Why do so many people neglect their boats?

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My not-so-scientific research tells me that the average boater does not keep up with the cleaning and maintenance on their boats. I am an average Joe who loves boating and takes good care of his boat. I have owned a number of boats in my lifetime and always buy used boats. I can't count the number of boats I have looked at that were filthy, damaged, had broken skegs, moldy, uncovered, corroded, missing parts, etc, etc. Whenever I answer an ad the boat has been presented as mint, like new or excellent condition. Rare is the boat that I see listed on Craigslist really what it appears. Looks like a lot of folks buy boats and use them with little to no maintenance, preventive or upkeep. I mean 90 percent of boats that I have looked at were what I would consider poorly maintained. Maybe I am a bit too picky, but keeping your boat washed and waxed, maintaining it mechanically and fixing things that break and keeping your boat covered when not in use seems like the minimum a boat owner should do, no? Maybe I am looking at the wrong boats, but this has been my experience. Is it just me?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Why do so many people neglect their boats?

Laziness or ignorance... or both.

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not done anything to mine because Im in Afghanistan. Please let me off the hook this time. I did buy parts, does that count?

I believe some people think that because it's a boat, it's built to be used in a rough environment so doesn't need any tlc.
I'm amazed at how many boats I see at their docks all season long without covers:eek:

MRS

Commander

I have not done anything to mine because Im in Afghanistan. Please let me off the hook this time. I did buy parts, does that count?

Yes that counts:). And Thank you....

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A boat is a tool that serves a purpose. It's for their enjoyment. If maintaining it is not fun that takes away from their enjoyment so why would they do it. Many people do not look at a boat as a treasure.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It always gets me when I see the same boat sitting uncovered for a season or more with a "for sale" sign. Maybe try a different sales tactic.....lettin' her rot while keeping the asking price the same doesn't seem too effective.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

A boat is a tool that serves a purpose. It's for their enjoyment. If maintaining it is not fun that takes away from their enjoyment so why would they do it. Many people do not look at a boat as a treasure.

People who baby their cars are more likely to baby their boat. I take better car of my boat than my car, but while my car gets regular oil changes, it only gets washed when it rains.

My boat is something I use outdoors were it is often wet, sandy, and sometimes muddy. I take reasonable care of it, but I do not intend to keep it in showroom condition. I take better care of the boat engine because if I am out somewhere and it quits I could be in real trouble. If my car engine quits I can just pull over to the side of the road and call a tow truck or a cop.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yankeyspeed - thank you for your service in Afghanistan. Without brave folks like you, there would be no boating.
Rallyart - there is a lot of daylight between treasuring your boat and the neglect that I see so often. You have every right to not maintain you boat, just don't list is as mint or excellent condition when you sell it. That is what really frustrates me.

Alumarine

Captain

I believe some people think that because it's a boat, it's built to be used in a rough environment so doesn't need any tlc.
I'm amazed at how many boats I see at their docks all season long without covers:eek:

I leave my boats in the water uncovered from April to November.
In the fall they fill up with leaves that blow out when I get up on plane.

TilliamWe

Banned

a boat is a tool that serves a purpose. It's for their enjoyment. If maintaining it is not fun that takes away from their enjoyment so why would they do it. Many people do not look at a boat as a treasure.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!

UncleWillie

Captain

Why do so many people neglect their....

Boats
Cars
Motorcycles
Houses
Lawns
Landscaping
Parents
Wives
Kids
Families
Health
Jobs
Education
...the list goes on....

Laziness or ignorance... or both.

In an admittedly extreme stereotyping; Two groups of people exit...
One group attempts to do as much as possible. (Type A Personality)
The other group attempts to do as little as necessary.
Most people fall somewhere in the middle. :)
Which crowd do you feel more comfortable with? :rolleyes:

Tim Murphy

Cadet

exactly!!!!!!!!!!

My not-so-scientific research tells me that the average boater does not keep up with the cleaning and maintenance on their boats. I am an average Joe who loves boating and takes good care of his boat. I have owned a number of boats in my lifetime and always buy used boats. I can't count the number of boats I have looked at that were filthy, damaged, had broken skegs, moldy, uncovered, corroded, missing parts, etc, etc. Whenever I answer an ad the boat has been presented as mint, like new or excellent condition. Rare is the boat that I see listed on Craigslist really what it appears. Looks like a lot of folks buy boats and use them with little to no maintenance, preventive or upkeep. I mean 90 percent of boats that I have looked at were what I would consider poorly maintained. Maybe I am a bit too picky, but keeping your boat washed and waxed, maintaining it mechanically and fixing things that break and keeping your boat covered when not in use seems like the minimum a boat owner should do, no? Maybe I am looking at the wrong boats, but this has been my experience. Is it just me?

Dear Shabah,

My not so scientific research tells me that you are preaching to choir by posting this here.

I maintain my stuff for several reasons. One is that I sort of enjoy sprucing things up and keeping them nice but the main reason is because I don't want to be somewhere counting on something I own to perform and having it fail. I have plenty of things that I own that are 15 or 20 or more years old but they still perform as new. They might not look perfect but they work perfectly.

I bought a 1990 boat this year with a 1982 outboard engine on it. It was a consignment at the dealership that sold it new. They towed it out of the barn, put it in the water, hooked up a tank of fresh gas, and it started for me on the second pull. They didn't know I was coming in to see it either. I bought it and I'm sure many people would say I paid too much for it but it would have cost me 5 or 6 times as much to buy a duplicate boat new. There was/is virtually no wear on the carpet or seats or flooring in the boat. The original owner took excellent care of his boat and I didn't think I was risking anything by buying it. As I used it this summer it became apparent to me that I got a good deal at a price that was fair given the condition of the boat.

I intend to keep the boat in the same manner that the previous owner did, for no other reason than I was raised to value the the things I own. Like you, I wish more people were like that.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Lots of people buy boats with this imaginary dream of how great it will be, and have no idea of how much time, money, and commitment it takes for those great moments. Lots of boats end up unused and forgotten about, and therefore neglected, until they are finally sold.

(I"m selling a boat for a relative that fits exactly into that mold. Bought it with great dreams of using it every weekend. Used twice, and has sat since. (2 years) Now the gas has gone bad (wasn't stabil'ed) and the throttle cable rusted itself solid. The carbs are plugged up, so its looking at a fair chunk of $$$ just to get it running again, all from lack of use.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is one of my pet peeves - boats stored outside without any type of protection, I can almost smell the rotten floors,stringers,transom as I drive by.

LK

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would suspect that guys that neglect their boats neglect all the other stuff also. autos ,home finances etc

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I makes me mad every time I see an awsome boat sitting uncoverd for years.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shabah, there is no worry about me listing something as excellent or mint when it's not. With boats, I spend a lot of time deciding on what I'll get and then I just keep it. My 'new' boat is a 2006 and my old boat was bought new in 1980. My 1978 inflatable stayed until too many seems were coming apart and then found the dumpster. My 'newer' inflatable I bought used 18 years ago.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i lived close enough to you i would be happy to maintain your boat for you.....Thanks for your service.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I clean the carpet in my boat after every outing and it is always covered. The entire rig gets washed after every trip. maybe it's a little overkill but i want this thing to last a long time.