Need Advice & Value of several vintage Evinrudes

Sharon100

Cadet
I came to this forum last August to seek advice and values of several Evinrudes owned by a 94 year old man who I help to take care of; but this little old guy took a nasty fall, and we have been months in rehab. I am back now and due to your answers last August, I did get numbers off of the motors and so here I am again. I have a 2 or 3 horse Sportsman, 4416-30373 -- the individual who looked at them for me, said the attached tank is laquered up -- is there any value to this motor? I have a 7.5 horse Fleetwin, 9434-21260, which is locked up -- is there any value? There is a 5.5 h.p. Fisherman, 5514-03536, plenty of compression.
The 18 hp Fastwin, 15020-12196, has never seen the water, and has plenty of compression; The 28 hp Speedwin, Model 282020, Serial 02069, has also never seen the water, and the individual who looked them over says it has so much compression that he can't even start it without causing a heart attack. This motor also has never seen the water.
I would appreciate any assistance trying to place a value on these motors, and any advice regarding the best way to get them sold. Thanks to all who responded last time, I am not set up for photo shop, so I can't attach photos, but if it is really necessary, I can have my son do this on his computer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need Advice & Value of several vintage Evinrudes

By "never seen the water" you mean never run, brand new condition, or just that it hasn't been run in recent memory?

The 18 is a popular motor. The locked-up ones may have nominal value for parts to the right collector--but shipping cancels that value.

Salt or fresh water?

I wouldn't think you want to advertsie nationally (ebay) due to shipping hassles. That's why I prefer Craigslist. The restoration guys may have some restoration sites and groups you can contact. Good lusk and thanks for not just chucking them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sharon, you do not say where you are. that effects the value also. i have on occasion, sold outboards for those who did not want the hassle, i get 10% of the sales price.

4416 1947

5514 1951

15020 1957

28202 1962

9434 did not find, check #

these are going to be collector motors, not everyday users. suggest you check here. http://www.aomci.org/

Sharon100

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. We are in Michigan, and I mean these motors never touched the water. The father of the 94-year-old man who owns them had them for sale in a Pontiac dealership he owned in Paw Paw a long long time ago. The 18 and 29 h.p. have never been in the water. I am trying to find out the age and value.

Sharon100

Cadet

We are in Michigan and by never touched the water, I mean they were never in the water at all. These were once owned by the father of the 94-year old man who is now trying to sell them His father owned a Pontiac dealership, and put the motors for sale on the floor. He left the dealership due to health issues years ago, before the 28 and 18 h.p. motors were ever sold. They have sat on motor stands in a garage ever since.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You have some genuine rare finds there. Do not let somebody talk you out of them as being a dime a dozen.

You need help from the Antique Outboard Club. The national website is www.aomci.org There is a chapter in Michigan that I think you should seek help from. Go to http://pfs-ware.com/wolverine/about.htm and contact Mr Gorz, the president. His phone number is on the wolverine site I just mentioned. Good luck.

jbjennings

Captain

If the '57 18hp has a tank and doesn't have a scratch on it, I would think the value would be between 600 and 1000 dollars. Is there any chance you could show some pics of the motors? That would be as helpful as the serial numbers in my opinion. The seized 7.5 hp would be about $50 at most.
The 28hp might be from 600 to 1200 I would think. It's hard to say. Depends on if the right person sees it. I would try craigslist as well.
You might also place a free ad on aomci.com, and give a chance to some of the members to buy it. Someone who appreciates those motors would be likely to get it, and pay more for it. I personally would LOVE to have a NOS '57 18hp johnson/evinrude.
Good luck,
JBJ

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

You have some genuine rare finds there. Do not let somebody talk you out of them as being a dime a dozen.

You need help from the Antique Outboard Club. The national website is www.aomci.org There is a chapter in Michigan that I think you should seek help from. Go to http://pfs-ware.com/wolverine/about.htm and contact Mr Gorz, the president. His phone number is on the wolverine site I just mentioned. Good luck.

If these are as rare as mentioned then you should not sell them on craigslist or locally. You should auction them on Ebay to get the widest possible customer base. (and best possible price).

Seek the advice of the club mentioned and/or find someone to help you with selling items on ebay if you aren't familiar with the process.

Dale Speck

Seaman

Hi Sharon. Just throwing my 2 cents worth in. Location, time of year, many factors effect value. I have a '57 Evinrude Lark 35 HP. in excellent condition that I would be lucky to get 500 dollars out of here, I've seen several of them sell for 2500 dollars in New england. I live in Iowa, right on the Mississippi, and I respect Tashasdaddy and value his opinion on many matters but I have to respectfully disagree with his comment about not being daily use engines. I personally use a 1958 Johnson 18 hp. Seahorse as my daily user, and a 1959 Johnson 18 hp. is my back up. Many people in my area use these motors when they can find them because they are as reliable as almost any new motor and the parts are still plentiful and inexpensive. Also because they are usually cheap. On average, in running condition, they go for $150.00 to $400.00. Non running. It's hard to get 50.00. In most cases they get given away or taken to the salvage yard. Ebay is your best bet for the non runners. Sad thing is, they sell for more dismanteled and sold for parts than they do as complete non running units. As for the 2 That have never seen water, I agree, list them on the AOMC sight. If you decide to sell them complete on Ebay, they will have to be drained and crated for shipping. Use the Shipping calculator to determine what to charge, or contact a local shipping company and find out their rates. Another option is to post that the buyer is either responsible for pick up or shipping. The bottom line is value is subjective and unless you can find a local buyer to give you a fair price, you are going to need the help of someone who knows what they are doing. Once again, this is just my 2 cents worth.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I would seek a national audience for selling them, because there is one guy out there who wants your motors worse than anyone else...he cant find it....it is a sellers market for a 50 year old unrun outboard!!

some guy with a mint restored vintage boat, is dying to find your motor!!!

I bet you could sell them well over $1000 for the unrun models

auction them with high reserves, ( unless you really need cash!! soon)

good luck

bob

Sharon100

Cadet

Thank you very much for the sites for the Antique Outboard Club. I would have never known there was such a thing. I just want to sell them for him and get him a fair price. Living long enough to see your father's treasures getting sold, or worse end up ruined from storage, has to be tough. Thanks Again. These sites will be helpful.