Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy a boat and I have two I'm looking at. I'm leaning towards the Aluminum Starcraft (1986 Starcraft with 70 hp Johnson) vs 1986 Glasstrong (Canadian made Glastron look-alike) Open bow Speed Boat with 1979 Chrysler 700 skier (70 hp). I know its impossible to know the condition of a boat by a picture and a description, yet I'm looking for general advice. "what would you buy if you were me"? kinda advice.

Here's my thinking. I will use the boat mainly for fishing with the occasional "kid on a tube" use. Both will suffice for that. I've bought a Fiberglass boat a few years ago, and learned later its got stringer rot, and repaired transom rot. Its sound, and I bought it cheap so I got what I paid for, and I've gotten my money out of it.

Yet I don't want to buy another 'can of worms', and Aluminum seems much easier to inspect, and a safer bet. Here's some pics.

4188ian_20.jpg
IMG_7243 copy.jpg

The Glasstrong is $2500 which seems kinda cheap, and the Starcraft is $3500 and the owner isn't even advertising it and no rush to sell it. The Glasstrong seller is selling a couple older trucks and lots of other stuff, and impossible to get a hold of, despite the public advertisement. Both are a 3 hour drive away, so I'm trying figure out if I should go and look at both, or which one first. I'm sure I should look at both, but I'm heavily leaning towards the Starcraft, and the Glasstrong worries me to say the least. Yet that's not completely fair without looking at it. However I'm not very confident it doesn't have rot in either the transom or stringers or both. And I'm not very confident I'll be able to find it with just a 'tap-test'.

Maybe I'm just looking for people to agree with me, but I'd love to hear some general and experienced thoughts. Again, I know nobody can tell me which is best, but I'm rather looking for the safer choice.

Thanks

I'll do a Poll. Option 1 is the Starcraft (aluminum), Option 2 is the Glasstrong (fiberglass)

nlain

Commander
Re: Advice plz. Aluminum vs Glass boat choice to make

I own a glass boat, but in this instance I would go aluminum, no rot. That age in glass has a lot of wood in it and you have a great chance of rot. Mostly fishing and an occasional tube pull, aluminum is the best buy to me. Fishing = blood in the boat and other things, metal easier to clean due to not as much nice upholstery to get stained. Understand, I do fish out of my boat, I keep cloths on board, blood and stuff on the upholstery, dip rag in water and wipe, keep on fishing. Just my thoughts.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I voted for the Starcraft, I may be a bit biased though, I've only owned one fiberglass boat and never plan to own another, I've owned three aluminum boats and love the ease of working on them. I'm betting the Johnson motor will also be easier to get parts for and maintain than the Chrysler.

Where are you located? Both of the prices seem high, at least for my area...

cyclops2

Banned

Old boats.

I go with Aluminum. There is 1 important place for wood rot in a Aluminum boat. RIGHT under the O B clamping area. Often the wood goes right to the floor. So Soaking the wood in water is REAL. Those Aluminum boats left with water 1/2 way filled ARE NO BARGINS.

Either boat can be rot.
Have to check all the welds & rivits at the stern / transom for swelling . Repair ? good question.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where are you located? Both of the prices seem high, at least for my area...
I'm in the prairies in Canada (Calgary Alberta), so boats are worth their weight in gold. I've looked into getting one from the states but for my budget its not practical. Yet I just seen a couple 1988 Starcraft 16' listed at $4000 in the States (west), but ya I've also seen the same ones out east for a lot less.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

cyclops2

Banned

35 year old boats ? No more than 750 to 1200 in VERY GOOD condition.

Parts will empty your wallet in a hurry.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

the Starcraft is 26 years old actually, but I've only read good things about them. Plus their rare in my neck of the woods.

I just talked to the seller of the Starcraft and he mentioned that it has a small 'repair' done on the transom. He said it was sealed or something. He's going to send me a pic of the hull and 'repair' tomorrow. He's been nothing but up-front about everything, and did mention that he left it in the water for 3 days and when he pulled it out there was about a gallon of water in it. Yet he's not sure where it came from, and mentioned that they had a couple kids on a tube climbing in and out, so that would account for some, but not a gallon I'd assume. Not sure what to make of it, and it sounds potentially serious like a bad seam or rivet. Could have even been from crashing waves, I'd assume.

Any thoughts?

Can you just weld a bad rivet or leaking seam, just in case some day it needs to be done?

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I'd assume if it's a seam that's coming apart it there would be some signs of abuse or impending doom. I'd be curious as to what the transom repair was. If he had the outboard off when the repair was done there's a chance water is coming in through the mounting bolts if they weren't properly sealed up. That's also pretty easy to cure.

I don't even pay attention to a gallon of water in my 30 year old Aluminum boat after a day of fishing or tubing. It's surprising how much water comes in when kids are climbing in and out. After 25 years it's almost inevitable that some rivets may leak a bit. I haven't bothered on mine but lots here say Gulvit seals rivets up really well.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

the Starcraft is 26 years old actually, but I've only read good things about them. Plus their rare in my neck of the woods.

I just talked to the seller of the Starcraft and he mentioned that it has a small 'repair' done on the transom. He said it was sealed or something. He's going to send me a pic of the hull and 'repair' tomorrow. He's been nothing but up-front about everything, and did mention that he left it in the water for 3 days and when he pulled it out there was about a gallon of water in it. Yet he's not sure where it came from, and mentioned that they had a couple kids on a tube climbing in and out, so that would account for some, but not a gallon I'd assume. Not sure what to make of it, and it sounds potentially serious like a bad seam or rivet. Could have even been from crashing waves, I'd assume.

