price of 135 merc I/O new?

lkgrge17

Recruit
There is a boat I want to buy. The boat is a 2003 19' deck boat and has the 135 3.0L merc alpha I/O motor. The guy said the block and manifold are cracked from not winterizing the motor. I was wondering what I would expect to pay to have a brand new identical motor dropped in this boat? And do they make this motor without a carburator? If so, how much more would it cost verses a carburator? I am assuming fuel injection to be superior to carburation, is that a correct assumption? Thanks for any help from an educated boat person.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: price of 135 merc I/O new?

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engines-mercruiser-engines-outdrives-c-31_45.html

4k plus shipping, thats turn key, drop in ready, the link above shows that. a re manufactured block witch is what you need is 1600, then you transfer every thing from the bad engine to the new one, i.e pumps, pullys, carb, covers and what not but you will need a new manifold if the old one is cracked. the link below.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engine-19672010-p-69.html

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

That 3.0 ltr is probably a dog in a 19 ftr. If I was to need a whole new motor I would upgrade to a 4.3 ltr if possible.

Just my opinion.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Agree on a 3.0 being a bit of a dog in a 19. You can prop it so it has some pull, but you won't have a high top end.

As to your original question. You'll find all sorts of prices if you use google, but that's only if your installing the motor yourself.
If your going to have a shop do it, you need to contact them for prices. Most any reputable shop will not install a block that you order off the internet.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The 3.0 only had EFI added to it in '09, it's reliability is still a huge question.

lkgrge17

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys! The 3.0L should be fine as this is an aluminum hulled boat weighs just under 2000 lbs. If it were a fiberglass at 3000 lbs I would look into the 4.3. So I am going by the info you guys gave. I think I will Bring it to a good Merc dealer and have a brand new motor dropped in. I think piecemealing it would cost less in the beginning but cost more in the end. And lead to aggravation with unwanted breakdowns. I will keep the engine they take out to use for parts if possible. So $4000 is about what I should pay to have this job done?

Bondo

Staff member

I think I will Bring it to a good Merc dealer and have a brand new motor dropped in. So $4000 is about what I should pay to have this job done?

Ayuh,... The $4000. quoted above is a Rebuilt motor...

Paying somebodyelse to Do the work will run it up considerably Higher...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to where you can buy OEM engines (Brand New) as a Bobtail. This includes everything, including the front mount and the exhaust tube.

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail3.cfm/productID/23367.cfm

You can get it for that price if YOU buy the engine and have someone install it. A Merc dealer will probably charge you more for the engine as he makes money on the engine package as well as the labor to install it.
Contact your dealer for what he will charge, don't just assume that the DIYers on a forum are the last word on the prices of labor and what it takes to do the job when they can't even see the boat.
In most cases it's fairly easy to get a 3.0L out of a boat, othertimes the manufacturers bury them and try to make it impossible to get out in one piece.

alex3012red

Seaman

you will have plenty of power with the 3.0, i have a 19 fiberglass bayliner (2500 lbs) and it moves very good, pull a wake board ski you name it. and with today's fuel prices it's the best choice for me! have fun, buy a reman motor!