Whale wars boat sinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whale wars boat sinking

this might be dockside material...or s.h.t.

but.....what the heck was that?.....the skipper of the large vessel rammed that boat.....and it was worth big bux.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Whale protest boat 'cut in half'.

Whale protest boat 'cut in half'.

What do you think of this ?

Whale protest boat 'cut in half'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/3209484/Whale-protest-boat-cut-in-half

My personal view...the Japs should be allowed to harvest whales....just like your northern peoples, scandinavians etc......they don't take enough to obliterate the whale population.......they use them for food (not like us in years gone by).

Now you will hear all the bleating, screaming and wringing of hands.

In this country it is illegal to shoot ducks....once apon a time there was a duck-shooting season, but all the duck lovers persisted with protest till now it is illegal and people under 30 have never heard of 'duck shooting season'.

Cheers
Phillip

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whale protest boat 'cut in half'.

mods duplicate post in general...(from a different poster)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'm with you Phil,...
The ship should have hit the Greenpeace boat dead center, instead of just clipping the bow...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Typical,... Enviromental Terrorists...Deep pockets,+ No sense...

Howdy Oops,... Long time no see,... Best,+ Happiest new year to ya....;)

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

this might be dockside material...or s.h.t.

but.....what the heck was that?.....the skipper of the large vessel rammed that boat.....and it was worth big bux.

I only watched it once, but it looked like the smaller boat actually powered into the larger one. If you look at the rear of the smaller boat several seconds before impact, you can clearly see that the smaller boat is under power and is making forward progress. I am not familiar enough with the maritime rules to assign blame, but I don't see it as a clear case of big boat rammed little boat. I could be wrong and am not trying to start an argument, just pointing out my observations of the incident.

Nor am I going to comment on the politics of the whole situation, but anytime boats play that close together, someone is bound to get their feelings hurt or even worse, their hull hurt.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Saw that on the news this morning. Read a few articles on the web as well. Sea Shepards have stated that the boat did not sink, but was otherwise destroyed... They are trying to salvage what they can...

Sea Shepards also stated that the Ady Gil was at a standstill, under no power whatsoever, at the time of the collision. However, if you watch the video over again, right around the 19 sec mark, it looks like the Ady Gill powers up (watch the transom area) so not sure who actually ran into who...

The Ady Gil is a composite boat and they planned to use it to block the whaling ships from harpooning whales... The harpoon gun could put many holes in that boat itself. Not much thought put into that one I feel...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

What do you think of this ?

You asked what we think... I think the Japanese should adhere to the International Ban on whale harvesting... JMHO...

Also, based on the video, looks to me that the AdyGil Powered up before impact, even though the Sea Shepard group said that the Ady Gil was not under power and was JUST RAMMED...

Not sure why they powered up before impact, but it was not a smart move.........

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just looked at video @ cnn.com. Seems to me that both ships were under power and both manuvered to collide. I dunno, I wasn't there, and lots of opinions can be made from a video.

IMHO.....Whaling has been banned for years. Rightfully so. Everything gleaned from whales can be, and has, been made synthetically. The Japanese, I believe, are the only ppl still whaling. All under the disguise of "research". BS!!!

I support the sea Shepherds. But I don't support intentional collisions at sea.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

More extreme activists doing there thing.... its a shame the boat didn't sink with everyone onboard.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I vote for the whales only because the fat and flesh can be grown in vetro. As a matter of fact, all meats can be grown in vetro cheaper than it can be raised and harvested conventionally. The problems are it doesn?t look epically appetizing, people won't accept anything grown artificially and think of the number of employed in the raising of chickens, beef, pork etc.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

IMHO.....Whaling has been banned for years. Rightfully so. Everything gleaned from whales can be, and has, been made synthetically. The Japanese, I believe, are the only ppl still whaling. All under the disguise of "research". BS!!!

I support the sea Shepherds. But I don't support intentional collisions at sea.

I agree. That "was" a cool looking boat, however.....

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a shame that they take a good cause and taint it with moronic tactics and a captain that is off his rocker (Watson). It's a shame that he puts his young crew's lives in danger because of his stubborn tactics. There is a reason that all of his crew are young, easily influenced, kids who also support the cause. There is also a reason for the crew's high turnover rate.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Alomg with the fact they are all volunteer and do not get paid for their service... Paul Watson has it great... No job, donor support and free crew to order around....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Merged the two threads together. Let's keep the discussion to the seamanship or lack there of. Political twists will get it poofed . . . Thanks.

lakegeorge

It takes quite a distance for a ship to turn and almost no distance for a small boat to turn.
You be the judge for who is at fault.
I used to watch this show until I realized that the Sea Shepard Captain is off his rocker. He will get someone killed one of these days.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

That is unreal. What a waste of millions of dollars. That was one hela cool boat! It looked pretty obvious both boats wanted the collision. The small craft picked up speed and the big boat began a hard starboard turn.

If you watch the last few seconds you can see what looks like a person getting seriously launched from the small boat via the fire hose. That had to have hurt.. a LOT.

itsaboattime

Merged the two threads together. Let's keep the discussion to the seamanship or lack there of. Political twists will get it poofed . . . Thanks.

Ummmmm I always was under the impression that when it comes down to it the bigger boat has the "right of way"........

Like I said before.....

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think the bigger boat owns the waters. We don't know if the larger vessel purposely chose that path or if the small vessel simply got in their way. After doing a little reading, it appears that small vessel makes a habit of trailing factory ships so whalers cannot unload the whales. So, if the small craft was following and the large vessel simply wanted to butt them out of the way, it would be tough to say "The big boat always wins", since that would constitute an aggressive maneuver. Assuming that is what happened. Just trying to bring up a time when "right of way" doesn't mean "owns the water".

Status
Not open for further replies.