Chris Craft Project - well I dunno, maybe?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So this caught my eye the other day...

5T55Fc5P53Me3Fc3Hec9hf7c3f3ab47761c66.jpg

The owner inherited it and doesn't really know anything about it. Says it's a CC Sea Skiff.

Trailer looks pretty good.

No engine.

Total rebuild, huge project obviously.

My minds eye shows me she could be beautiful again:)

He says $500 takes it.

Interesting, very interesting:D

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chris Craft Project - well I dunno, maybe?

I am still working on a wood boat project. I have been down, but I am back up again and kind of cooking along. With epoxy none of the old swelling and wood boat maintenance issues really apply anymore. If you like working with wood, then I say go for it. Be prepared to flip her over though depending on how those planks are setup, and the bottom condition. If she needs to be replanked, then you have a major job. How are you set for those types of tools? Air compressor? Sanding, sanding, sanding. Sawdust.

Looks liek you have the rudder, strut and propshaft there. What about the rest of the driveline? Motor and trans?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, man - that could make for a really awesome project... I have seen your woodworking skills and you definitely have the chops to take on something like that...

I think its a fair price. The Chris Craft wooden hulls carry a lot of cache and I have seen people ask a ton more for a rotten stack of boards... Looks like you have a reasonable starting point there... (and a double axle trailer that might be worth the asking price alone).

I know the Islander is probably next up - but this might make a good "longer-term" tinker project while you are using the other 2 boats.

Also, I have seen some Sea Skiffs finished up and they look really cool. A little more usable (utilitarian) that other some of the other classic runabouts that are more like sports cars..

I say go for it....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I do love working with wood and have dreamed of a big wood boat restoration someday. Well, someday a long way off from now but this just popped up so it has me drooling a bunch.

No engine. The fella says that it has a "partial restore" so far. Could be good or could be bad. Here are some extra shots he sent me....
IMG_20120623_135225.jpg

jpeg.jpg

IMG_20120623_135213.jpg

From what I can see the wood looks pretty good. In person it may be a different story though.

I showed my Woodshop Teacher buddy here at the school and he may buy it as a student project. That would be an excellent excuse not to buy it (and therefore not end up kicked out of my house:rolleyes:).

QC

Supreme Mariner

A ton of missing hardware there. Vintage stuff is expensive. If you were to go with modern hardware, that could be cheaper. Depends on how close to original you want to get.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh, man - that could make for a really awesome project... I have seen your woodworking skills and you definitely have the chops to take on something like that...

I think its a fair price. The Chris Craft wooden hulls carry a lot of cache and I have seen people ask a ton more for a rotten stack of boards... Looks like you have a reasonable starting point there... (and a double axle trailer that might be worth the asking price alone).

I know the Islander is probably next up - but this might make a good "longer-term" tinker project while you are using the other 2 boats.

Also, I have seen some Sea Skiffs finished up and they look really cool. A little more usable (utilitarian) that other some of the other classic runabouts that are more like sports cars..

I say go for it....

Yah, totally agree with you bro.

Yup, this would be like a way log term, strung out, after the Islander, after the 14' Mirro Craft, project.

If I did score it I'd have to drive it down hide it in your garage though PMC. Jen would pummel me if she found it hiding under some branches back on the property here! Do you have room next to the Great Lakes Special there?:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

A ton of missing hardware there. Vintage stuff is expensive. If you were to go with modern hardware, that could be cheaper. Depends on how close to original you want to get.

Yah, I have seen original CC stuff pricing, yikes!:eek:

I'd never be able to budget in that sort of stuff. I know I'd feel guilty not going original but I'd have to go aftermarket and still make her pretty, ya know.

I've seen some of these boats totally restored, all original and unfortunately they still sometimes aren't worth what the owner invested. A fella would have to have deep pockets and want it for the love of the boat to go all original, eh.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I can't see you enjoying a rig like this... You should probably just let me have it...

GetImage.jpg

GetImage-1.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh sheesh, that is absolutely beautiful! Stunning really:D

Yah, I'd love to have a cruiser/fun/ski kinda boat like that. What fun!:)

Decker83

Commander

What a boat. Can see the beauty in it already. With your skills this good be the ultimate boat for you.
With that said, this old confused glasser won't be able to keep up with all your projects.
Would love to see you make the score as long as the admiral dosn't make you sleep in it.

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 64 24' SeaSkiff. It was the best riding boat I was ever in. It has been in a field for a few years. When I parked it, it needed a couple of planks replaced. I am afraid to look close at it now. I plan on restoring it eventually. It has all of the hardware and the engine. The name of it was "Sticky Buns" I refinished the transome on it once but my wife wouldn't let me put the name back on it. I don't understand why. I am really hoping you get that boat and restore it. You are only 4 hours away for me to come and peak at it.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did the pics go?:confused: Teased with an old woodie and can't see it. There are a ton of old Sea Skiffs and very similar Lymans running around the western basin of Lake Erie, and I remember gawking at them when I was a kid (and still do when I see them). I was thinking about looking for a 16' Lyman myself to use for a smaller fishing boat when I don't feel like tugging the 24 footer around. They sure are purty.:p
http://www.lymanboat.com/images/brokerage/rundblad.jpg
I say go for it!

Edit: Rats!!!! I was just looking for one on Sandusky craigslist and found my grail boat.
http://sandusky.craigslist.org/boa/3275798725.html
A 1973 Chris Craft XK-22. The things I find when I'm broke.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know if it helps or hurts, but it's sitting on totally the wrong trailer. Might want twin axles as she'll be heavy, but it's already forward on the bunks & a good foot+ from the bow stop. The winch post looks like it might be able to be moved further back some, but not sure if it'll move far enough.... Of course, if it's in decent shape, sell & replace ;)

Is a straight inboard motor an easily sourced donor boat part? Prop shaft, stuffing box?

Sort of looks like the strut mount for the prop shaft is still present, just forward of the rudder..

Having it sort of pre-demo'd & the resto in progress, looks like you'll easily be able to lay your hands on almost the entire interior hull surfaces to inspect it for condition. It appears to be in extremely good shape from the photos...

As mentioned already, wood project boats, but ESP ChrisCrafts & a few other brands, are usually extremely pricey & very often in unbelievably horrible overall condition. So for a boat this size, it's not badly overpriced.

It will likely take significantly longer then the Islander has taken (will take ~ :confused:) to finish, but I suspect you are easily up to the challenge. I also suspect that you will find yourself searching for vintage CC parts & hardware for this boat, bottom feeder price seeking or not, it will feel like the right thing to do.

If the associated cost will be too great (is the Islander already completed to a live-aboard condition?), it may need to be enough to 'help' the shop program, work on it at school.....

If those costs can be minimized by other means. Like, I don't know, a winter masterbath reno, maybe?

Well,

Then,

Suck it up Buttercup,

and drag that beautiful big wooden beast home :):cool:

My doctor does not approve this message :facepalm: nor does my Admiral :redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really want this boat:eek::D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'm looking forward to watching your rebuild thread about it,.....

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you can find the details, this link may help you get build data for the hull
As mentioned before, not necessarily bottom feeder friendly: $50/yr to 'join' the vintage CC forum :confused:

Some inspiration:
seaskiff_4sale.jpg

Ouch, ^^^ for sale $10K:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, so I talked with my buddy Kevin today (woodshop teacher). He said he's about 90% sure he's going to buy it for a student project. This would allow me to still be part of this boats world and avoid death by fry pan.:eek::eek:

We did agree that one of us should grab it though! Both of us are stinkin busy so it's going to be a trick to find the time to look it over.

We'll see how this plays out...