know

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

She'll definitly be lighter and stronger, and even though your boat may not have come with center floatation I'm not sure that the floatation you have would really be adequate... even if it was dry. When you put her back together you may want to consider putting the pink sheet foam down the 2 center stringer bays and sheet and foam on the port and starboard sides. Just something to ponder in the coming months.

tpenfield

Staff member

So, where is the wet foam in relation to the portion of the deck that you cut out?

to the outsides?? or aft ???

Sure looks like someone has been there before, considering it is a 1975. I would see how the structure is in general and if it is just the foa that is a problem.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

She'll definitly be lighter and stronger, and even though your boat may not have come with center floatation I'm not sure that the floatation you have would really be adequate... even if it was dry. When you put her back together you may want to consider putting the pink sheet foam down the 2 center stringer bays and sheet and foam on the port and starboard sides. Just something to ponder in the coming months.

I think you are right Jigngrub... itll make sure water can drain freely through all 4 channels... thinking of suspending the foam board an inch or so off the hull. That, along with a water proof, 1 inch hole at the transom through the bottom of the 2 outter stringers.