Any thoughts?

Can you just weld a bad rivet or leaking seam, just in case some day it needs to be done?

Come over to the Starcraft section here on iboats.
First off, if you are concerned about that leak, you would NOT weld a rivet, you can "buck it" (hammer one side, anvil the other) and apply GLUV-It, a waterproof mixture that seeps into cracks and crevices and is usually first thing done to an old tinnie being restored/repaired.

As far as the transom, it could be about anything from a small hole that was patched, to needing a whole new wood transom put in. Which actually is not a major ordeal.

What are you towing with? The tinniw will be towable with darn near any small truck/suv/old station wagon...lol

GO TIN!!!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I like tin personnally. I think one of the reasons is that I can transform them into just about whatever I want and then change it back if I don't like it. I'm talking interior design not exterior. A glass boat does have that advantage and it's been proven here. Hull repairs on tinny's can be challenging but as Kev say's bucking a few rivets to stop a gallon every 3 days leak isn't anything extremely difficult, Heck I'd probably just upgrade the bilge pump and forget about it. Nah that's BS, I'd have it torn down and restored before opening day at Eagle Lake. LOL.. Probably the best advice was about the ages of the boats. You're buying something old and you already did that. Why are you doing it again. Are you expecting different results? You do know that's the true definition of insanity. LOL Good luck with your decision.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

. Nah that's BS, I'd have it torn down and restored before opening day at Eagle Lake. LOL. You're buying something old and you already did that. Why are you doing it again. Are you expecting different results? You do know that's the true definition of insanity. LOL Good luck with your decision.
Are you talking about Eagle Lake Alberta, Canada?
As for buying an old boat, I'm afraid that's the only thing in my price range. Maybe if I lived down south where boats are 'cheap' (in comparison) I'd get something newer.
I'm actually buying new, if you consider my boat now is early 60's fiberglass, with a 63 Merc 500. lol. UPGRADE! Actually I love old boats, cars, trucks, ect. You can actually work on it, and there's little to no plastic. It was made to last back then, and I'm sure you wont see 1990+ vehicals around 30 years from now. Unless you look inside your PC for the recycled plastic. ;)

And BTW, I've gone crazy long ago, so I don't worry about repeating my mistakes.

Thanks again. I'm sure you'll get to know me well in the Starcraft section. I'm going to look at it on Saturday or Sunday and will likely pick it up.

chriscraft254

Commander

I simply say the starcraft is better for your area, since it is all rock up there. If your main purpose is fishing, that type of open bow boat is useless imo. I also don't know why the glasstrong would have that old a motor on her? Good luck and enjoy the hunt

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class

I simply say the starcraft is better for your area, since it is all rock up there. If your main purpose is fishing, that type of open bow boat is useless imo. I also don't know why the glasstrong would have that old a motor on her? Good luck and enjoy the hunt

Good point. Being able to shore the boat is a great advantage to me.

cyclops2

Banned

A gallon in 3 days in a Aluminum boat causes no worry.
A gallon in 3days in fibreglass is terrible.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't worry about a gallon in three days. I've had aluminum boats (beat to death) that would leak a gallon in three minutes while running in chop... Assuming you'll be trailering the boat and not leaving it in the water just make sure you have a bilge pump. :)

southkogs

Staff member

Honestly, Starcraft has always made a good boat - so if they are in similar condition: the Starcraft. Additionally, that 70hp Johnson is part of that string of 3cyl Johnnyrudes that were incredible outboards. The outboard if it's running well is another BIG plus for the tin boat.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Any thoughts?

An accomplished welder can fix you right up on repairing alum and they make some great adhesives nowadays that stay slightly pliable and work great too.

The Johnson is Loop Charged and the difference in fuel consumption when comparing that engine to the Chrysler, which is cross flow charged, is staggering. Back in '71 I had the (new) Chryslers (55 twin and then 85 triple) and all my buddies had OMC triples which were Loopers. In '72 I had a (new) OMC.

Also what you said about stringer rot is surely a consideration and that is one of the reasons I now have an older alum boat. Other reasons are light and easy to tow and operate (don't need a big engine) and you can bang it up a little while enjoying your fishing and not worry about "scratching the gel coat.

A gallon of water in the bottom after 3 days in the water is no crisis, especially when you don't know if it came from the kids or not. Back when I'd go out into Galveston (TX) bay in a 14' rent boat and 10 hp engine, I'd bail out more than that just from spray blowing in the boat getting back in in the afternoon.....wind always picked up in the afternoons and had 2 or so ft waves and a cross wind and I'd have a couple miles of open water to get back to the dock.
BTDT, You asked and you have your answer.

Good Luck,

Mark

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm leaning towards the Aluminum Starcraft (1986 Starcraft with 70 hp Johnson)

Yet I don't want to buy another 'can of worms', and Aluminum seems much easier to inspect, and a safer bet.

Maybe I'm just looking for people to agree with me,

As a completely and totally objective, impartial, outside observer, I agree with you:D

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Go with the starcraft. Not only will you likely have less problems with the aluminum hull, the motor is significantly newer and better chance of getting parts. That is IF the condition of the boat is decent. Good luck.