Why do so many people neglect their boats?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why do so many people neglect their boats?

Lots of people buy boats with this imaginary dream of how great it will be, and have no idea of how much time, money, and commitment it takes for those great moments. Lots of boats end up unused and forgotten about, and therefore neglected, until they are finally sold. ...

Nailed it.

86 century

Ensign

The way I see it boats no matter if its a 10' john or 40' go fast rig they spend more time at wot then most race cars.

If you are going to run something that hard you better take care of it or you will be swimming.

I have used this analogy several times. Go out and buy yourself a brand new convertible drop the top and floor it everywhere you go. When your done don't bother putting the top up just leave her set in the yard wile its to cold to use.
You say this to most people they will look at you like you have two heads. As there boat sets ten feet from them full of leaves.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

this is one of those "why" questions that will never be answered. Too many variables.

I cannot control what "others" do, I can only control what I do so I do not waste my time fretting over others behaviors.

A good example. The other morning at work an upset manager came up to me and asked "just what did everyone do last night". I replyed to him that he would have to ask them and that I could only tell him what I had gotten done. Sorry not my job to make sure everyone else is doing theirs.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Some people have life changes that cause boats to take a back burner. Job loss, child on the way, divorce. Maybe they assume they can keep the boat and use it after their life sorts out. Then it sits, then sits, then si... Next thing, the cover is torn and its now a wreck.

I purchased 4 boats this way now. One was for the motors. One was a dud that I missed the rotted stringers, but the last two have been good to me. I got into them for half the cost, put my own work to bring them back to where they should be, and figure on contuing to improve them.

I do admit, no matter the reasons, it's sad seeing a derilect boat.

MJG24

Seaman

Why do so many people neglect their....

Boats
Cars
Motorcycles
Houses
Lawns
Landscaping
Parents
Wives
Kids
Families
Health
Jobs
Education
...the list goes on....

This^^

This is not a boat issue...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

This^^

This is not a boat issue...

Neither is the original question or statement! It is a human behavior issue. In this case, neglect, which usually fallows all aspects of ones life.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I'm confounded by the choices and manner in which many go about their lives. I'd say that while it is not a boat issue as much as it is a life issue, boats are one of those things that are sort of an outlier. Some people are just ignorant when it comes to them while you'd never guess it by the way they live the rest of their lives. Then again, I recall looking at nearly new boat, literally 3 years old that looked like they were used as stunt boats they were so disheveled but the owners use them up, sell them and do it again. These guys weren't ignorant, they just have the means to replace every few years.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that neglect is usually a symptom of human behavior. A boat is one of those things that is easily forgotten until the time that it's finally taken out, and for some reason breaks down, starts taking on water, etc.

I know that my boat is going to have to last me a long, long time. It's always stored covered in a heated storage building. I keep logs on all of my routine maintenance. It's wiped down/spray waxed after every outing, and it's polished/waxed twice a year. I just spent all weekend washing, polishing, waxing, and cleaning the interior. I know what I do seems over the top to alot of people, but I plan on having a 20 year old boat that looks pretty dang new.

My storage place also has outside storage. There's an late 80's-early 90's 20' or so Sea Ray that's been sitting there for two years. The first year the owner had a semi-custom cover and tarp on it. The tarp got shredded after the first winter and was never replaced. The cover crapped out that spring and the boat's been sitting out in the open ever since. I've always been curious to see what the inside looks like now after sitting outside in Kansas weather for over a year, but I'm afraid to. The trailer tires are both flat and the skeg has dug into the asphalt. The teak is all grayed out and split, and the gel coat looks horrible. It's amazing how fast a once nice boat has gone downhill just because someone hasn't cared(maybe) enough to do the very basic maintenance to it, but they still write a check for the storage fee every month.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, I have to say that I really learned something from all of the replies to this post. I am a lot like atx111 and probably go a little too far on maintenance and upkeep on my boat. After every use I flush, wash, dry and cover my boat. I wax it regularly and clean the interior after every use also. Like others have said, I take similar care of my cars, house, etc. I do it for many reasons. Boats cost a lot of money and I want mine to last a long time. I take pride in how my boat looks. I am a trailer boater and actually enjoy spending a sunny afternoon listening to tunes, washing or waxing my boat, prepping for the next trip and talking to neighbors. I love nothing more than being out on the water, priceless. However, I also understand that this is not what makes most people tick. And someone made a great point that there would be no deals out there without boats that need some work. I did not mean to preach to anyone about what is right or wrong. It just seems to me that the majority of boat owners fall more into the neglect category based on what I see out there. No judgement, I was just trying to understand why. Divorce, overseas service, no time, lack of interest, etc. That explains a lot. Just suprised me.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

To the guys who was, wax, clean and detail after every outing, keep in mind that isn't bad on an 18-20'er, anything more than that and the time that takes is compounded. It would take me a whole day just to do that on my boat. I can't even reach past the front of the house from my dock. Some may have to scrub and clean after every single use, but others may not have the option, or it isn't feasible to do so. That probably wouldn't constitute neglect, as it seems the majority say a boat sitting uncovered is neglect, but some may frown upon it.

