Exterior below floor sweat????

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Exterior below floor sweat????

So, where is the wet foam in relation to the portion of the deck that you cut out?

hey, the second picture above is facing the transom... the decking was only rotted or wet to 4 feet forward of the transom.

to the outsides?? or aft ???

Sure looks like someone has been there before, considering it is a 1975. I would see how the structure is in general and if it is just the foa that is a problem.

i put a hole through the center stringer... looks from factory they didnt glass where the cross members are for the decking (its the same heavy duty glass as the sides of the boat)... the 2 outer stringers look just like the center one.

but yeah, someone has been in there b4... the transom looks terrible lol

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well the floor is bare, the bumper that holds the 2 hull sections together is off. i'm going to have to replace the wood stripping that the bumper screws grab on to. not too sure how to do that...

so its just the engine left to disconnect... 4 TT hoses, electrical harness and hydraulic steering ram... is the any tricks to the steering hose? i'll see what the manual has to say.

oh, i think whoever did the floor last, think they put a coat of resin on the underside at least.

do you guys think the factory would have glassed the stringers in like that? i see no ridge signs from a previous glassing..

well here's the bare floor, its a shame the stringers are rotten! the floor in the pic is dry n solid, well a couple black spots.

i thank yas for your help n comments! i couldnt do this without yous and this site! :joyous:

Attachments

• barefloor (640x480).jpg
    barefloor (640x480).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Stringers are completely glassed in at the factory, sometimes not very well... but they will be covered with fiberglass and resin. Your stringers have been replaced at least once, and not very well.

When you pull the decent looking plywood up look at the bottom and see what condition it's in, if it doesn't look bad take it indoors to dry and maybe you can use it for scrap somewhere in the rebuild.

Between now and the rebuild time take the time to read as many restoration threads as you can and you'll be way ahead of the game when you start putting your boat back together.

These are some good ones:

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ml#post3586813

http://forums.iboats.com/completed-b...on-510077.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...py-524704.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...de-584261.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...lp-471173.html

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jigngrub, thanks for the links but dont think they work, inless youre messing with me lol

i managed to get the 115 off the boat and check out the repair job that was behind the aluminum plate! lol... cut a chunk out of the floor today too.... it was 8 above freezing today!!

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of IMG_1626.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1626.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of IMG_1625.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1625.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Joeshow just seen your thread with the title floor sweat. This was the exact problem I had . I was going to refinish the hull to look nice and I went out one day in the winter and the hull was sweating below the water line. When I ripped the carpet up the floor was solid but there were at least a dozen holes from where they poured the foam in and never sealed. So over the years the foam broke down and started absorbing water. had to do a complete stringer and deck job too myself. Now I know what condition my boat will be in in the end. I see lot's of good people have jumped on board to help you out. Good Luck

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I dunno what's going on with those links Joe, might be a site hiccup.

Your below deck doesn't look that bad from what I can see in the pic, some closer shots would help... I'm getting old and need new glasses.

It's going to be spring before ya know it, with good boat repair temps.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey Outback Jack, yep sounds like the exact same deal here!! the piece iof floor i pulled up today, i could tell the hole was from when they poured the foam in... there was a perfect circle extruding from the foam! they just did a quick fast job, whoever it was! i'm pondering on emailing the Previous owner to see if he knows who did the job lol

thank you n good luck to you also!

if ya have a thread, i gotta take a look!

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jigngrub, ill get a couple better pics tomorrow i think... calling for a bunch of rain.... she's pretty rotten, they didnt glass where the cross braces run across the tops of the stringers. so every two feet there is a two inch strip right across the boat of no glass, if ya know what i mean lol but yeah the pic wasnt very good for seeing that.

i cant wait for spring, lol the pickrel derby is the first week of may!! lol

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey Outback Jack, yep sounds like the exact same deal here!! the piece iof floor i pulled up today, i could tell the hole was from when they poured the foam in... there was a perfect circle extruding from the foam! they just did a quick fast job, whoever it was! i'm pondering on emailing the Previous owner to see if he knows who did the job lol

thank you n good luck to you also!

if ya have a thread, i gotta take a look!

