Why do so many people neglect their boats?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Why do so many people neglect their boats?

If Shabah is preaching to the choir, I am the heathen who skipped church to go fishing.

I go with the "I'd rather be using it than waxing it" crowd. A boat is a tool. Mine are the pick-up truck, the SUV; yours may be the Mercedes convertible. That's the problem with the question: the meaningless word "boat."

Where I live and boat, a major boating community, boats are more often not covered--BECAUSE THEY DON'T NEED TO BE! You can get boats that are made for outdoor use. They don't rot after the first rain; there's no carpet to fret about. My living room sofa wouldn't fare so well if I used it as lawn furniture, so I bought lawn furniture.

You can't say my boat is neglected because I leave it in the water uncovered year round, any more than you can say I neglect my Chevy by not parking it in a heated garage. Or covering it every night.

I do, however, maintain them. My efforts are put into the things that matter: the fuel, the motor, the electronics, the condition of the bottom, the equipment. My new boat looked new when it was new; it looked 5 years old when it was 5 years old; it looks 24 years old now that it is 24 years old--and has looked about the same for the last 10 years. Part of that is because we buy boats made for outdoor use that hold up.

+2....

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK despite my previous posts, even to me there is such a thing as neglect: y'all have to see this. Look at the last picture in the ad. Not one but a forest of saplings growing IN the boat.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/3358664447.html

As Clint said, every man has his limits.

He doesn't have the title to the boat, so he's using it in a befitting manner; yard planter. ;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I haven't said much about this yet simply because it is a sore spot, I have had to work very hard all of my life and boats are a item I have all ways had to by used and then rebuild, so when I see a breath taking boat left to just sit and rot. I have no pity on the owner what so ever. I have often looked at boats I was considering buying that the owners had really stupid high prices on them and I wasn't very polite in explaining their 15,000 15 year old pile of rot was worth squat.

OK despite my previous posts, even to me there is such a thing as neglect: y'all have to see this. Look at the last picture in the ad. Not one but a forest of saplings growing IN the boat.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/3358664447.html

As Clint said, every man has his limits.

I guess that is why he is selling a trailer - it just also happens to have a boat and motor sitting on it :D

sphy1005

Recruit

I believe some people think that because it's a boat, it's built to be used in a rough environment so doesn't need any tlc.
I'm amazed at how many boats I see at their docks all season long without covers:eek:

ahh, there is a storage place on the way to my house. There are 3 nice boats that have been there that are not even covered just parked outside. One seems to be a nice center console. My wife and I were just talking about how the owners could not just buy a $100 cover and keep it covered. They probably spend more than that a month on storage alone.

I clean the carpet in my boat after every outing and it is always covered. The entire rig gets washed after every trip. maybe it's a little overkill but i want this thing to last a long time.

Same with me, even though I've only owned my for about 2 months. I've taken it out about 8 days to the lake. All the seats, lines,etc... comes out to air out and it gets a wash and at least spray wax or regular wax along with vacuum and interior cleaning.. everytime i get back

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

There have been a few after close inspection my offer was ,,, ok ill take 500 and hall it off for you.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our family just purchased our second boat. The first one was a 12ft fibreglass fishing boat that had sat outside without a cover and never had the drain plug pulled. When I saw it, it had filled to the gunwhales with rain water and had frozen like a big ice cube. The lady who was selling it, said her husband had passed away and he didnt know anything about boats. We got it for a song, replaced the transom and used it for 2 years before selling it. Needless to say it was in better shape than when we started with it. It sold within hours of posting it on Kijiji. Prior to finding our latest boat, we saw numerous others. I too cannot understand when people just dont look after their stuff especially having payed a good price for it in the first place. The term "good condition" is used to describe a boat which we saw recently. Filthy floors, weathered and cracked seats, dash damaged because a tube of deet was left to empty itself out on the plastic. Just all very careless stuff. Just sad when people do this. The other is of a boat, Bayliner Capri sitting under a tree for the last 15years! Sad, very sad. Then people are upset if you make them an offer thats way below their asking price.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The reason people neglect their boat is the same reason people neglect their own health....laziness.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

This past Sunday we spent the day watching some go fast boats act foolish up and down the river. We had a few bags of chops and popcorn. I did my best to pick up the bits that fell on the cockpit carpet, but I'm sure a bunch remained. I also had to run after docking, closing her up (canvas, hatches, sliders, shades, curtains, checking the bilges etc...) and grabbing my coolers. Luckily in 2 days she's on the hard and I can get all the chip and popcorn bits off the back deck. :D