I do plan to wash and wax it before shrink wrap, and hope life doesn't get in the way of that.

cyclops2

Banned

If I like something. I take care of it..............................Within reason.................I will NEVER treat a machine like a person !!!!!!!!!!!

( I cover my body ) I also keep the boat covered after every use. Polish it when the spider crap spots get obvious.
2002 Chap is still called a minter. I Fantastic the white surfaces 2 X a year.

DONE

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, my 2 bits . . .

Having done some 'shopping' for boats over the past few months . . . I'll say that some folks outright neglect their boats, but it is hard to say why. It is probably for a variety of reasons, but central to it would be a lack of understanding of the need for maintenance.

I also think there is 'silent neglection' of boats, and that it may be more common and less obvious than the blatant neglect. Silent neglection is when issues develop in a boat that could be and should be taken care of in the early stages, yet go un-noticed and/or unaddressed. That sort of 'neglect' may stem from boat owners having their boats "serviced" at a marina or boat shop, and thinking that everything and anything is being addressed. Servicing a boat, does not mean looking at and adressing everything and anything. Other situations may be that the boat owners just don't know all of the places to look for early signs of trouble.

The end results can often be substantially the same . . . an older boat with lots of issues that could have be prevented.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If Shabah is preaching to the choir, I am the heathen who skipped church to go fishing.

I go with the "I'd rather be using it than waxing it" crowd. A boat is a tool. Mine are the pick-up truck, the SUV; yours may be the Mercedes convertible. That's the problem with the question: the meaningless word "boat."

Where I live and boat, a major boating community, boats are more often not covered--BECAUSE THEY DON'T NEED TO BE! You can get boats that are made for outdoor use. They don't rot after the first rain; there's no carpet to fret about. My living room sofa wouldn't fare so well if I used it as lawn furniture, so I bought lawn furniture.

You can't say my boat is neglected because I leave it in the water uncovered year round, any more than you can say I neglect my Chevy by not parking it in a heated garage. Or covering it every night.

I do, however, maintain them. My efforts are put into the things that matter: the fuel, the motor, the electronics, the condition of the bottom, the equipment. My new boat looked new when it was new; it looked 5 years old when it was 5 years old; it looks 24 years old now that it is 24 years old--and has looked about the same for the last 10 years. Part of that is because we buy boats made for outdoor use that hold up.

I do not consider your compulsive washing and waxing maintenance, nor do I consider certain boats "neglected" if they are reasonably clean but unwaxed. Of course you are free to keep yours shiney, but you can't criticize those whose boats age gracefully.

Now, if you have a boat that can't handle weather and has to stay covered, and don't, then that's like leaving the top down all the time on a convertible parked outside, and that would be neglect. Same goes with restored antique boats, or top-end boats.

Certainly there are lots of neglected boats around here. Some, it's 2 years of barnacles on the bottom; some it's being parked under a tree, filled with leaves, and never cleaned out, some banged up and not repaired.

Why boats get neglected to the point of material damage, I think, is the downward spiral when they become a problem or a chore, it's not rewarding to maintain them, then they get worse, then it's more of a chore, they get more neglected, and down they go. Often it's someone who bought an old boat cheap that ran, and then as we would expect, has problems beyond the finances/time/skill of the owner. That's' why I steer new boaters away from the project boats.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

a lot of people cannot look more than 2 weeks into the future

why maintain something... it will surely make it 2 more weeks without service? Is the end of that thought process.

then when it all piles up and craps out... they push it onto the lawn and write up some craigslist ad that we can laugh about

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I go with the "I'd rather be using it than waxing it" crowd. A boat is a tool. Mine are the pick-up truck, the SUV; yours may be the Mercedes convertible. That's the problem with the question: the meaningless word "boat."

Where I live and boat, a major boating community, boats are more often not covered--BECAUSE THEY DON'T NEED TO BE! You can get boats that are made for outdoor use. They don't rot after the first rain; there's no carpet to fret about. My living room sofa wouldn't fare so well if I used it as lawn furniture, so I bought lawn furniture.

You can't say my boat is neglected because I leave it in the water uncovered year round, any more than you can say I neglect my Chevy by not parking it in a heated garage. Or covering it every night.