Mine was right from the factory built that way ...I have seen more up here the same way , must have been the way they did it in the early mid 90's figured the foam would seal the holes.

I had a restore thread but my photbucket account got the pictures deleted from at one time, lol I let my son use the account and he deleted my pictures. I should just start a new thread some day and update the pictures as I have the hull flipped now ready to refinish it .

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Mine was right from the factory built that way ...I have seen more up here the same way , must have been the way they did it in the early mid 90's figured the foam would seal the holes.

That is OEM for a lot of boats, aluminum and fiberglass... but a fiberglassed boat is supposed to have the deck glassed in over the holes. Some of the aluminum boats have a piece of plastic film over the holes, others have nothing but carpet and glue over them.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a restore thread but my photbucket account got the pictures deleted from at one time, lol I let my son use the account and he deleted my pictures. I should just start a new thread some day and update the pictures as I have the hull flipped now ready to refinish it .

AH yes, Chinewalkers resto's were the same way! i am very shocked they would build them that way... but then again, mine lasted, could have lasted 40 years. considering that, the way boats are restored on this amazing site, theyll last 80 years, maybe more!!

that would be great, more info on the site the better! lol
Good luck, hope she goes smooth for ya!

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is OEM for a lot of boats, aluminum and fiberglass... but a fiberglassed boat is supposed to have the deck glassed in over the holes. Some of the aluminum boats have a piece of plastic film over the holes, others have nothing but carpet and glue over them.
looking at mine when I tore it apart it was glassed in but just at the seams and the plywood was just sprayed with resin

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey, i havent made any progress, just been reading n such....

i have a question though... im wondering about more hp on my soon to be new transom. i would like to be able to put a 150hp engine on her.

if i was to attach triangles (plywood) biggest possible) on both sides of all 3 stringers and fill the void with ply, make the floor fit tight and fg it all.... would that be sufficient?
Could i use say oak plywood? or maybe 3 layers of oak for the transom at 1/2 inch thick?

thinking i could keep the gas tank in the bow to compensate for the weight.

what do you guys think?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Most... if not everyone on here will think that overpowering you boat is a real bad idea, because it is a bad idea.

tpenfield

Staff member

I think that there may be some sort of capacity rating plaque that might indicate what the rated person, weight and horsepower capacity is for the boat. If there is not such a plaque, then you can calculate the horsepower rating using the some of the USCG documentation on boat testing and capacity rating. It should be a reasonable measure in Canada. Perhaps there are some Canadian regulations to reference as well.

Anyway, the USCG method of horsepower rating has more to do with the dimensions and hull type of the boat and nothing to do with the engineered strength of the transom. So, if the boat is rated for that horsepower, or can be calculated as such, then it should be OK. If not, then not a good idea.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ah, ok i'll take your word for it Jigngrub, idea is scratched!

so i'm guessing, is the oak plywood too hard of wood for fiberglass to attach too? is that why no one mentions it?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

No, the oak plywood is indoor grade and isn't make with waterproof glue... as are all of the "pretty" plywoods like birch, oak, cherry and others. You want the exterior grade plywood for a boat, ABX or BCX grade plywood... the X stands for exterior.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think that there may be some sort of capacity rating plaque that might indicate what the rated person, weight and horsepower capacity is for the boat. If there is not such a plaque, then you can calculate the horsepower rating using the some of the USCG documentation on boat testing and capacity rating. It should be a reasonable measure in Canada. Perhaps there are some Canadian regulations to reference as well.

Anyway, the USCG method of horsepower rating has more to do with the dimensions and hull type of the boat and nothing to do with the engineered strength of the transom. So, if the boat is rated for that horsepower, or can be calculated as such, then it should be OK. If not, then not a good idea.

thanks, yes she is rated for 6 people or 1500lbs and 100hp.... so its already 15hp over powered (bought it like that) i am going to make it alittle stronger and keep the 115 on her tho

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, the oak plywood is indoor grade and isn't make with waterproof glue... as are all of the "pretty" plywoods like birch, oak, cherry and others. You want the exterior grade plywood for a boat, ABX or BCX grade plywood... the X stands for exterior.

ok, thanks!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

... and don't get the pressure treated plywood either, it's wet on the inside with pressure treating solution and your resin won't bond to it.