Chris Craft Project - well I dunno, maybe?

emoney

Commander
Re: Chris Craft Project - well I dunno, maybe?

If the owner is willing to throw in the screen door, then this is a no-brainer, I mean, come on!

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the beauty of a restored, deep-shined ChrisCraft. Classiest boat on the water. Yes, it's one of those "5 year Resto's" (or longer), but that's 1/2 the beauty of it, the hunt for the parts, etc. Any way you and the Shop teacher can become "partners" so that when it's done, she stays with you? Maybe you buy the materials and the kids get to learn the work?

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the owner is willing to throw in the screen door, then this is a no-brainer, I mean, come on!

I think that's the windshield, not a screen door :eek:

But yeah, it he'll throw in a screen door, snag it too :rolleyes:

Truthfully, on my cell, the 1st time I looked at the pix, I thought it was a screen door too :facepalm:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just in case I ever get up to your neck of the woods, and get to meet your beautiful family, I would like to be excluded from the "frying pan on the head" club and hold my opinion as to whether or not you should JUMP on this offer...until such time has passed that this Beautiful Vessel has become a staple in your household...;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice try Gus, you have posted here, you are associated. If the fry pan comes out you will get pounded, that's it, that's all, sorry dood:eek:

-------------------------------------------

This is what I was talking about earlier. Absolutely perfect boat, beautiful, can't get even his investment back on it, what a bummer...

http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/3192659241.html

Wow is she pretty:)

emoney

Commander

"Screen Door" is a code name for windshield. Sheesh, do I have to tell you guys everything. Just like "toilet flapper" stands for Lower Unit....Compressor=Motor. These are all so you can have a discussion that your wife overhears and she never knows you're talking about boats. Come on! (not bad for making that up on the fly, eh?)

As for that beauty for sale, I bet it takes him a while to even get his asking price. These boats have to be a love affair and not a resale project. The market is just so limited when it comes time to find a buyer because at the price, they're not practical at all. He has to find another "lover" who just so happens to have both disposable cash AND a current need. Not at all like selling the Sea Nymph. (not that you ever would). Gotta be a better platform than Craigslist for that boat I'd think.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wow, that boat is gorgeous!:eek:
Ab-SO-freaking-lutely +1 on that beauty!

I'd bet that's a guy that started it before the economy tanked & had always planned on selling it, just not at a $8500 loss :facepalm:

Hate to think the tough economy is forcing it's sale.... Bummer is right....

This CC sportsman resto may prove helpful for reference

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, my buddy Kevin is going to swing out and take a look at this CC this weekend. I'm pretty sure he'll score it, pumped! I hope he does cuz this is going to be an awesome project!:D

He has even decided to make room in his garage for this project.....

More on that ^^^^ later:D....

(MOOooooooHhhhahahahahhhahaaaaaahahhahah)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, just like that Gus:eek::D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this would be a perfect use of taking a "sick day"...and just drive up and get it....and again, if it turns out it's best future would be bon fire kindling, you'd still have a double axle trailer

QC

Supreme Mariner

And a BIG flippin' fire . . . :cool:

Ned L

Commander

OK, I'll make a quick comment here. This could be a fun project if you are up to it. HOWEVER, be aware that there is almost no similarity between the mid 60's lapstrake skiff you are looking at and the mahogany runabouts & speedboats poeple have been putting up for comparison here (other than the builder). The differences cover everything from appearance to construction (mahogany vs. plywood), and even public appeal and resale value (It will be years if at all before these C.C. sea skiffs are in demand like the speedboats & runabouts). Also, this boat appears to be not much more than a stripped hull. You may need to find a period appropriate C.C. marine engine, like a C.C. 185 (chevy 283), because they are a flywheel forward engine and will fit the boat. There is a strut & rudder & that looks like about it. As far as the price, the owner really should be looking for a good home to 'donate' it to (or consider you are buying a trailer & getting a free hull). Your investment will undoubtedly be more than the return when you sell her.
All that aside, C.C. sea skiffs were & are good boats that perform well and are very practical to use. Good luck & enjoy the project!

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Nice find Jas!! If your buddy doesn't get it maybe you can trick Jen, "Honey we do not have enough fire wood yet, I found a cord for sale with a trailer to tow it home on":eek: What ya think???:D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I think you're becoming a bad influence on you shop teacher buddy there Jas.

Does he still have the glass SC, and would that be the "make room" referred to?

Would be a sweet boat to follow though.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well guys, my buddy Kevin went and checked out the Chris Craft - he drove home without it.

Both stern corners were all rotted out.

We talked it through this morning and certainly feel it's rebuildable, but, at what cost and at what amount of labor.

He hasn't wrote it off completely but knows it'll be a huge monster job to make it right.

I think if he can grab it for a couple hundred bucks he may go for it. Worst case scenario he'll have a pile of wood that can be used in other projects (furniture n stuff) along with a trailer that can be sold for more than what he pays.

We'll see how this shakes out...