I do, however, maintain them. My efforts are put into the things that matter: the fuel, the motor, the electronics, the condition of the bottom, the equipment.

+1...

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so washing and waxing my boat as often as I do is now considered compulsive? As a matter of fact, it is almost exactly what the original owners manual suggests. Let me add a few more specifics to my original question of why so many people neglect their boats. My current boat is a Monterey cuddy (sold the Shabah) with carpeting and cushy seats that don't like to be left out in the rain. Yes, it CAN be left out, but it will deteriorate rather quickly if left out for a season or two. I agree that there are some boats like center consoles and dual consoles that are more weather hardy and do not have carpeting or padded seats. (they make covers for them also, by the way). And larger marina boats are definitely not going to be washed and dried after each use. My apologies to those folks. It is boats like mine, cuddys, bowriders, ski boats and bass boats that need more care and protection and often do not seem to get any.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I think we are getting somewhere now.

The types of boats that don't fare well to being uncovered and left out, seem to be the type of bots purchased by new boaters, who want to get the family on the water. This means a lot of vinyl cushions, seating, plush carpet, open bows, I/O for a clean sleek look, quiet operation, etc... Couple these things with a bit of unknown neglect (owners not realizing that the boat should be cleaned, dried and covered) or things arising that cause the boat to sit idle, and you have a recipe for a neglected boat.

Thats my guess, but keep in mind I have never owned a smaller bow rider of cruisers. I'm just taking a random guess.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shabah, I totally agree. When I bought my floating couch with the nice carpet, I totally understood what it takes to keep that nice interior looking good and dry, and I don't consider that compulsive. Where I boat, if you don't wash/wax on a pretty regular basis, your nice white gel coat will turn a poopy brown color pretty quick. I too, enjoy spending time working on the boat in the driveway with a couple of cold drinks. I take pride in ownership in everything I own and try to take care of them to make them last. I'm not passing judgement at all, thats just how I am.

I think neglect is a pretty subjective word. I also realize that people buy boats for different reasons, have different expectations from them, and different life circumstances. I certainly don't think a boat's neglected if it doesn't look showroom new for its whole life. I think of a boat that wasn't properly winterized and now has a cracked block, a boat that doesn't get the basic mechanical maintenance just to keep it safe on the water, a boat that's being towed around on a trailer that can rattle completely apart at any moment, tires that are so old/dry rotted that they become a safety hazard to anyone close to them on the road, a boat with wood so rotten the boat is basically a sponge, etc.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some people own boats, some people are owned by boats. I hope I am somewhere in the middle. I cover my boat in the summer and hook up the battery charger (takes less that 15 minutes) and winterize it in the fall (takes less than an hour) and then put a cheap cover over the summer cover. My boat is 22 years old and is an aluminum bass style boat. No I do not wax it ever or wash it regularly. I usually take it to the car wash in the spring to get rid of any gunk build up. But no, I do not spend a lot of time on maintainence. I do spend a fair bit of time and money on minor improvements, but I do so because I enjoy it.

BTW, if I were a lawyer whos time was worth $200 plus an hour, would it be a good investment to spend all that time working on the boat. On the other hand, I suppose I could pay someone to do that stuff if I made that kind of money.

TerryMSU

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think we are getting somewhere now.

The types of boats that don't fare well to being uncovered and left out, seem to be the type of bots purchased by new boaters, who want to get the family on the water. This means a lot of vinyl cushions, seating, plush carpet, open bows, I/O for a clean sleek look, quiet operation, etc... .

that makes a good point. a lot of new boaters who buy those kinds of boats don't know, or underestimate, the amount of extra non-boating time required to keep those boats in decent cosmetic shape (plus they don't handle young children well--the living room/play room analogy). Come home from a day on the water, sweating at the hot ramp and a 45 minute drive home, tired wife and sunburned tired 4-8 year olds, another hour in the driveway isn't so appealing. And although things are different now, when my children were little, I could no more spend a Saturday in the driveway drinking beer and washing boats while the ankle biters are driving my wife crazy inside....
So that boat owner lets it go (unless he wants to sleep in it when the wife locks him out) and next time gets a boat that only requires a hosing off.

re: "Yes, it CAN be left out, but it will deteriorate rather quickly if left out for a season or two."
I consider that a boat not worth owning. I'd hardly consider it a boat.

There's a guy up the street and at least once a week he washes his 15 year old Honda (car). Sometimes blow dries it with a leaf blower. And when he's finished, know what he has? a 15 year old Honda, and one less hour of free time. Down the street, the other 15 year old Honda, washed twice a year, has just about the same value, and functions the same.