Engine Removal Sequence

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm mechanically incline but never have removed an engine in a boat. I just bought this '19 Reinell cuddy and have to change the oil pan on the 4.3 OMC with Cobra outdrive. I'm thinking that I have to remove the vertical drive 1st, then the motor? I've got the manual but it doesn't specifically give the sequence what to remove first. Can someone list the sequence please?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Engine Removal Sequence

Provided the engine can be pulled straight forward 6" clearance in front of the crank pulley, I would just remove the drive it's not difficult.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being that this in a "new to me" boat, I'm thinking I should buy and install a Transom Service Kit and do it right.

gill

Seaman Apprentice

remove the outdrive first, then unbolt the engine from the transom assembly with the two bolts, loosen the motor mounts, disconnect battery cables from starter and bell housing, control cables, wiring harness, fuel line, and then everything else i forgot.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Remove drive then engine.

Don't forget, you MUST align the engine before reinstalling the drive. Also, cobras are VERY sensitive to shift cable adjustment, get it wrong and they eat thier own gears. There is a great write up online for adjusting the cable, if I can dig it up, I will post the link.

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm mechanically incline but never have removed an engine in a boat. I just bought this '19 Reinell cuddy and have to change the oil pan on the 4.3 OMC with Cobra outdrive. I'm thinking that I have to remove the vertical drive 1st, then the motor? I've got the manual but it doesn't specifically give the sequence what to remove first. Can someone list the sequence please?

I'm going to quote straight from the Cobra service manual:
Check engine clearance between front of engine and engine compartment bulkhead prior to staring work. If clearance is less than 6" the vertical drive must be removed to disengage u-joint shaft from engine coupler.

when engine clearance is more than 6" the engine can be pulled forward to disengage the u-joint shaft from the coupler and remove engine from engine compartment.

NOTE: Drive can remain installed only if engine removal does not require disturbing the engine mount height.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll pull the drive and motor. I'll check all the parts, including cables to make sure they're all in good condition.

BTW I've read where some are swapping out the Cobra outdrive to a Merc or other outdrives...why? What's wrong with Cobra? Just curious.

Bondo

Staff member

BTW I've read where some are swapping out the Cobra outdrive to a Merc or other outdrives...why? What's wrong with Cobra? Just curious.

Ayuh,... Because OMC has been Out of Business for well over 10 Years...
The only parts available are Aftermarket,+ some aren't available Anywhere, at Any Price......

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's some good reading. Thanks

Now let me throw a curve for all. I'm sure this has been asked or suggested many times but being that I'll have the motor and outdrive off any advantage in plugging the hole, glass it and install an outboard?

Don't beat up on me, just asking :p

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I pulled the outdrive and motor out today which was relatively easy.
The only problem I encountered was the four s/s bolts that attaches the exhaust "y" housing to the transom plate due to the s/s bolt material to the aluminum housing. I'll take it to a machine shop to have them drill it out. Probably will need to insert a helicoil.