1973 Bass Cat 115 Evinrude!

freeman.360

Cadet
is this a good boat? got it off my grandad for free. need a lot of work. the boat is rated for and 85 hp motor it has a 115 on it. im going to clean it up and lay some carpet. any good ideas to do with this baot throw me anything. also what is a good kind of carpet to get...needs cleaning up and wiring and stuff just wanna find out some details about this baot anything thanks

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Bass Cat 115 Evinrude!

Get some pics of that puppy up on here! Get yourself a photobucket account-its free and easy!
First item of business-If the boat's max hp rating is 85 and there is a 115 on it-GET IT OFF!!!:eek::eek: (not saying that you wouldn't have taken it off anyway) That is very dangerous-even more so for a boat that might have a rotten transom!!
Everything you need to know about boat rebuilding can be found on this site! Most are documented with excellent pics and descriptions!!
good luck!
boatflipper

freeman.360

Cadet
Horsepower Question!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Horsepower Question!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

my bass cat is rated for an 85 hp max. it has a 115 hp on it. and i am beginning to worry about it because of what people have been saying. the transom has one crack on the side of the motor but other than that it looks to be in good condition. also the boat is fiberglass and the fiberglass cant rot...please help me!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Horsepower Question!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes it's fibreglass on the OUTSIDE of the transom, in the middle of the transom sandwiched between the fibreglass is good ole fashioned wood and if you've got a crack in the fibreglass (depending on how bad it is and where it is) you've now got a rotten transom or one that's on it's way. You need to have it checked for rot. Just fibreglass by itself couldn't hold a 115 hp motor let alone withstand the torque, they all have wood.

I won't even get into the overpowering speech :)

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 I agree with bktheking.

structual work can be done, But it would have to be done professionally.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It is possible to repair a transom, do your homework, check out this article

http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/transom/cobra.html

Google transom repair, transom fillers, etc.

Then decide on the best course of action, whether to tackle the job yourself or pay someone else.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Why the links to other sites and suggestions for google searches? Everything you need to know can be found here and any work you need to do has been done and chronicled here as well with great descriptions and pictures.

Take some pictures of the crack in the transom and post it here. We'll be able to help you get started in what you will need to do in order to make a decision on what to do next.

Your transom is likely made of an outer "skin" of fiberglass (what you are saying has a crack in it), then probably 2 layers of plywood (3/4" each) and an "inner skin" of fiberglass.

Normally, we'd suggest you drill small holes in the transom from the inside and see if you've got nice dry wood or dark wet/rotted wood. Since you have a crack on the outside that needs to be repaired, if it's not just the gel coat, you may be able to drill some test holes there to check for rot.

Go ahead and pull that motor off though. You're going to have to do that anyway to fix the crack. You can sell it to help you pay for the proper motor for the boat!

Good luck and we are all looking forward to seeing your pictures!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With the cracking, I would assume that the wood transom has already failed. In my opinion, replacement is necessary.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

With the cracking, I would assume that the wood transom has already failed. In my opinion, replacement is necessary.

What he says! It's just fun to hold out a little bit of hope for the guy though! ;-)